The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service"

Old November 23rd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service"

********************
The Good:
********************
Yesterday we had our 496 "panel docked" with the installation of an
"AirGizmo". (See them he http://www.airgizmos.com/) It's just
about he slickest installation you can imagine, and really cleans up
the cockpit. All the wiring is neatly behind the panel, everything is
professionally wired (no more cigar lighter splitters zip tied under
the panel) -- and it looks great.

I bought the new "angle piece" that cocks the unit a bit toward the
pilot's position, which is wonderful. The view from either position is
clear, and everything is easily within reach. I can't say enough good
things about this unit, and -- best of all -- your shop can do the
install with nothing more than a logbook entry.

********************
The Bad:
********************
At the same time, we had the avionics shop connect the 496's XM radio
output to our PS Engineering CD/Intercom, with the obvious goal of
being able to play the radio through our headsets. This seemingly
simple task has turned out to be quite a difficult thing to accomplish,
strangely enough, and will require another visit to the shop next week.
Here's why:

The pin inputs on the intercom are "Music 2" and "Auxilliary". "Music
2" feeds ONLY the back two seats, which allows my kids to listen to
music different from what Mary and are hearing. "Auxiliary" (the
avionics boys discovered only after completing the installation) only
feeds the PILOT position. Only the pilot can hear anything.

The unit was designed before the proliferation of Ipods and MP3
players, so apparently PS Engineering made no accommodation for an
auxillary music input that feeds all four positions! Additionally, the
auxiliary input does not "auto-squelch" when ATC starts talking, which
required the shop to install a "kill switch" in the panel so that I can
cut the music quickly if needed.

The avionics boys wanted to experiment with a few things, to see how
they could effectively feed all four positions without interfering with
the unit's "Intellivox" auto-squelch -- but we ran out of time. It was
getting late, and we had to be home to meet family coming in for the
holiday, so we had to depart. Just as well, as Tony (the head of the
shop) wants time to diagram and study the circuitry in more detail
before they started running experimental patch cords all over the
place...

Anyone got any theories? How can we feed all four intercom positions
using the PS Engineering PCD7100? See the wiring diagram he
http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PCD7100I_Wire.pdf

********************
The Ugly
********************
Anyone used XM's automated "customer service" phone system? What a
joke!

If you don't know the phone number you gave them when you signed up
(I've got four possibilities, and chose the wrong one), the next thing
the system will ask for is the special "XM" number on your unit. (Which
was in the panel of the plane, which was being worked on at that moment
and inaccessible to me.) There is no way to go BACK to give the
automated "Bitchin' Betty" a different phone number.

Eventually, after yelling at the automated hag for ten minutes, I was
connected to someone in India who had NO idea how to do anything with
an aviation customer. After being put on hold for five minutes I was
at last connected with a very sweet (and competent) girl in Texas who
was able to activate my music option and downgrade my aviation service
from "Premium" to "Regular" for the winter. When I finally got her,
the whole process took maybe 90 seconds.

What a PIA to deal with! My advice to XM -- hire some more customer
service reps, and Deep Six the automated system.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

when removing the 496 from the docking station, i assume you still have
to individually disconnect all the many power, antenna and audio
connections?

dan

Old November 23rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Maybe you can hard wire this thing in there to cancel the music during ATC.
http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/psengmuse.htm

Karl

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
********************
The Good:
********************

Old November 23rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

when removing the 496 from the docking station, i assume you still have
to individually disconnect all the many power, antenna and audio
connections?

Yep. But there's enough "slack" in them to make that a fairly easy
proposition.

Getting it back in the AirGizmo looks like a pain, though, as you have
to kinda "thread" the wiring through appropriate holes in the back of
the panel dock. Luckily, I've now got an extra power cord (the shop
used a new one for the installation, rather than hacking up my old
one), for the inevitable day when that stupid 90-degree power connector
breaks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Yesterday we had our 496 "panel docked" with the installation of an
"AirGizmo". (See them he http://www.airgizmos.com/) [...] I
can't say enough good things about this unit, and -- best of all --
your shop can do the install with nothing more than a logbook entry.
[...]

