Racing - Thinking about 'Starting Anywhere'

Old December 24th 08, 04:46 AM
RookieStar RookieStar is offline
Junior Member

Default Racing - Thinking about 'Starting Anywhere'

I've seen and read some of the soaring/cross country bibles and tons of articles including the racing rules on the SSA site, but I still haven't found a book, one book, that directly explains all that one needs to know about sailplane racing, from tarmac tie down positioning to in-flight tactics based on the type of task you are flying....

I've asked a number racers some rather basic questions and was surprised at the amount of head scratching?

I've done a lot of racing in other sports and due to the fact that I was able to read and bone up on most all the fundamentals early I was able to work on skills and implement strategies sooner which helped me weave my way into the fleet quicker. More enjoyment.

Once again I find myself the low time RookieStar looking for the Idiots Guide to Sailplane Racing in my pursuit towards anything but DFL.

Where's that book?
Old December 24th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

RookieStar wrote:
[...]

Not exactly a book, and not 100% up to date, but try this:
http://sailplane-racing.org/Articles...llustrated.pdf
Old December 24th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 24, 9:01*am, ZL wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
[...]

Really it comes down to good cross country soaring skills. Yes, there
are the logistical concerns, which
the SRA guide go into, but you need the flying skills first. The best
books for that are the ones by Moffat,
Reichmann, and Byars. They can be hard to find though. You'll get
pointers in there that you
wouldn't think of, like Reichmann recommending running every day to
improve your circulation so you're
sharper in the cockpit.

It really does help to have a mentor as well; they can sharpen up your
logistical practices on the ground and can
fly with you and give you feedback on your judgment. Ultimately
that's what all this comes down to -- the ability
to fly well in a variety of conditions, both personal and
atmospheric. This really is a sport, so just like any other
sport you need a good coach.
Old December 24th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--
RookieStar

SRA Comp guide (already mentioned) + George Moffatt's Winning II.

Go to an SRA racing camp when you get the chance.

-T8
Old December 24th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flying is like sex. You can read about it, or you can do it. Reading
about it is fun, but you'll never learn to do it by reading about it.
Go to the nearest sports class regionals. There you will get all the
one-on-one guidance you could ask for.
John Cochrane
BB
Old December 24th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 23, 9:46*pm, RookieStar RookieStar.

Where's that book?

You can learn a huge amount by crewing for a pilot at a regional or
national contest. Give up a week to crew and I think you'll learn a
lot more than spending the week reading books.

Andy
Old December 25th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can learn a huge amount by crewing for a pilot at a regional or
national contest. *Give up a week to crew and I think you'll learn a
lot more than spending the week reading books.

Andy

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Come crew for me, not for Andy! I land
out in much more fun places!

John Cochrane