Instrument Checkride on May 17th

Old May 5th 04, 04:30 PM
David B. Cole

Default Instrument Checkride on May 17th

On Saturday my instructor and I flew to Stewart International in
Newburg, NY for a few approaches. The plan was to fly out and do the
VOR -27 partial panel a couple of times, followed by an ILS. After
that we planned to fly to 4N1, Greenwood Lake, before returning to
CDW. Partial panel holding had been my one sticking point. We flew the
entire trip from CDW to the Kingston VOR, about 40 miles, partial
panel. After reaching Kingston I entered the procedure turn and flew
the approach. After reaching the MAP and flying the missed, my
instructor informed the controller that we would be flying to 4N1
instead of shooting any additional approaches.

His comment to me was that I couldn't have done a better job and
although I was exhausted, I was pleased. We flew to Greenwood Lake for
a VOR approach there before heading back to CDW for a LOC approach to
Rwy 22. Once we were back on the ground my instructor informed me that
he wanted me to call the examiner and schedule the checkride, which I
scheduled for May 17. Now I have to prepare for the oral, which I'm
not really worried about since I think I have a good grasp on this
stuff. Hopefully the 100 on the written will help. Now I just have to
make sure I don't make too many mistakes on the practical so that I
don't have to do it twice. Thanks everyone for all the support.

Cecil: I'll be thinking about you as I prepare.

Dave
Old May 5th 04, 11:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

David B. Cole wrote:

Once we were back on the ground my instructor informed me that
he wanted me to call the examiner and schedule the checkride, which I
scheduled for May 17.

Very nice!

Who'll be your examiner?

Soon, we'll have figure out how to trade-off safety pilot. To do that, we
need to be checked out in the same aircraft hint!.

- Andrew

Old May 6th 04, 01:02 AM
Cecil Chapman

Cecil: I'll be thinking about you as I prepare.

Dave

Be looking forward to your post-checkride success story! Thanks for the
thoughts, man!!!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
m...

Old May 6th 04, 02:13 AM
BTIZ

a 100 on the written???

well.. the examiner knows no body is perfect.. so he's going try to find out
what you don't know.. don't worry.. they always find something.. and it
should be no big deal... just don't dig a hole and try to bluff your way out
of something..

study up, take your reference library with you.. and you'll do fine..

BT

Old May 6th 04, 02:29 AM
David B. Cole

Andrew,

I'm taking the checkride with Marcus. Yeah, I guess this means that I
will have to join the PFC. :-)

Dave

Old May 6th 04, 03:06 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/5/04 9:13 PM, in article gjgmc.12049$k24.2313@fed1read01, "BTIZ"
wrote:

a 100 on the written???

well.. the examiner knows no body is perfect.. so he's going try to find out
what you don't know.. don't worry.. they always find something.. and it
should be no big deal... just don't dig a hole and try to bluff your way out
of something..

study up, take your reference library with you.. and you'll do fine..

BT

I don't understand taking a reference library with you to a checkride. I'll
be scheduling my IFR ride this month if I wasn't so busy. But when it does
happen (in June), I'll only be taking the essentials and what's been planted
in my brain up to that time. No FAR/AIM or anything of that sort. It wasn't
needed during my private oral and I don't see the sense in the DE digging to
the point that you have to feel like you need to drag along an encyclopedia.

If you scored 100, there should be no question that you studied and are able
to pass the oral easily. A few questions on each topic should be sufficient
without the DE trying to find something, for God's sake, anything! just to
show you that you don't know it all.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old May 6th 04, 03:11 AM
BTIZ

well... lets see... you must take your oral's differently than we do,
FAR/AIM, POH, Aircraft Logs, Weather charts, and weather reference material.

More than one DE has always asked the stumper question... just to see if you
know how to look something up.

BT

news:BCBF15CA.E112%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com...

Old May 6th 04, 12:31 PM
Barry

I'll only be taking the essentials and what's been planted
in my brain up to that time. No FAR/AIM or anything of that sort. It wasn't
needed during my private oral and I don't see the sense in the DE digging to
the point that you have to feel like you need to drag along an encyclopedia.

Make sure that you review the Practical Test Standards, in particular the
Applicant's Practical Test Checklist. In the Instrument Rating PTS
(http://av-info.faa.gov/data/practica...-s-8081-4d.pdf) this
includes:

ACCEPTABLE AIRCRAFT
View-limiting device
Aircraft Documents: Airworthiness Certificate
Registration Certificate
Rating Limitations
Aircraft Maintenance Records: Airworthiness Inspections

PERSONAL EQUIPMENT
Current Aeronautical Charts
Computer and Plotter
Flight Plan Form
Flight Logs
**** Current AIM ****

PERSONAL RECORDS
Identification - Photo/Signature ID
Pilot Certificate
Medical Certificate
Completed FAA Form 8710-1, Application for an Airman Certificate and/or Rating
Airman Knowledge Test Report
Logbook with Instructor's Endorsement
Notice of Disapproval (if applicable)
Approved School Graduation Certificate (if applicable)
Examiner's Fee (if applicable)

Old May 7th 04, 12:37 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/5/04 10:11 PM, in article z9hmc.12056$k24.7196@fed1read01, "BTIZ"
wrote:

well... lets see... you must take your oral's differently than we do,
FAR/AIM, POH, Aircraft Logs, Weather charts, and weather reference material.

More than one DE has always asked the stumper question... just to see if you
know how to look something up.

BT

Probably a good deal of it is that my flight school has a very good idea of
what the DE wants to see and what info he's likely to ask. 90% of my private
oral seemed to come from the ASA prep book and the rest were questions that
my instructor and I had prepped for.

I fail to see the reasoning behind demonstrating my FAR/AIM research skills,
as it pertains to my ability to fly safely. I see that it is recommended to
bring the book to the ride, but since I've had no need to crack open the
thing in my last 4 years of flying, I don't see the point. I think a DE
should test the real world, not abstract FAA mumbo jumbo.

Old May 7th 04, 02:37 AM
Judah

Assuming that you don't actually have every reg and recommended
procuedure memorized, you may find yourself one day encountering some
sort of question about how to do something that you have long since
forgotten, or never knew in the first place.

The DE may want to make sure that if you encountered some strange
notation on an approach chart, for example, you would be able to navigate
your way through the FAR/AIM instead of posting a public opinion poll on
a newsgroup.

Bring the freakin' book - even if it is your 2000 edition from your
private. As big as it is, it doesn't cost more than a few extra shoulder
muscles to have it with you.

Wizard of Draws wrote in
news:BCC0447A.E18F%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com: