Yeager Oops

Old October 7th 03, 02:39 AM

I didn't state a "fact". Note I wrote "IIRC". Apparently I don't RC. I
thought I read in his biography, what, nearly 20 years ago?, that he &
Glennis divorced in the '50s.

Old October 7th 03, 03:54 AM
Ron

I was in pilot training class 56U. We flew the T6 in primary after
about 14 hours in the PA-18. A lot of solo students joined the "garden
club" by losing directional control on the landing roll. The first
crash I ever saw was called a "rudder trim tab stall" in a T6. A
student let the torque, lack of trim, and lack of nose down control
get him on a go-around. He added power and his nose pitched up and
left into a stall. We were at a little dirt strip at Castroville, TX
standing about 50 yards from the crash. The plane was in bad shape,
the student was unhurt.

Gene Myers

Small world. I flew parachuters from Castroville end of 2001. A tornado
recently hit the airport.

Were you in pilot training at Hondo? I flew there earlier in 2001 on a cloud
seeding project, right before the airport was...ahem..hit by a tornado.

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old October 7th 03, 04:20 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Ron" wrote in message

Were you in pilot training at Hondo? I flew there earlier in 2001 on a

cloud
seeding project, right before the airport was...ahem..hit by a tornado.

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

A tornado??? See.......!!! That cloud seeding will get ya EVERY time!!!!!!
:-))))
Next thing you know, they'll be cloning sheep!!!! :-)))))

Reminds me of the story of two Indians, back in the forties,each sending
smoke signals from two different mountain tops spanning the desert at White
Sands. Suddenly, the atom bomb test goes off between them. "WOW", said one
to himself,"I wish to hell I"D said THAT!!!!!"
:-))))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old October 7th 03, 07:24 AM
Ron

"Ron" wrote in message

Were you in pilot training at Hondo? I flew there earlier in 2001 on a

cloud
seeding project, right before the airport was...ahem..hit by a tornado.

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

A tornado??? See.......!!! That cloud seeding will get ya EVERY time!!!!!!
:-))))
Next thing you know, they'll be cloning sheep!!!! :-)))))

haha...actually the tornado happened right after I delivered the plane back to
Fargo ND at the right after the end of the seeding contract...Well obviously
not the end of the storm season, since that tornado hit the airport right when
i got back.

I did however get back from a seeding mission to find the WW2 hangar we used,
to be quite on fire. Did manage to move my car just in time, but lots of
planes were lot, not the mention that very large hangar with lots of military
stenciling to still be found all around in there.
Avweb.com published the photos I took of the hangar upon my return. Even found
some writing in the concrete next to the hangar from a 1943 navigator class.

Was probably an electrical short in some of that old wiring and then that old
wood really took off and the hangar was completely destroyed.

Cloud seeding into thunderstorms sure was interesting and rather educational
too for knowing the dynamics of thunderstorm development and how it related to
aviation.

One of my copilots is now at Kingville NAS for instrument training and I think
all of his friends and instructors have heard all the stories, especially a
certain case of nausea I had after a very early and very unexpected flight on a
early sunday morning that utilized a empty beef jerky bag.