Just curious, but sort of FAA-style authorization permits such a
modification to a certified airplane without at least a field
approval? As already spotted during an earlier thread here,
even the manufacturer says otherwise:

http://www.airgizmos.com/faq.asp

- FChE
Old November 23rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Just curious, but sort of FAA-style authorization permits such a
modification to a certified airplane without at least a field
approval?

The FSDO in Des Moines.

Installation of an AirGizmo is considered a minor modification. The
GPS is still portable and removeable, all you're doing is running some
wires.

This according to McCandless Aviation in Waterloo, IA.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Yesterday we had our 496 "panel docked" with the installation of an
"AirGizmo". (See them he http://www.airgizmos.com/) [...] I
can't say enough good things about this unit, and -- best of all --
your shop can do the install with nothing more than a logbook entry.
[...]

Just curious, but sort of FAA-style authorization permits such a
modification to a certified airplane without at least a field
approval? As already spotted during an earlier thread here,
even the manufacturer says otherwise:

http://www.airgizmos.com/faq.asp

It is irrelavant what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer either
gets an STC or forfeits any ability to tell you how to install their
product. A casual reading of the regs shows that installing one of
these docks is a minor alteration.
Old November 23rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

Anyone got any theories? How can we feed all four intercom positions
using the PS Engineering PCD7100?

PSE has the most responsive customer service department. Have your
mechanics ask them.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The pin inputs on the intercom are "Music 2" and "Auxilliary". *"Music
2" feeds ONLY the back two seats, which allows my kids to listen to
music different from what Mary and are hearing. "Auxiliary" (the
avionics boys discovered only after completing the installation) only
feeds the PILOT position. *Only the pilot can hear anything.

Actually, I'm not sure exactly what one is calling The Auxillary if it
is anything other than the SWITCHED Auxillary input that is activated
by the AUX front panel pushbutton.

There is a Music #1 which will be heard by the pilot and copilot while
Music #2 will be heard by the passengers.

The unit was designed before the proliferation of Ipods and MP3
players, so apparently PS Engineering made no accommodation for an
auxillary music input that feeds all four positions! *

Your description of the operation is correct, but it wasn't because the
PMA7000CD was designed before many of the portable MP3 players came
out, it was because we learned a lot from our original design of the
PMA6000 where the intercom mode switch controlled who heard Music #1.
Because this function switches music inside the audio panel, it limited
the amount of flexibility of who hears what when.

This is why when we designed the PMA7000 Series we made the music
distribution simple, #1 to Crew, #2 to the passengers. With the
installation of one or two switches, the combinations of who hears what
is significant.

Additionally, the
auxiliary input does not "auto-squelch" when ATC starts talking, which
required the shop to install a "kill switch" in the panel so that I can
cut the music quickly if needed.\

This I don't understand. The Mute button on the front panel of the
PMA7000CD places Music #1 for the crew in the Mute or Karoake Mode. The
passengers can also have this feature, but a SPST switch is required to
allow them to make this change "on the fly"

The avionics boys wanted to experiment with a few things, to see how
they could effectively feed all four positions without interfering with
the unit's "Intellivox" auto-squelch -- but we ran out of time. *It was
getting late, and we had to be home to meet family coming in for the
holiday, so we had to depart. *Just as well, as Tony (the head of the
shop) wants time to diagram and study the circuitry in more detail
before they started running experimental patch cords all over the
place...

Please have your shop call me at PS Engineering and I'll be glad to
help them. There is actually a wiring diagram discribing this exactly
in the installation manual. You can download this manual by going to
www.ps-engineering.com/downloads.shtml

Jay, please let me know how I can help, I'll do what ever I can to make
sure that the Bad turns into AWESOME!

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.