Epps 1907 monoplane at NBAA 2007

Old September 28th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Epps 1907 monoplane at NBAA 2007

Errol Groff wrote in
:

My friend, Ford Martyn, who has since passed away built a replica of a
Ben Epps designed bi-plane. This was in the early 1970's.

Wow. Good man!
A flying replica, was it?
Any idea if it's still around or what the registration was?

Bertie
Old September 28th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Errol Groff wrote in
:

My friend, Ford Martyn, who has since passed away built a replica of a
Ben Epps designed bi-plane. This was in the early 1970's.

Wow. Good man!
A flying replica, was it?
Any idea if it's still around or what the registration was?

Don't see anything like that listed with 'Martyn' as the builder's name, but
"Ben T. Epps" is listed as building N4975W, a "BEN T. EPPS 1930". 1964 is listed
as its manufacturing date.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 28th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Errol Groff wrote in
:

My friend, Ford Martyn, who has since passed away built a replica
of a Ben Epps designed bi-plane. This was in the early 1970's.

Wow. Good man!
A flying replica, was it?
Any idea if it's still around or what the registration was?

Don't see anything like that listed with 'Martyn' as the builder's
name, but "Ben T. Epps" is listed as building N4975W, a "BEN T. EPPS
1930". 1964 is listed as its manufacturing date.

That must be it since Ben Epps died in the original. Shame as it was a
pretty airplane. Looks like a baby Eaglerock. I believe the '30 biplane was
to go into production, but the accident put a stop to that, obviously.

Bertie
Old September 28th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

Indeed it was a flying replica. I recall one day I was with him and
as we turned base for landing a P-51 zoomed in from the right on a
high speed fly by down the runway. We hit the wash from that plane
and rocked wildly. Ford's flying skill saved our bacon that day I do
believe.

I have no knowledge of what happend to the craft after he sold it. He
moved on to building a Steward Headwind. A sort of Aeronca C3 looking
plane. As plans built it had lift struts but Ford re-designed it to
have flying and landing wires. One night as we were working in the
loft assembling a wing another ai port ner- do- well came in a
commented "HA! I see you built two left wings!" We looked at the
wing leaning against the wall and the one on the saw horses and sure
enough that is exactly what we had done. We were able to save the
spare and two evenings later we had a RIGHT wing built and things
moved on. That was a long time ago now but I still miss my friend
greatly.

Errol Groff
EAA 60159

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Errol Groff wrote in
:

Old September 28th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Errol Groff wrote in
:

[...]

Brilliant!
I know the headwind allright. I have some plans for it buried somewhere.
Excellent idea with the flying wires.

I've seen warnings about building two of the same wing alright, but I
didn't think anyone actually had ever done it! I made some wrong side root
ribs, having said that!

What engine did your friend stick on the Epps?

Bertie

Old September 29th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:26:57 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Errol Groff wrote in
:

[...]

Gosh, it was so long ago that I really don't have any idea. I seem to
recall that it was a flat four so probably Continental or perhaps a
GPU Lycoming. Just guesses but I am pretty sure that it was not
anything fnacy line a small radial.

Errol
Old September 29th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Errol Groff wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:26:57 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Errol Groff wrote in
m:

[...]

Just curious. The original had a 40 HP Ford and then a Cirrus or Gypsy
inline which looked perfect. Drawings were published for homebuilding
the airplane in Popular Aviation about 1933 or 34. I have those
drawings, but they're pretty sparse even compared to the other airplanes
published in that mag around that time like the Corbens and Heaths. An
experienced builder would have no problem but it's just something worth
thinking about for a future date when I don't have 20 projects lined up!

Bertie

Old September 30th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Errol Groff wrote in
:

[...]

IIRC, in the early days of the Vari-Ez, Bert Rutan maintained a BBS to
assist builders in exchanging as many as practical of the duplicate parts
they created. I have no idea how many there were, and no longer recall
whether the BBS was electronic or part of a paper newsletter, but it was
apparently not unknown at the time.

Peter