McCain in '08

Old July 12th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default McCain in '08

"Jessica Rhodes" wrote in message

Unless they risked their ass as McCain did and served as a POW
themselves,
his political opponents' opinion isn't worth cold **** in an old boot.

I admire Sen McCain's service in the military and the sacrifices he
endured several decades ago,

I don't for a second admire that he was a POW. It wasn't his choice. He
didn't want to be one. Having been raised by a POW and seen the long-term
effects of what subhumans did to him, there's nothing about his experience
to admire. One can only respect them and remember to give thanks. I would
have been more clear had I said "his political opponents' opinion OF HIS
MILITARY SERVICE isn't worth..." which is what I meant. Criticising his
political policies or career is of course fair, but when you start picking
on a POW for being a POW, you are patently unworthy to be a leader of
Americans.

To say that someone can not disagree with a political position, opinion,
or a politician without insulting one's former service as a soldier,
sailor, or airman is fundamentally ridiculous.

I absolutely agree that once a person becomes a politician they're fair game
for public opinion, BUT, in no way does that give another politician an
excuse to discredit or call into question his military record, whether it's
McCain, Murtha, Bush Sr. or anybody else the United States of America saw
fit to decorate.

Here's the bottom line. McCain was a POW. He gave many years of his life
in service of his country. To attempt to diminish or devalue that for
political leverage is absolutely beneath contempt. That's the way it is.
Semper Fi.

-c

Old July 12th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

I'm pretty sure that gatt was reacting to the opponent's trashing of
McCain's
POW experience rather than any opponent disagreeing with any political
position.

Exactly. I was less than clear in my previous post, but that's what I meant.

(I disagree strongly with much of what Murtha says, but in other forums
there are folks calling him a coward, a traitor and a liar, which is to
suggest that the Navy and the Marine Corps honor cowardice or that they lied
when they saw fit to decorate him for heroism. Such an accusation
challenges not only the integrity of the Murtha, but of the Marine Corps,
and if a politican does that, he's not going to get my vote, he's going to
get my absolute contempt. Semper Fi, et al.)

-c

Old July 12th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
I admire McCain for his service to the country. I dislike Boyer for his
dis-service to the country.

At least you didn't go on a whacko left wing character assination track,
like certain of the lefties out west...

Character assassination is not a sole tactic of the left wing. The combat
service records of Murtha, Kerry and McCain were all attacked by the right.
I value the integrity of my own political standards which is why I was also
royally ****ed when -some- of the left was accusing GHWB of cowardice for
bailing out of his aircraft.

It's a cheap shot; accusing somebody of cowardice in combat during a life or
death struggle in which the accuser was never close to any similar
situation. Unfortunately, it's a tactic employed by contemptable and
embarrassing elements of both the left -and- right.

-c

Old July 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

The subject is "McCain in '08", so discussion of his involvement in the
:Keating 5" IS relevant to the subject line. Unfortunately, the subject
line is relevant to rec.aviation.piloting only by the a thin thread --
namely McCain's relationship with GA.

In that context, his impact on GA IS relevant, as are character issues.

But the rest of the Keating Five would not be relevant. It appears you've
not followed the thread.

Actually, I have followed it. Naming the "Keating Five" does not stray
from the topic. Any further discussion of them IS irrelevant.

The thread really ought to be on rec.aviation.misc, rather than in
piloting.

Old July 12th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

I admire McCain for his service to the country. I dislike Boyer for his
dis-service to the country.

At least you didn't go on a whacko left wing character assination track,
like certain of the lefties out west...

You just dislike Boyer for breaking with your preconceived notions about
GA. Boyer may have his faults, but lying is not one of them.
Old July 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

by "gatt" Jul 12, 2006 at 05:38 PM

Character assassination is not a sole tactic of the left wing. The combat

service records of Murtha, Kerry and McCain were all attacked by the
right.
I value the integrity of my own political standards which is why I was
also
royally ****ed when -some- of the left was accusing GHWB of cowardice for

bailing out of his aircraft.

It's a cheap shot; accusing somebody of cowardice in combat during a life
or
death struggle in which the accuser was never close to any similar
situation. Unfortunately, it's a tactic employed by contemptable and
embarrassing elements of both the left -and- right

I agree. This is where our politics is. It started with the Robert Bork
SCOTUS hearings, and was perfected by the Clintonistas. Now, many members
of both parties attack each other, rather than debate ideas. Its sad,
actually....

Old July 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("gatt" wrote)
I don't for a second admire that he was a POW. It wasn't his choice. He
didn't want to be one. Having been raised by a POW and seen the long-term
effects of what subhumans did to him, there's nothing about his experience
to admire. One can only respect them and remember to give thanks.

If you would, come back at this again, maybe even from head on, but do,
please, take another swing at this. It's an interesting thought, and
perspective.

Just a reader trying to sort out: the experience, choice, the man, give
thanks, respect, and admire.

Montblack

Old July 12th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

by Orval Fairbairn Jul 12, 2006 at 05:43 PM

You just dislike Boyer for breaking with your preconceived notions about
GA. Boyer may have his faults, but lying is not one of them.

No. He confirmed my notions, which were conceived by my own personal
experiences prior to having even heard of Boyer or the AOPA.

On lying: I agree with Senator McCain, but I won't quibble about whether
intentional distortion or making statements based on partial or biased
info (which Boyer does regularly) constitutes a lie. I happen to think
McCain was being diplomatic, but it is clear that he (correctly) sees
Boyer as a man with zero integrity.

Old July 12th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"gatt" wrote in message

Character assassination is not a sole tactic of the left wing. The combat
service records of Murtha, Kerry and McCain were all attacked by the
right.

They were? Have any examples?