I have an opinion on global warming!

Old April 7th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default I have an opinion on global warming!

On Apr 6, 3:24 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
appropriate forums.

I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
*ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.

We're told that the unusally cold temps lately are a result of global
warming (ice caps melting). I'm still waiting to find out how we also
caused global warming on Mars. Pretty cool how the weather man on TV
can't guess the temp tomorrow but the global warming people can
predict temps in 20 years. Maybe we need to get those guys to come up
with our forecasts.

-Robert

Old April 7th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Apr 6, 1:46 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
appropriate forums.

Jim "naive and hopeless optimist" Logajan

Went out and did 1.4 hours of warming Monday night myself.
--
Gene Seibel
Daughter Becca's Jewelry - http://pad39a.com/stelle_sheen

Old April 7th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Apr 6, 6:18 pm, wrote:

Thing is, the proposal is that the average temperature
is increasing. One effect of that is expected to be
increases in the energy of weather systems.
No one is suggesting that it is going to be hotter
everywhere all of the time.

That's what it is - a proposal. I figured that global warming was
natural, but after a discussion on another group I did some research
and now doubt it's even occurring at all. Satellite and balloon
readings show no warming. Only surface measurements, and they are very
susceptible to errors. For instance cities growing and encroaching on
once rural measuring stations. A tenth of a degree increase and alarm
bells go off.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old April 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 6, 6:18 pm, wrote:

Thing is, the proposal is that the average temperature
is increasing. One effect of that is expected to be
increases in the energy of weather systems.
No one is suggesting that it is going to be hotter
everywhere all of the time.

That's what it is - a proposal. I figured that global warming was
natural, but after a discussion on another group I did some research
and now doubt it's even occurring at all. Satellite and balloon
readings show no warming. Only surface measurements, and they are very
susceptible to errors. For instance cities growing and encroaching on
once rural measuring stations. A tenth of a degree increase and alarm
bells go off.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
Because I fly, I envy no one.

In addition I recently heard that some surface reporting stations in Siberia
ceased operation--so that data was simply omitted from the calculations.

Since any resulting error would be in the "correct" direction, according to
the current Gore sycophants, there is no reason to correct for the missing
data, nor to work to put the reporting stations back on line.

Peter

Old April 7th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Obviously, for the heat to traverse the interplanetary space, we are burning
*way* too much fuel!

OTOH, there seems to be some doubt whether the Earth's northern polar region
is currently as warm as it was in Viking times.

Regrettably, I don't have the free time at the moment to search for the
references.

Peter

Old April 7th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

These predictions are coming from the application
of the same tools and techniques that have made
reliable weather forecasts an everyday proposition.

I don't see a "smiley" here -- so I can only conclude that your're
serious?

"Reliable weather forecasts"?? Where have you EVER seen one of
those? I have been a student of meterology since taking several
courses in college, some 25 years ago, and am here to tell you that
there are NO accurate forecast models that function beyond 12 hours
out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 7th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We're told that the unusally cold temps lately are a result of global
warming (ice caps melting).

This morning on NPR my son and I both noticed a subtle-but-important
shift in the nomenclature the "Global Warming" advocates are now
using. The argument is now being framed in terms of "Global Climate
Change", rather than "Global Warming" -- at least on NPR.

I guess the advocates of this pseudo-science got tired of being
ridiculed by folks who have been shivering through some of the coldest
weather on record. Now they can just sit back and say "What, it's
record-setting COLD? Hey, that's 'Global Climate Change' at work."

It's amazing how gullible some of the supposedly smartest people in
the world can be. Of course, this is happening in a society that
spends $7 BILLION dollars annually on...bottled *water*.

Marketing rules.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 7th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Jay Honeck wrote:
I have been a student of meterology since taking several
courses in college, some 25 years ago

Let's see, several college courses 25 years ago. Nothing, of course, has
changed since then in terms of new scientific methods of studying
weather, no new accumulation of knowledge by those whose full-time
profession it is to study it. You shiver in an upper mid-west microcosm,
so the scientists are wrong. Well, I know I'm in the minority here, but
IMHO no one in this group so far has the credentials to mount a
counter argument to the global warming theorists. How it affects GA is
the least of my worries for my progeny.
Old April 7th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
*ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to sick AlGore...AlBore...um, you know, the guy
who almost became president, on you. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

lowrance 500 opinion d&tm Piloting 2 March 17th 07 06:57 AM
Aviation Conspiracy: CBS Spotlights Aviation's Effect On Global Warming!!! Free Speaker General Aviation 1 August 3rd 06 07:24 PM
Your opinion about helmets? Dave Russell Aerobatics 8 March 13th 04 02:32 PM
Opinion on club share Paul Folbrecht Owning 10 January 8th 04 05:17 AM
Opinion on this please Frederick Wilson Home Built 11 December 24th 03 06:01 PM