Pireps on Avionics

Old March 11th 05, 04:18 AM
Robbie S.

Default Pireps on Avionics

I am planning to put some avionics in a C182 I bought (Garmin GNS430,
GMA340, 106A etc.). Someone made a remark that if I go to Oshkosh this
year, I could probably get it done quite inexpensively while I am there.

Please let me know if anyone has had any good/bad experience with this ?

....Robbie.

Old March 11th 05, 05:26 AM
Mike Rapoport

Whoever told you this has either never been to OSH or didn,t communicate to
you very well. Exactly who at OSH is supposed to put the new stuff in?

Mike
MU-2

Old March 11th 05, 10:10 AM
Robbie S.

I haven't a clue.... never been there. That is why I asked.....

Thanks.

....Robbie.

nk.net...

Old March 11th 05, 02:35 PM
Jay Honeck

They probably meant dealers do have specials, but nobody installs
anything.

Which, IMHO, is a huge opportunity at OSH.

For example, most large motorcycle rallies (like Americade in New York -- a
rough parallel to OSH for aircraft) offer similar savings on accessories
(they even have GPS, just like we do) -- but, most importantly, they offer
to install the stuff ON THE SPOT.

I've often wondered why some enterprising young avionics tech doesn't take
this to heart, and offer a "mobile installation" option. They could drive
their van out to your plane in the North 40, and install your new toys, for
a fee.

I'll bet they would clean up.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 05, 02:41 PM
Mike Rapoport

Oshkosh, er Airventure, is basically you and 700,000 of your closest
personal friends all in the same place to look at airplanes and airplane
stuff. It is a great place to touch and feel your future purchases and to
buy non-panel mount stuff but not to get them installed.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 11th 05, 03:32 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:
I've often wondered why some enterprising young avionics tech doesn't take
this to heart, and offer a "mobile installation" option. They could drive
their van out to your plane in the North 40, and install your new toys, for
a fee.

I'd be surprised if someone isn't doing just that, but I have to admit that I've
never actually seen it done there.

As a potential buyer of the service, I'd be skeptical of the warranty issues.

Dave
Old March 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Jay Honeck

As a potential buyer of the service, I'd be skeptical of the warranty

issues.

True enough. To combat this, the service would have to be offered
under the auspices of one of the big avionics houses, like Pacific
Coast Avionics. That way any warranty problems could be addressed.

The service would obviously have to be limited to relatively simple
jobs, like replacing an existing com, or adding back seat jacks to an
existing intercom -- that sort of minor alteration. You obviously
wouldn't want to be adding radar or a GNS-530 while camped out in the
North 40.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 05, 08:42 PM
jsmith

Until EAA got wind of it.
You know as well as I do they would want THEIR cut of any payment for
services.
Then of course there are the other aviation businesses based on the
field that would complain about the gypsy mechanics/techs taking THEIR
business.

Old March 11th 05, 09:15 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've often wondered why some enterprising young avionics tech doesn't take
this to heart, and offer a "mobile installation" option. They could drive
their van out to your plane in the North 40, and install your new toys, for
a fee.

For one thing, the EAA would almost certainly want a cut, which would increase
the price right there. For another thing, if a tech goes into the field to
install something, the job usually becomes more difficult, and the tech
naturally charges more. There are great benefits to being able to walk into your
storeroom for something or do some of the work at your bench that you can't hope
to obtain working out of a van. Of course, if your "van" is something the size
of a large U-haul, maybe it would work out, but even then, you have gas
expenses.

Logically, equipment installation at Oshkosh would cost you more than getting it
done when you get home, not less.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.