and a new pilot/engineer is born.

Old January 15th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
William Hung[_2_]

Default and a new pilot/engineer is born.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...unk-313408.php

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Old January 15th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

William Hung wrote in
:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...an-builds-work
ing-helicopters-from-junk-313408.php

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Holy crap. If it even leaves the ground he must be a genius.

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in
:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...an-builds-work
ing-helicopters-from-junk-313408.php

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Holy crap. If it even leaves the ground he must be a genius.

So you've told us what you think of ultralights. What
do you think of homebuilt helicopters?
Old January 15th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in
:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...an-builds-work
ing-helicopters-from-junk-313408.php
Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Holy crap. If it even leaves the ground he must be a genius.

So you've told us what you think of ultralights. What
do you think of homebuilt helicopters?

I flew a Breezy once and I can tell you it felt REAL strange sitting up
there in a dining room chair with the wind blowing up my butt. It was
kind of an "unusual" sensation to say the least.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 15th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in
:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...an-builds-work
ing-helicopters-from-junk-313408.php

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Holy crap. If it even leaves the ground he must be a genius.

So you've told us what you think of ultralights. What
do you think of homebuilt helicopters?

Eeeek! I don't even like to be around factory built ones when they're
flyin. Giant mindless chainsaws!

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in

:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...n-man-builds-w
ork ing-helicopters-from-junk-313408.php
Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

Holy crap. If it even leaves the ground he must be a genius.

So you've told us what you think of ultralights. What
do you think of homebuilt helicopters?

I flew a Breezy once and I can tell you it felt REAL strange sitting
up there in a dining room chair with the wind blowing up my butt. It
was kind of an "unusual" sensation to say the least.

I got a ride in one. Sorry, on one. The owner made me sit in the front.
And then he did a big steeply turning dive!

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ricky

On Jan 14, 7:19*pm, William Hung wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...-man-builds-wo...

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

I remain extremely skeptical that the thing flys until I see a picture
or video of it in the air.
I mean, 133 hp?? With heavy Toyota car seats (4 of them)? Don't the
smallest helios have over 200 hp?

Ricky
Old January 15th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Charles Vincent

Ricky wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:19 pm, William Hung wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...-man-builds-wo...

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

I remain extremely skeptical that the thing flys until I see a picture
or video of it in the air.
I mean, 133 hp?? With heavy Toyota car seats (4 of them)? Don't the
smallest helios have over 200 hp?

Ricky

Other articles on the helicopter have reported its maximum altitude as
seven feet. He is hoping to build one that will achieve fifteen feet.
Still an achievement, as that is untethered.

Charles
Old January 15th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Charles Vincent wrote in
t:

Ricky wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:19 pm, William Hung wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...-man-builds-wo

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

I remain extremely skeptical that the thing flys until I see a
picture or video of it in the air.
I mean, 133 hp?? With heavy Toyota car seats (4 of them)? Don't the
smallest helios have over 200 hp?

Ricky

Other articles on the helicopter have reported its maximum altitude as
seven feet. He is hoping to build one that will achieve fifteen feet.
Still an achievement, as that is untethered.

If he's really done it, it certainly is.

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
cavelamb himself[_4_]

An accomplishment? Or an accident looking for a crash site?

The 12-meter-long aircraft, which has never flown above a height of
seven feet, is powered by a secondhand 133 horsepower engine from a
Honda Civic. In the basic cockpit there are two Toyota car seats, with a
couple more in the cabin behind. Controls are simple, with an ignition
button, an accelerator lever to control vertical thrust and a joystick
that provides balance and bearing. A camera beneath the chopper
connected to a small screen on the dash gives the pilot ground vision,
and he communicates via a small transmitter.

Mubarak says he learned the basics of helicopter flying through the
internet after he decided it would be easier to build a chopper than a
car. Flying his creation is easy, he claims. "You start it, allow it to
run for a minute or two and you then shift the accelerator forward and
the propeller on top begins to spin," he explains. "The further you
shift the accelerator the faster it goes and once you reach 300 rpm you
press the joystick and it takes off."

Undeterred that his home-made transporter, which lives in a hangar on
campus, lacks the gear to measure atmospheric pressure, altitude and
humidity, Mubarak is working on a new machine which "will be a radical
improvement on the first one in terms of sophistication and aesthetics."

A two-seater with the ability to fly at 15 feet for three hours at a
time, Mubarak's new creation will be powered by a brand-new motor
straight from Taiwan, normally found in motorbikes.