GNS 430W vs GNS 480

Old January 2nd 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

In article .com,
"JD" wrote:

There is a Version 3.0 of the firmware in progress for the 480, Garmin
AT is and will continue development and support for the 480.

Do you know what changes the 3.0 software will have?

The 430/530 ARE NOT FAA certified for PRIMARY ENROUTE navigation. The
480 is.

Is that true even with the WAAS upgrade? I thought the thing that made the
480 primary en-route-capable was the WAAS?
Old January 2nd 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

JD

Why is a new version of the software is required and what changes it will
introduce ?
When did Garmin announced that they will "continue development and support
for the 480" ?
What do all the aircraft fitted with only dual 430/530's use for primary
enroute navigation under instrument rules ?

Roy

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is a Version 3.0 of the firmware in progress for the 480, Garmin
AT is and will continue development and support for the 480.

Also,
The 430/530 ARE NOT FAA certified for PRIMARY ENROUTE navigation. The
480 is.

Go with the 480.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Ron Gordon wrote:
I'm going to add either the GNS 430W or GNS 480 to a Beach Bonanza and am
wondering if any of you who fly with these GPS units have a recommendation?
I'd like a very capable IFR GPS with integrated NAV/COM abilities, which
I'll couple to my S-TEC 50 Autopilot with GPSS. Both the 430W and 480 are
WAAS capable. Either will fit into my panel. (I consider the 530 out of my
price range and I'm not going to tie WX or Traffic into the GNS.)

Do you have any recommendations? Which unit is the most capable? Whichever I
get, I'm going to work diligently to learn, including any quirks.

The 480 is more capable (has holds, etc), but the 430 is *MUCH* easier
to use. If you are a computer geek, go with the 480. If you want easy
of flying, go with the 430. If you think you may want to fly G1000
someday, go with the 430 because the nav side is right from a 430.

-Robert, CFII

Old January 2nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

On Jan 1, 5:10 pm, Sam Spade wrote:
JD wrote:
There is a Version 3.0 of the firmware in progress for the 480, Garmin
AT is and will continue development and support for the 480.

Also,
The 430/530 ARE NOT FAA certified for PRIMARY ENROUTE navigation. The
480 is.

Go with the 480.That will change with an update very soon.

The 480 is a dead product.

All products eventually become "dead", I'd bet that the 430 dies before
the 480. The 480 is a much newer design than the 430/530 and should
have a longer life than the older technologies.

But, only Garmin knows for sure, but they spent a lot of money to
acquire Apollo and the techonology/engineers that the 480 was built on.

It wouldn't make much buisness sense to now kill that product after the
millions(?) they spent to acquire it.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

On Jan 1, 5:17 pm, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

Why is a new version of the software is required and what changes it will
introduce ?

I don't know what v3.0 firmware for the 480 will bring. The current 480
firmware is 2.1, so 3.0 should have some significate enhancements. I
just got this from the support guys when I was upgrading to 2.1

When did Garmin announced that they will "continue development and support
for the 480" ?
What do all the aircraft fitted with only dual 430/530's use for primary
enroute navigation under instrument rules ?

What ever they have been using. Could be VOR for example.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

On Jan 1, 5:16 pm, Roy Smith wrote:
In article .com,

"JD" wrote:
There is a Version 3.0 of the firmware in progress for the 480, Garmin
AT is and will continue development and support for the 480.Do you know what changes the 3.0 software will have?

The 430/530 ARE NOT FAA certified for PRIMARY ENROUTE navigation. The
480 is.Is that true even with the WAAS upgrade? I thought the thing that made the

480 primary en-route-capable was the WAAS?

The 480 has always been certified for Primary Enroute Navigate, it's
the 530/430 that is not, even with the WAAS upgrades for the 530/430.
But as Sam points out, they will be with a new release of the 530/430
firmware.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

480 is more capable (has holds, etc), but the 430 is *MUCH* easier
to use. If you are a computer geek, go with the 480. If you want easy
of flying, go with the 430. If you think you may want to fly G1000
someday, go with the 430 because the nav side is right from a 430.

-Robert, CFII

I tend to disagree with Robert, I think the 480 has a more intutive
user interface.

"Ad-hoc" holds: You can define a hold point at any user waypoint or
database point. Specify the leg lenght in mins or miles/Kilomiles
(grin), direction of turns, etc.. The 480/GPSS will drive the hold for
you.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

On Jan 1, 5:39 pm, "JD" wrote:
480 is more capable (has holds, etc), but the 430 is *MUCH* easier
to use. If you are a computer geek, go with the 480. If you want easy
of flying, go with the 430. If you think you may want to fly G1000
someday, go with the 430 because the nav side is right from a 430.

-Robert, CFIII tend to disagree with Robert, I think the 480 has a more intutive

user interface.

"Ad-hoc" holds: You can define a hold point at any user waypoint or
database point. Specify the leg lenght in mins or miles/Kilomiles
(grin), direction of turns, etc.. The 480/GPSS will drive the hold for
you.

And, also, it'll tell you what kind of entry to use, teardrop, direct,
etc..

Old January 2nd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 1, 5:17 pm, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

Why is a new version of the software is required and what changes it will
introduce ?

I don't know what v3.0 firmware for the 480 will bring. The current 480
firmware is 2.1, so 3.0 should have some significate enhancements. I
just got this from the support guys when I was upgrading to 2.1

When did Garmin announced that they will "continue development and
support
for the 480" ?
What do all the aircraft fitted with only dual 430/530's use for primary
enroute navigation under instrument rules ?

What ever they have been using. Could be VOR for example.

I do believe that the updated software for the 480 is required to cure
existing problems found with the 480 during /W certification for the
430/530 units ?

The VOR portion is an integral part of the 430/530 so I would dispute that
the 430/530's are certified for enroute in a normal certified IFR
installation.

Am I wrong again ?

Roy

Old January 2nd 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

Have I missed any features? (Note, that I am considering the GNS 480 to be a
full Gamma 3, TSO C146 certified box, because Garmin will resolve the
current SAIB issue by the time I install the unit. So we don't need to go
through that discussion as part of this message thread.)

I'm not sure about the 430, but the 480 has 8 serial ports. One I'm
using for the remote transponder, another I'll use with a fuel flow
computer to be installed, such as the TrueFlow 500 from Insight. All
the Fuel Flow data can be displayed through the 480. Such as Gals/hour,
fuel to next waypoint, fuel remaining at destination, etc. without
having to use up any additional panel space.

The other serial ports can be used to connect up various barametric
hardware. Can't speak to 530/430, but the 480 has a lot of room to
expand.