Pappy Boyington Honored

Old August 9th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Pappy Boyington Honored

It's wonderful that someone has pushed this through for Boyington.
Be advised however, that Greg was a fairly private guy who really didn't
seek out or particularly appreciate this kind of singled out attention.
In fact, aside from his VERY close personal buddies, Greg kept pretty
well away from this kind of thing. I wouldn't be half surprised that
depending on the mood he was in when he got this news, if he didn't
attend any ceremony attached to this event.
Boyington felt quite strongly that the REAL heroes of the war were still
out there...dead! When people cornered him on occasion and started
laying on the hero stuff, he could actually be quite colorful with his
Personally, I'm glad this has been done for him. Greg Boyington was a
regular guy.

Dudley Henriques

RL Anderson wrote:
Folks,

The airport in Couer d'Alene Idaho is getting a new name. It will be
known as Pappy Boyington Field. The story is located he

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...n_Airport.html

Kind of late, but better late than never.

Rick

Old August 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman[_2_]

On Aug 9, 8:28 am, wrote:
On Aug 9, 8:51 am, C J Campbell

On 2007-08-09 07:36:32 -0700, RL Anderson said:

Folks,

The airport in Couer d'Alene Idaho is getting a new name. It will be
known as Pappy Boyington Field. The story is located he

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...n_Airport.html

Kind of late, but better late than never.

Rick

No doubt the students at the University of Washington will protest.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Ha! Let 'em protest! The airport is in Idaho, not Washington. By
the way, we are sending our Boise State Broncos to UW in September to
kick a little Husky butt. That will give them something else to whine
about...

Dean- Hide quoted text -

Your Broncos aren't gonna kick anything if they can't come up with a
more creative offense...

(NOTE: Big Tongue In Cheek...I was at that Fiesta Bowl working for
FOX.)

That was without a doubt the most exciting game ever. Even in the TV
truck we were comin' out of our seats!! And of course our bosses
couldn't ask for a more fairy tale ending than the win, followed by
the proposal. Cute kids and I wish them all the best.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old August 9th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Dudley Henriques said:
In fact, aside from his VERY close personal buddies, Greg kept pretty
well away from this kind of thing. I wouldn't be half surprised that
depending on the mood he was in when he got this news, if he didn't
attend any ceremony attached to this event.

Well, considering that he died in 1988, I think he's going to pass this
one up.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations in which he
Old August 9th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Dudley Henriques said:
In fact, aside from his VERY close personal buddies, Greg kept pretty
well away from this kind of thing. I wouldn't be half surprised that
depending on the mood he was in when he got this news, if he didn't
attend any ceremony attached to this event.

Well, considering that he died in 1988, I think he's going to pass this
one up.

I noted the way I had expressed this paragraph in the post but decided
that the end sentence saying that Greg "WAS" a regular guy was enough to
clarify! I should have realized that this is Usenet, and I'm dealing
with people here whom I don't know and who don't know me.
Dudley Henriques
Old August 9th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would not be caught dead betting in favor of the UW for anything.
However, the Broncos were lucky last year. They should not even think
about playing against *real* football teams.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor- Hide quoted text -

Oregon State and Hawaii aren't real football teams? U of Utah? OU?

Where did UW finish in the PAC 10 last season?

Lets see....

USC 7-2 11-2
California 7-2 10-3
Oregon State 6-3 10-4
UCLA 5-4 7-6
Oregon 4-5 7-6
Arizona State 4-5 7-6
Arizona 4-5 6-6
Washington State 4-5 6-6
Washington 3-6 5-7
Stanford 1-8 1-11

Oh, there they are! Right above the Stanford band!

Where did BSU finish?

Boise State 8-0 13-0
Hawaii 7-1 11-3
San Jose State 5-3 9-4
Nevada 5-3 8-5
Fresno State 4-4 4-8
Idaho 3-5 4-8
New Mexico State 2-6 4-8
Louisiana Tech 1-7 3-10
Utah State 1-7 1-11

Yeah, guess you are right. BSU will be very lucky to win...

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old August 9th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

I noted the way I had expressed this paragraph in the post but decided
that the end sentence saying that Greg "WAS" a regular guy was enough to
clarify! I should have realized that this is Usenet, and I'm dealing with
people here whom I don't know and who don't know me.

Well, Col. Boyington may have considered himself a regular guy and may have
acted as such, but the American people have spoken and there's no shortage
of people including WWII vets and at least one humble ex-POW I knew who
considered him to be a national hero maybe BECAUSE he was such a regular guy
(except in the cockpit) who came up and rallied other ordinary guys in a
time of deadly and critical necessity.

Ie, he wasn't a West Point glory-seeker like many officers, and he certainly
didn't fly a desk and take credit for everybody else's successes. In fact I
think his blue-collar mentality is part of the reason -why- he deserves the
status as a national hero.

-c

Old August 9th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gattman wrote:
[...]

Actually Greg graduated from the University of Washington and was no
slouch in the "brains department".
Boyington realized all too well that the American people like to honor
their "heroes" as well they should honor these people.
He also had great personal feelings about those who didn't survive the
war and were still out there. To him, and he told me this more than
once, THEY were HIS heroes.

It was for this reason he generally didn't take too well to being
referred to as a hero in any shape or form and usually shied away from
any and all situations created by civilians that singled him out for
special attention.
Greg Boyington deserves any honor his country decides to give to him.
Just remember that there are those who seek these honors and those who
don't seek them. Greg was definately a non-seeker of this type of
notoriety. This simple fact in no way infers that Greg Boyington doesn't
deserve this honor.
I believe he deserves it. I just wouldn't walk up to the Greg Boyington
I knew and tell him he deserved it without being ready to duck :-)

Dudley Henriques

Old August 9th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 9, 2:05 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Gattman wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

Well I for one am proud to have an airport in my home state named for
him. Too bad Washington state missed the boat.

I grew up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep on T.V. which is where I first
found out who he was and what he had done. The corsairs were pretty
cool too!

Dean W.
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old August 9th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gattman wrote:
[...]

Greg wasn't particularly enamored with the show, as were a lot of the
VMF214 survivors but went along with the "program" so to speak.
The general mood among the 214 guys was that it was a "show" :-))
You're right, Corsairs are great airplanes, as are all the great WW2
prop fighters. When the present crop are finally gone, the world will
never again see the likes of these wonderful noisy smelly machines.
:-)
Dudley Henriques
Old August 9th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

I believe he deserves it. I just wouldn't walk up to the Greg Boyington I
knew and tell him he deserved it without being ready to duck :-)

It's funny how often words to the effect of "being ready to duck" come up
with regard to Boyington from people I talk to who knew him.

Maybe the college memorial could feature a youthful Boyington holding a
student senator in a headlock with Jackson's "The Union Must and Shall be
Preserved" inscribed underneath.

-c