A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Issues with Dell Streak

Old March 26th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]
external usenet poster

Default Issues with Dell Streak

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 7:15:30 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I just heard from Wade that Windows 10 is preventing the update from
happening. It appears to be a driver issue and I doubt there are any
Windows 10 drivers for a Dell Streak. Can anybody here help? I've
suggested finding a Windows Vista or 8 computer to do the update.

Dan (Hater of all things Windows, but refuse the Apple kool-aid)

On 3/24/2017 11:12 PM, Wade G wrote:
Thanks for the input!
I'm working on Dan's outline tonight and will report on results.
Wade

--
Dan, 5J

I haven't seen any coolaid but the Mac and iPad work great for me. I spent a LOT of years working with Windows stuff and I can't believe just how much easier to work with the Apple stuff is.

Old March 26th 17, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G
external usenet poster

I'd agree that learning windows stuff has a curve but I tried iGlide on the iPhone. Useless trying to see the iPhone in the sun! Hence, I am on the hunt currently to resurrect this Streak.
Old March 26th 17, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G
external usenet poster

Tried again to get onto the XCSoar forum (where this issue belongs) with no password code sent to my email. Does anyone have any contact info for an administrator? I looked for one but couldn't find an email address to contact them.
Update on the Streak....no joy. Still not able to get Windows 10 to recognize the Streak via USB when in fastboot mode.
Old March 26th 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 2:31:15 AM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:
Tried again to get onto the XCSoar forum (where this issue belongs) with no password code sent to my email. Does anyone have any contact info for an administrator? I looked for one but couldn't find an email address to contact them.

Try Max Kellerman. He seems to be the head of XCsoar development.Search the archives of this list. I think he is on it occasionally.
Old March 26th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Did you check your junk mail? Wouldn't be the first time an email I was waiting for ended up there, even if I had received emails from that address before. Shrug.
Has happened on Windows as well as Apple OS.
Old March 26th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

If you don't have a gmail account, set one up and use it to register the
Streak.

You may also get this thing to work by copying the necessary files
directly to your SD card on your PC and then install the card and go
through the setup procedures. I've not tried that and don't have the in
depth knowledge to state that it will work, but I do know you can
install applications that way using .apk files.

On 3/25/2017 5:52 PM, Wade G wrote:
That is logical but my attempts to register are met with no email to me to get the reg completed. Until then I have a new toy (actually an old Streak) to play with and I'm too obsessive to wait!
Wade

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 27th 17, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G
external usenet poster

I tried the SD card. Android 1.6 doesn't seem to have the option to allow for programs that are not straight from the android market to be installed. It tells me it's doing it for my security. A nanny!
Old March 27th 17, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 8:32:54 AM UTC+3, Wade G wrote:
I tried the SD card. Android 1.6 doesn't seem to have the option to allow for programs that are not straight from the android market to be installed. It tells me it's doing it for my security. A nanny!

I've never used Android as old as 1.6, but it would be quite surprising if you can't install APK files from a PC command line using the "adb" program.
Old March 27th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Gough[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 1:32:54 AM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:
I tried the SD card. Android 1.6 doesn't seem to have the option to allow for programs that are not straight from the android market to be installed.. It tells me it's doing it for my security. A nanny!

I am not sure how you are attempting to download the program but regardless of Android version if you can connect your Streak to the internet go to:
http://download.xcsoar.org/releases/6.8.7/ANDROID/ and download the .apk file, it should download to your downloads file on your Streak. You will need to download a file manager program to access the file if it does not install automatically, I use Astro, you may find a better one. Before you attempt installation go to: SettingsApplicationsUnknown sources this will allow the installation to proceed.

It should work, it did for my Streak 1.6.

Regardless you will not be happy with the performance you need to upgrade. You might not be able to upgrade using Windows 10 but give it a try and if it does not cooperate find a friend with a lower operating system.

Before you attempt to upgrade read my previous post about using the QDL tool to reconfigure your Streak 1.6 to accept the 2.3.3 Olleh upgrade.
Old March 28th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G
external usenet poster

Things are on standby as the old Streak starts a tour of the western US. It's on it's way to Dan's to see if his older Windows and computer that has successfully accomplished the task can recognize this Streak.
My computer is stuck with Windows 10 and furthermore, who knows what modifications our 2yr old daughter has done to it when we're not watching!
Will update as needed.
Wade