Boeing 747 & 777 autoland in crosswind certification video - impressive!

Old November 3rd 05, 08:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Boeing 747 & 777 autoland in crosswind certification video - impressive!

Not me. Quicktime crashes every time I try to view one of Jay's
quicktime clips. The other media formats, however, work fine.

Getting "single-click playback" on a computer is not as easy as it seems.
Both Quicktime and RealPlayer have "issues"...

In fact, this is such a common problem, that I've created this page:

http://alexisparkinn.com/video_tech_support.htm

Try following the instructions there -- let me know if you still can't get
'em to go.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 05, 09:08 PM
Stefan

Jay Honeck wrote:

In fact, this is such a common problem, that I've created this page:

http://alexisparkinn.com/video_tech_support.htm

Jay, the problem with your QuickTime movies is definitely at the serer
(i.e. your) side. I'm working on a Mac (i.e. no wincrap player) and
watch streamed ("one-click", as you call it) QuickTime movies pretty
often from within many different browsers and standalone players. This
has always worked without any glitch, except from your site.

Stefan
Old November 3rd 05, 09:21 PM
Skywise

Matt Whiting wrote in newsvmaf.2360$lb.177570
@news1.epix.net:

Snipola
Are you using IE? I'm using Netscape. Maybe that makes a difference.

Matt

Netscape 7.1 on W2Kpro SP4, but I use GetRight download manager
for all my downloads. I need the resume d/l capability for those
100+ megabyte downloads on this slow dial up. Can't get any form
of high speed at my location.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Supernews sucks - blocking google, usenet.com & newsfeeds.com posts
Old November 3rd 05, 09:29 PM
Peter Duniho

"Stefan" wrote in message
Jay, the problem with your QuickTime movies is definitely at the serer
(i.e. your) side.

If it's his server, then why do Quicktime files play just fine on my
computer, with a single click?

Old November 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
Skywise

George Patterson wrote in
newsDqaf.16777$mb3.11779@trndny06:

Skywise wrote:

George P, what file are you trying that's bringing up Winamp?

When I click on the link Jay posted, A little box comes up with the file
name "Boeing 747 Extreme Landing.mpg", the text ":what do you want to do
with this file?", and two radio buttons, the top one of which says "Open
with." The windo beside that button has "Winamp (default)" in it. When I
click OK, that box disappears, I get a "downloads complete" message,
then the Winamp window appears. It has the file name in it, but nothing
else. Clicking "Play" has no effect.

Winamp (AFAIK) only plays audio, no video. MP3 is an mpeg format so
there could be some confusion going on there.

Sounds like you have some file extension association problems.

Quite likely. I've had some problems with spyware lately, and Ad-aware
has probably reset some stuff. What's a good player for these on a
Windows 2000 OS?

I have several multimedia players and sometimes I have to open
the appropriate player and load the file from within rather than
the double-click method. Some formats, like avi, can have a wide
variety of possible codecs. One avi will play in one player, the
next may need a different player.

But in answer to your question, I have PowerDVD 4.0, Quicktime 6.5,
Real Player 10.5, and Divx 2.5.3, and tons of codecs. I rarely
have a problem except with some .wmv files and that I don't have
the newest codecs yet.

Come to think of it, it may just be a codec problem.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you
miss him.

Old November 3rd 05, 09:39 PM
Stefan

Peter Duniho wrote:

If it's his server, then why do Quicktime files play just fine on my
computer, with a single click?

I have no idea, sometimes some combinations work and others don't, and
sometimes it's just the karma of the user. But since I have been
watching streamed QT movies from a myriad of servers with no glitch, and
since there are obviously many others who have a problem with his
server, the conclusion that the problem is at his side is valid.
Besides, if there's one installation with an absolutley clean QuickTime
environment with the newest components in the universe, then it's
certainly my Mac.

Stefan
Old November 3rd 05, 10:11 PM
Ron Garret

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
I could swear there is a free web site where you can upload a music file
and have it identify the song for you, but I can't find the link for it
right now.

Okay, I found it: www.musicbrainz.org

Though, as it turns out, that song doesn't appear to be in their database
(at least, my attempt to look it up failed). So it wouldn't have helped
anyway.

I found it on iTunes. Thanks!

rg
Old November 3rd 05, 10:13 PM
Ron Garret

In article ,
Stefan wrote:

Peter Duniho wrote:

If it's his server, then why do Quicktime files play just fine on my
computer, with a single click?

I have no idea, sometimes some combinations work and others don't, and
sometimes it's just the karma of the user. But since I have been
watching streamed QT movies from a myriad of servers with no glitch, and
since there are obviously many others who have a problem with his
server, the conclusion that the problem is at his side is valid.
Besides, if there's one installation with an absolutley clean QuickTime
environment with the newest components in the universe, then it's
certainly my Mac.

The most likely cause is that the server is sending the wrong
"Content-type" header. Some systems can recover from this (by e.g.
letting the file extension override the content-type header) and others
can't (or haven't been configured to).

rg
Old November 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Stefan

Ron Garret wrote:

The most likely cause is that the server is sending the wrong
"Content-type" header. Some systems can recover from this (by e.g.
letting the file extension override the content-type header) and others
can't (or haven't been configured to).

I have not too much insight into the technical details of QT, but this
explanation makes sense for three reasons.

1. If I try to watch the movie on line, the player (whichever) downloads
the whole file and displays the error mesage only at the moment when it
tries to play the file.

2. File name extensions have no tradition on Macs, so no Mac user in his
right mind would overwrite the information given within a file by this
silly three letter extension.

3. Off-line watching works, so the file data are correct.

Stefan
Old November 3rd 05, 10:44 PM
George Patterson

Skywise wrote:

Winamp (AFAIK) only plays audio, no video.

It seems to do wmv just fine. Maybe it just can't handle mp3.

I'll take a look at some of the other packages you mentioned.