Kamikaze - ballast gear and 5lb incendiary bomb for 'divine wind' balloon

Old May 16th 07, 08:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default Kamikaze - ballast gear and 5lb incendiary bomb for 'divine wind' balloon

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamikaze - ballast gear and 5lb incendiary bomb for 'divine wind' balloon.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	11494
Old May 17th 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

One or two of those balloons landed near Molson, WA setting stubble fields
afire during the fall of 1945.

I was a wee lad then living at Molson (east of Oroville, WA and Osoyoos, BC)
on my granddad's ranch, of which, the back fence was the Canadian line.

Gene

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old May 17th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Frank from Deeetroit

"Gene S. Park" wrote in message
. ..
One or two of those balloons landed near Molson, WA setting stubble fields
afire during the fall of 1945.

I was a wee lad then living at Molson (east of Oroville, WA and Osoyoos,
BC) on my granddad's ranch, of which, the back fence was the Canadian
line.

Gene

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

Cheers

Dave Kearton

One of these landed in the Livonia/Farmington Hills area, a suburb of
Detroit. I cannot find any newspaper articles from the day on the landing.
To my knowlege, no one was injured and no device exploded.

Old May 17th 07, 11:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Fabio

"Frank from Deeetroit"
"Gene S. Park" wrote in message
One or two of those balloons landed near Molson, WA setting stubble
fields

afire during the fall of 1945.
Gene

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

Cheers

Dave Kearton

One of these landed in the Livonia/Farmington Hills area, a suburb of
Detroit. I cannot find any newspaper articles from the day on the
landing. To my knowlege, no one was injured and no device exploded.

You can't find any article. USA government asked newspapers not to publish
any news on the baloons and their effects.
Japan having no feed back thought it was a failure and dropped the action.
ciao
Fabio

Old May 18th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

Many of the balloons arrived over Canada and the US after the war had ended.
The government censored the news under the guise of the bombs were top
secret. There apparently were a few exceptions of local reportage because
local witnesses had spread the news.

Gene