CAI 302; slow download of flight log

Old October 27th 11, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

Default CAI 302; slow download of flight log

Hi all, I downloaded a 4hr 30' flight from the 302 to my PC for the
first time & it took 1hr 10'. I see from previous discussion the baud
rate should increase significantly when downloading flight logs, but
apparently it didn't in this case. Any advice on how to fix this will
be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Old October 27th 11, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 27, 3:01*am, BillT wrote:
Hi all, I downloaded a 4hr 30' flight from the 302 to my PC for the
first time & it took 1hr 10'. I see from previous discussion the baud
rate should increase significantly when downloading flight logs, but
apparently it didn't in this case. Any advice on how to fix this will
be appreciated. Thanks, *Bill

I have never timed a 302 log download. I'd guess that for a 5 hour
flight it takes about 5 minutes. I use my Aero 1530 with the
Cambridge utility for download and have never tried it with a PC. The
nice thing about the 302 is that you never need to take a PC to the
glider, or to take the 302 to a PC.

I can't say for sure that the baud rate does not change during
download but I never heard that before.

BTW the user port specification refers to transfer of 302 log to the
user's device as upload not download. It includes this advice:

"Note: When using this mode at baud rates of 19200 and higher, use of
the
echoing feature is recommended.:

That suggests to me that the log transfer is made at whatever baud
rate the 302 has been set to. The 302 defaults to 4800 baud but the
rate can be changed by any interfacing device. It will always revert
to 4800 next time it powers up.

What PC software are you using for the log transfer?

Andy
Old October 27th 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 10:01 27 October 2011, BillT wrote:
Hi all, I downloaded a 4hr 30' flight from the 302 to my PC for the
first time & it took 1hr 10'. I see from previous discussion the baud
rate should increase significantly when downloading flight logs, but
apparently it didn't in this case. Any advice on how to fix this will
be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

What did you use (software) to do the download????

If you don't use the 302 PC utility you could be there all day. Oh, wait a
minute, you were!

http://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/3UTPC256.zip

Old October 27th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 27, 5:43*am, Peter Wyld wrote:
At 10:01 27 October 2011, BillT wrote:

Hi all, I downloaded a 4hr 30' flight from the 302 to my PC for the
first time & it took 1hr 10'. I see from previous discussion the baud
rate should increase significantly when downloading flight logs, but
apparently it didn't in this case. Any advice on how to fix this will
be appreciated. Thanks, *Bill

What did you use (software) to do the download????

If you don't use the 302 PC utility you could be there all day. Oh, wait a
minute, you were!

http://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/3UTPC256.zip

Downloading time is also affected by the size of the file which is
affected by the logging interval. The recommended logging interval is
4 sec if I recall correct. If it is set to 1 sec it will take 4 times
longer to download.

Ramy
Old October 28th 11, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

On Oct 28, 8:47*am, Ramy wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. I'm using the CAI Utility v. 2.5.6 with a Belkin USB
to serial adaptor. I think the 302 logging interval is 4 sec (but will
check tomorrow). Bill
Old October 30th 11, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

On Oct 28, 12:44*pm, BillT wrote:
On Oct 28, 8:47*am, Ramy wrote:

[...]

check tomorrow). Bill- Hide quoted text -

I checked & the logging interval is set at 4 sec. I also tried another
Belkin USB to serial adaptor, but the download rate was the same. I
then tried to download a flight log from a 302 in another a/c, but
again the download rate was very slow. Any further suggestions?
Old October 31st 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

Thanks everyone. I'm using the CAI Utility v. 2.5.6 with a Belkin USB
to serial adaptor. I think the 302 logging interval is 4 sec (but will
check tomorrow). Bill- Hide quoted text -

I checked & the logging interval is set at 4 sec. I also tried another
Belkin USB to serial adaptor, but the download rate was the same. I
then tried to download a flight log from a 302 in another a/c, but
again the download rate was very slow. Any further suggestions?

I would try downloading to a PC with a REAL serial port, or to a PDA and
so remove the Belkin from the equation.

Tim Newport-Peace

I had this problem once. I can't remember if I was using a Belkin brand
USB-serial, but I was using a "name brand" one (i.e. not the cheapest
no-name brand that I could find). It may very well have been Belkin.

The first time I tried it, it was amazingly slow (like an hour to download
a flight). After some dead-scratching, I went out and bought another
(cheap) USB-Serial (I believe the brand is "Prolific") and it's been
working fine ever since.

I have no explanation for this, but I'd suggest spending $10 to give
another brand of USB-serial. My suggestion would be to try to find one
that has a driver packaged with the unit. I have a theory that some of
the units that don't have their own drivers utilize "generic" drivers, or
else they use an inappropriate driver and this can cause weird problems.
I may be wrong about the driver issue, but buying a cheap Chinese-brand
USB-serial that came with its own driver disk worked for me.

--
Stefan Murry
Old November 8th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT

On Nov 1, 1:51*am, "S. Murry" wrote:
[...]

Stefan Murry- Hide quoted text -

As suggested I tried downloading with a PDA. Resurrected an Ipaq 2490,
loaded the CAI utility program & borrowed a cable. The download of the
4.5Hr flight that had taken 1Hr 10' with the Belkin serial to USB
adaptor, took less than 3' with the Ipaq. Thanks again for
suggestions. Bill
Old November 8th 11, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

On Nov 7, 9:57*pm, BillT wrote:
On Nov 1, 1:51*am, "S. Murry" wrote:

[...]

I don't know much about 302. But I use it for 10 years and one thing
I've noticed is that it doesn't like to download anything, when the
main battery is low. It that is a usually the case after a long
flight.
rk
Old November 8th 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

I don't know much about the inner workings of 302. But from using it
for last 10 years I notice that it doesn't like to download anything
if the main battery is low. My battery is low after most of the long
flights.
rk

Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video [email protected] Piloting 3 February 6th 09 03:55 PM
Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 January 31st 09 04:39 AM
Slow Flight w3n-a Rotorcraft 0 December 4th 08 03:00 PM
Slow Flight Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 43 September 28th 07 02:52 AM
Hazardous Attitudes Testing (was Slow Flight) [email protected] Piloting 6 September 16th 07 01:34 AM