Mountain Flying Course?

Old April 29th 04, 10:35 PM
Nicholas Kliewer

Default Mountain Flying Course?

I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

Can anyone recommend a good Mountain Flying Course? Preferably
near Colorado Springs (I have family there).

Any other tips on taking such a long journey?

Thanks,
-Nick

To reply, take out SPAM AWAY from my address.
Old April 29th 04, 11:39 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Nicholas Kliewer wrote in
:

I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

Can anyone recommend a good Mountain Flying Course? Preferably
near Colorado Springs (I have family there).

Any other tips on taking such a long journey?

Thanks,
-Nick

To reply, take out SPAM AWAY from my address.

Colorado Pilots Association offers an excellent mountain flying course.
It includes a one-day long ground school and a flight portion. I would
highly recommend it. Check their website for schedules.
http://www.coloradopilots.org/

Old April 30th 04, 01:09 AM

Colorado Pilots Association puts on a great, full day mountain flying
ground school in June and August. June 19 is a Saturday. This is at
Centennial Airport (APA), south of Denver. Please see the web site
at:

http://coloradopilotsassociation.org
choose 'Mountain Flying'

We try to fly the out-of-state folks the next day. The in-state folks
and the folks serious about high density altitude flying usually want
several days of flying.

For example, I teach mountain flying one-on-one year around, and for
serious Colorado Mountain Flying, I have a North, Middle and South
route laid out, flown over 3 days, with overnights in the mountains.
I also have dirt and taildragger mountain instruction available.

There are some links to writeups about mountain training, and the
Colorado Pilots Association from my web page:

http://users.frii.com/jer/

Best regards,

Jer/ Eberhard

Nicholas Kliewer wrote:
I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

Can anyone recommend a good Mountain Flying Course? Preferably
near Colorado Springs (I have family there).

Any other tips on taking such a long journey?

Thanks,
-Nick

To reply, take out SPAM AWAY from my address.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old April 30th 04, 01:51 AM
Stuart King

try
www.mountainflying.com

SK

Old May 3rd 04, 12:55 AM

Nicholas Kliewer wrote:

I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

A mountain flying school like those recommended here are invaluable.
Having said that, a 172 has its limits, far more so than a 182. But,
you can safely fly a 172 from Dallas to Oregon in the summer provided
you select airports that are not too high and have fairly long runways.

You also want to avoid terrain that requires flying much above 8,500
west bound and 9,500 east bound. With a little planning, that's easy
too. Since you're going to COS, you best stay on the east side of the
Rockies until you can go through the lower, less mountainous parts of
Wyoming.

Also, takeoffs in the early morning at any airport above 3,000 feet,
MSL, is like money in the bank.

Old May 4th 04, 04:34 PM
Nicholas Kliewer

Nicholas Kliewer wrote:

I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

A mountain flying school like those recommended here are invaluable.
Having said that, a 172 has its limits, far more so than a 182. But,
you can safely fly a 172 from Dallas to Oregon in the summer provided
you select airports that are not too high and have fairly long runways.

You also want to avoid terrain that requires flying much above 8,500
west bound and 9,500 east bound. With a little planning, that's easy
too. Since you're going to COS, you best stay on the east side of the
Rockies until you can go through the lower, less mountainous parts of
Wyoming.

Also, takeoffs in the early morning at any airport above 3,000 feet,
MSL, is like money in the bank.

Hi Frank, thanks for the tips. Yes, I am planning on the
Phoenix - Bakersfield route going West and then the
Boise - Rock Springs - Cheyenne route going East.

Would you suggest that I take the mountain flying course
somewhere else? I was wondering about doing it at Salt Lake
City or Logan, UT since that's a little closer to the area
that I'll be concerned about.

My plan is to fly over the 9,000 terrain at 11,500. That
should give me a pretty good margin.

I plan on taking the trip in September (late enough to be
cooler but early enough not to have to worry about winter WX).
Does anyone recommend a different time of year?

I'd be interested in corresponding with you. Can you shoot
me an email?

Does anyone know of any other pilots that have done this type
of trip in a C172?

Thanks!
-Nick
Old May 4th 04, 05:50 PM
John R Weiss

"Nicholas Kliewer" wrote...

I live in Dallas, TX and don't get out of the flat lands much.
This Fall, I am planning a trip to Oregon in a C172 and figure
that I could use some mountain flying training.

Take a look at the WA State DOT Aviation Division at
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Aviation/. They coordinate the Search & Rescue
training courses, and I believe mountain flying is part of it. E-mail them
if a current course is not listed.

You might have to register as a "WA Pilot" to get their services, but the
$15 should be worth it...

Old May 4th 04, 11:35 PM
John R. Copeland

"Nicholas Kliewer" wrote in message =
=20
=20
Does anyone know of any other pilots that have done this type=20
of trip in a C172? =20
=20
Thanks! =20
-Nick

I once took a 172 with one passenger from Las Vegas to John Wayne,
and we picked up enough ice in climb that we were unable to reach 12000.
So ATC let us go WAFDOF at 11000, which was still above MEA.
The mountain waves were very interesting that day!

If your 172 will be loaded heavily, you will see very poor climb rates
at those high altitudes.
Be experienced in leaning for maximum engine power in climb,
or else you may not make it.
---JRC---

Old May 5th 04, 03:10 AM
Blanche Cohen

Rule of thumb for mountain flying is to be *at least* 10% under
the max weight. For my cherokee (that tops out at 2400) that
means absolutely no more than 2160. As a rule, during the summer
I try to keep it under 2100 (thank you, density altitude)