Why no new diesel radials?

Old September 11th 05, 03:38 AM
On-Condition

Default Why no new diesel radials?

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Old September 11th 05, 04:21 AM
Kyle Boatright

"On-Condition" wrote in message

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Because there are no airframes currently in production that are designed for
radials. With other engine configurations, it is possible that the new
diesel(s) might be fitted to current airframes, either for new production or
for retrofits.

Old September 11th 05, 04:34 AM
L.D.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"On-Condition" wrote in message

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Because there are no airframes currently in production that are designed for
radials. With other engine configurations, it is possible that the new
diesel(s) might be fitted to current airframes, either for new production or
for retrofits.

Thrush, Air Tractor, Weatherly.
Old September 11th 05, 04:40 AM
Flyingmonk

Sokois, Murphy Rebel...

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 11th 05, 05:33 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:38:36 GMT, On-Condition
wrote:

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

If I won the lottery I'd buy a machine shop. My fist project would be
to machine a radial case to accept cylinders off a deutz engine
Old September 11th 05, 07:12 AM
Montblack

("On-Condition" wrote)
Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft%20Pages/Stin-Det.html
Golden Wings Museum
1928 Stinson Detroiter Packard Diesel

John Ousterhaut told me last week that my idea for a diesel rotary engine
needed more time back at the ol' drawing board. Translation: It won't work.

I didn't tell him I was planning on running discarded Chinese buffet
"grease" through it. g

Heat the grease with exhaust tubing - start and shut down with a small Jet-A
tank. See, I've thought this all through.

http://www.greasecar.com/index.cfm
Check out the FAQs

Montblack

Old September 11th 05, 08:02 AM
On-Condition

wrote:

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

If I won the lottery I'd buy a machine shop. My fist project would be
to machine a radial case to accept cylinders off a deutz engine

There are excavators using those, screaming full tilt all day
long with next to no airflow!

BTW, weren't there some diesel radials in the early days of
aviation? I've seen some photos I think. The high torque
of diesel almost begs for that can't-keep-from-turning
radial geometry.

Anybody know if the Lycoming/Detroit will be air-cooled opposed?

Old September 11th 05, 12:37 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sokois, Murphy Rebel...

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

And if you add up all the Sukhois, Murphy Mooses (not rebels), Thrushes,
etc. it isn't a drop in the bucket. There isn't nearly enough volume there
to make a radial diesel worthwhile for someone who wants to make money.

KB

Old September 11th 05, 02:51 PM
Flyingmonk

"Build it and they will come..." ~ field of dreams.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone