Have You Given a Stranger a Ride?

Old March 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Have You Given a Stranger a Ride?

In another thread the "folks by the fence" -- airport spectators --
have been discussed, and a couple of us have stated that we've always
wanted to shut down and ask if anyone wanted to go for a ride.

In my opinion, this single act of kindness would absolutely make
someone's day, and could possibly change their life. And no other act
could help improve the image of general aviation more.

Yet, I've never done it, for a myriad of reasons -- and I don't know
anyone who has.

Have you? If not, why not?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Yet, I've never done it, for a myriad of reasons -- and I don't know
anyone who has.

Have you? If not, why not?

Because few acts of kindness go unpunished...

Seriously, in these days and ages (litiguous times, post 9/11
paranoia, etc.) it sounds less and less like a good idea;

However, within a well organized framework, e.g., Young Eagles,
Angel Flights, CAP Cadets rides, etc., why not?

I did take a few kids up as YE -- not as many as I would have
wished, but one's aviation budget is not unlimited. I also
invited the occasional colleague or neighbor, but they were not
complete strangers.

--Sylvain
Old March 5th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 3/5/06 11:40 AM, in article
, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

In another thread the "folks by the fence" -- airport spectators --
have been discussed, and a couple of us have stated that we've always
wanted to shut down and ask if anyone wanted to go for a ride.

In my opinion, this single act of kindness would absolutely make
someone's day, and could possibly change their life. And no other act
could help improve the image of general aviation more.

Yet, I've never done it, for a myriad of reasons -- and I don't know
anyone who has.

Have you? If not, why not?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Yes, once. I mentioned it here and it dawned on me through the comments in
return that I was taking a pretty big security and financial risk.
Everything turned out OK and the flight school owner had spoken to the guy
beforehand when I mentioned it to him, and since the stranger passed his
inspection I felt it was fine.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old March 6th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...
In another thread the "folks by the fence" -- airport spectators --
have been discussed, and a couple of us have stated that we've always
wanted to shut down and ask if anyone wanted to go for a ride.

In my opinion, this single act of kindness would absolutely make
someone's day, and could possibly change their life. And no other act
could help improve the image of general aviation more.

Yet, I've never done it, for a myriad of reasons -- and I don't know
anyone who has.

Have you? If not, why not?

If you go to http://www.youngeagles.org/logbook/
And type in my name you'll see how many "official" times I've done this. Multiply that times 2 and you'd probably be
close to the actual number.

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old March 6th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yet, I've never done it, for a myriad of reasons -- and I don't know
anyone who has.

Have you? If not, why not?

Yes. The majority of my "stranger flights" have occurred as both Angel
Flights and local charity fundraiser flights. Off the top of my head
(logbook has the details) I have flown about 85 strangers to date.

--
Peter
Old March 6th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes. The majority of my "stranger flights" have occurred as both Angel
Flights and local charity fundraiser flights. Off the top of my head
(logbook has the details) I have flown about 85 strangers to date.

Good for you!

I'm ashamed to admit that I have only done Young Eagle flights a couple of
times, and I've never given a "fence sitter" a ride. It always seems that
we spot them while taxiing *in* from a flight (rather than on the way out),
or we've got all four seats full, or we're in a hurry to get somewhere.

All good reasons, but I'm determined to work around this, somehow. If we
want GA to grow and prosper, we've got to plant the seed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-05, Wizard of Draws wrote:
Yes, once. I mentioned it here and it dawned on me through the comments in
return that I was taking a pretty big security and financial risk.

Non Angel Flight, I took a couple of strangers once, they were just
hanging around by a rural Texas airport and I'd found the little lunch
place there to be closed.

I've never even to this day considered security or liability risks. It
was in 1999 (IIRC) so it was before everyone was howling about GA
security. As for liability, I had no assets anyway.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Have You Given a Stranger a Ride? Jay Honeck Piloting 41 March 12th 06 04:06 AM
Shuttle Ride Michael 182 Piloting 3 July 27th 05 06:15 PM
Glider Ride - Gift Michael Aerobatics 1 December 7th 04 10:46 AM
Glider Ride - Gift Michael Aviation Marketplace 0 December 7th 04 01:10 AM
Glider Ride - Gift Michael Piloting 0 December 7th 04 12:39 AM