A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

More on transponder petition

Old February 27th 04, 07:46 AM
Ian Cant
external usenet poster

Default More on transponder petition

I apologize for my loose terminology in last message. Gliders are exempted within the FAR section 215 from transponder requirements, not by a separate 'exemption letter'. And I was not clear about why I distinguished the 'all airspace above 10,000 ft' from the 'more than 40 / 20 miles' regions.

First, transponders are GOOD TO HAVE.

Second, despite the continued misrepresentation, battery life is not nowadays a significant issue preventing installation and use of transponders.

The real issues are economics - a $3000 transponder installation in a $5000 glider ? - and safety and minimizing regulatory encroachment on airspace use. When safety is concerned, the FAA is not generally concerned about user economics. So our arguments should be based on the safety issues alone.

There are three groups of glider users; those with modern transponder installations, those with older installations, and the rest of us. Those with modern installations can in general operate just like powered aircraft, transponder on whenever FARs require it. Those with no transponder are not immediately affected by the petitioned change. So the petition addresses the hard cases - those with old battery-inhaling transponders plus the occasional 14-hr flight or the return trip on the day after without opportunity to recharge batteries. Hard cases make for poor law, better to have laws that accommodate everyone rather than just a few.

My objections to the wording, not the intent, of the SSA petition go like this. It sets up a whole new class of airspace affecting only SOME users; 10 mile wide doughnuts around the existing 10 mile or 30 mile transponder veils. Are our charts not complicated enpugh already ? By implication, allowing transponder switchoff outside these doughnuts also requires transponder switchon [for those affected] while inside. If this is good for safety, how long before there is some creep, like a requirement that ALL operators in the doughnuts install transponders ?

Who would then be affected ? Well, for starters there is Warner Springs, maybe Crystal, Torrey Pines... look at your own sectionals. All the surviving glider fields reasonably close to metropolitan areas are potentially at risk.

What I think is needed is a general policy statement from the FAA that transponders are GOOD TO HAVE AND USE and that anyone who voluntarily installs one when not required to will NOT be penalized if that installation and its operation does not meet all the requirements of the relevant FAR sections. That emphasises the voluntary nature of these installations and preserves the existing overall 'exemption'. It is permissive and flexible and should encourage widespread installation of transponders in cross-country gliders. It also gets away from the SSA 'liability letter' and the question of non-SSA pilots, and should keep us aligned with balloons and non-electric aircraft.

As a side issue, section 215b is hard to read, but appears to require either Modes A and C or Modes S and C. Section 217 then applies to both VFR and IFR and refers through section 413 [also both VFR and IFR] to Part 43 Appx E where altitude encoding accuracy tests are specified. The difference between VFR and IFR is only that IFR testing is 24-monthly, VFR is on installation and after any maintenance.

Ian

Old February 27th 04, 07:37 PM
Mark James Boyd
external usenet poster

Ian Cant wrote:

First, transponders are GOOD TO HAVE.

Agreed

The real issues are economics - a $3000 transponder installation in a $5000 glider ? - and safety and minimizing regulatory encroachment on airspace use. When safety is concerned, the FAA is not generally concerned about user economics. So our arguments should be based on the safety issues alone.

Again, I'm wondering if there are mode A only transponders
in current manufacture which can be cheap and avoid the
24-month rechecks. 91.215(a) doesn't seem to require
mode C. And mode A aircraft can request waiver of mode C
requirement in a "mode C veil" at any time 91.215(d)(1).

My objections to the wording, not the intent, of the SSA petition go like this. It sets up a whole new class of airspace affecting only SOME users; 10 mile wide doughnuts around the existing 10 mile or 30 mile transponder veils. Are our charts not complicated enpugh already ? By implication, allowing transponder switchoff outside these doughnuts also requires transponder switchon [for those affected] while inside. If this is good for safety, how long before there is some creep, like a requirement that ALL operators in the doughnuts install transponders ?

The mileage wording does seem screwy. I wouldn't have written it this way.
I would have simply said "on aircraft without an electrical
system, the pilot may turn off the transponder if transponder use
is not required during that portion of the flight."

There is another section which allows the pilot to turn off
strobes at the pilot's discretion (to avoid distraction).
This is similar.

What I think is needed is a general policy statement from the FAA that transponders are GOOD TO HAVE AND USE and that anyone who voluntarily installs one when not required to will NOT be penalized if that installation and its operation does not meet all the requirements of the relevant FAR sections. That emphasises the voluntary nature of these installations and preserves the existing overall 'exemption'. It is permissive and flexible and should encourage widespread installation of transponders in cross-country gliders. It also gets away from the SSA 'liability letter' and the question of non-SSA pilots, and should keep us aligned with balloons and non-electric aircraft.

An excellent summary. I think perhaps SSA is starting with a petition
which is very limited in scope, and over time the CFR may get the change.

As a side issue, section 215b is hard to read, but appears to require either Modes A and C or Modes S and C. Section 217 then applies to both VFR and IFR and refers through section 413 [also both VFR and IFR] to Part 43 Appx E where altitude encoding accuracy tests are specified. The difference between VFR and IFR is only that IFR testing is 24-monthly, VFR is on installation and after any maintenance.

True, it is hard to read. 91.215(b) seems to mix "or's" with "and's"
so it is unclear if altitude reporting capability is required.
91.215(a) specifically mentions mode A only, so one would assume that is
OK, otherwise why would it be mentioned at all?

And 91.411 and 91.413 both seem to require 24 month inspection.
So whether you are VFR or IFR, you still have an inspection due
every 24 months ($50-$200). This is a real disincentive too...

I'm gonna say a Proximity poor-man's TCAS, and maybe a Mode A
transponder, is gonna be the cheapie way to go. Sure sure,
mode C is better, but the initial cost and continuing cost and
inspections are a lotta money.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----