limit of trim = limit of travel?

Old April 26th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

Default limit of trim = limit of travel?

On Apr 27, 12:09*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Interesting. *I was flying my simulated Cessna 182

Specifically, I've been trying to practice slow flight, but it seems to be
really hard to get the aircraft anywhere near its minimum speed. *During the
course of this practice I noticed that even trimming for full nose up didn't
seem to actually get the aircraft down towards the bottom of the green band,
so I was wondering if it were really possible to trim it that far. *

Did you close the throttle? If you did and it won't trim to 65 knots
it's a crap simulation.

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

Stealth Pilot wrote:
/snip/
trim has nothing to do with the movement limits on control surfaces.

/snip/

Stealth,

This is not universally true. On the Douglas DC-6, for instance,
elevator "up" travel is limited by the elevator trim position. Dialing
in the last 5 degrees of nose up trim allows an extra 3 degrees of
elevator "up" travel. This was done to limit elevator "up" movement
with aft CG loading conditions.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old April 26th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 26, 7:58 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Honeck writes:
With practice slow flight can be done in MSFS (and, yes, the trim is
important) but it's all got to be done on the gauges. If you have a second
screen for the instrument panel, that helps.

I'm not sure I understand: Are you saying that you can do slow flight in the
sim as in the real aircraft, except that you have to do it by instruments, or
are you saying that the sim doesn't correctly simulate slow flight at all
(i.e., it can't be done)?

Also, are you using the default aircraft or have you installed add-on
aircraft? For the Cessna I'm flying, I use Carenado's Cessna 182RG II
simulation, which is supposedly pretty good (vastly better than the default
Cessna, of course).

The 182RG, the REAL airplane, has enough pitch trim to maintain slow
flight just above the stall.

Dan
Old April 26th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 26, 11:33 am, WingFlaps wrote:

Look at the size of a trim surface and the size of the elevator. Think
about which one is more powerful. You can't stall a 182 with full
trim, but you can with the yoke. OK?

Cheers

Don't give the impression that the trim tab is doing the flying. It's
not. Trim tab down moves the elevator up, and the elevator controls
the pitch. With some power applied the airplane could stall. Power
off, not likely; just a slow glide. The 182 has one of the most
powerful trims I've come across, apart from the 180/185 stabilizer
trim system that will keep you very busy in an overshoot.

Dan
Old April 26th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

The 182RG, the REAL airplane, has enough pitch trim to maintain slow
flight just above the stall.

I'll continue to experiment.
Old April 26th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

WingFlaps writes:

Did you close the throttle? If you did and it won't trim to 65 knots
it's a crap simulation.

I haven't practiced much so far, but I've set the throttle fairly low. Maybe
I'll try some experiments this afternoon (SoCal time).
Old April 26th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 27, 6:14*am, wrote:
On Apr 26, 11:33 am, WingFlaps wrote:

Look at the size of a trim surface and the size of the elevator. Think
about which one is more powerful. You can't stall a 182 with full
trim, but you can with the yoke. OK?

Cheers

*Don't give the impression that the trim tab is doing the flying. It's
not. Trim tab down moves the elevator up, and the elevator controls
the pitch.

The idea was that if he looked at the area of the trim tab he would
realize it cannot generate full surface deflection. I've not tried
winding in full trim with power on to see if a stall results. I would
have guessed that Mr Cessna would not make the trim that powerful...

Cheers

Old April 26th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

I just tried a few experiments.

Wind zero, clear skies, at 6000 feet MSL, engine idle, trim full nose up.
With 20 gallons in the tanks and no payload (something that would be
impossible to try in real life), as I pull back on the yoke, the stall horn
sounds at 43 KIAS, just like the book says, and a stall begins as soon as the
speed falls any further. With full tanks, 480 lbs payload, and idle throttle,
the horn sounds at 50 KIAS, using the same method. At full throttle, same
full tanks and 480 lbs of payload, again carefully pulling the yoke back, the
horn won't sound until about 45 KIAS.

Does that sound right?
Old April 26th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 27, 7:03*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
I just tried a few experiments.

Wind zero, clear skies, at 6000 feet MSL, engine idle, trim full nose up.
With 20 gallons in the tanks and no payload (something that would be
impossible to try in real life)

Not impossible, you could jump out...

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 27, 7:03*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
I just tried a few experiments

No, that doesn't sound right.
The stall horn is supposed to sound before the stall speed is reached.

Cheers

The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 02:44 AM
speed limit in class B Andrey Serbinenko Piloting 0 July 23rd 06 04:05 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 05:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM