Leak proof tubes

Old December 6th 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Leak proof tubes

A while back...Last Summer there was a theread about the new leak
proof innertubes for aircraft tires. (I've forgottten the name), but
at any rate I wanted to add that I've had them on the mains since last
spring and still haven't had to pump them up except once about a month
after the instalation of the new tires. It's a long way from every
two weeks.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 6th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Same here. I have lpt on the mains and an old tube on the nose. I
have to air the nose tire every couple of weeks but the mains can
sometimes go for 6 weeks.

Old December 6th 05, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2005-12-06, Paul kgyy wrote:
Same here. I have lpt on the mains and an old tube on the nose. I
have to air the nose tire every couple of weeks but the mains can
sometimes go for 6 weeks.

I'll mention again how surprised I was as an owner the first time I put
an air gauge on my tires. "Slightly low" looking aircraft tires might
have half the recommended pressure in them. The first time I reinflated
my tires I realized that every rental I'd ever flow had "flat" tires.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 7th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'll mention again how surprised I was as an owner the first time I put
an air gauge on my tires. "Slightly low" looking aircraft tires might
have half the recommended pressure in them. The first time I reinflated
my tires I realized that every rental I'd ever flow had "flat" tires.

I get to see a lot of airplanes, and most of the people I'm picking up at
the airport are getting out of aircraft that have flat tires.

We air ours up every few weeks, but they are always down at least 25%.
It's a royal PIA when the high temperature is predicted to be 0 F.

Face it: aircraft tires are expensive pieces of sh*t.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 7th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'll mention again how surprised I was as an owner the first time I put
an air gauge on my tires. "Slightly low" looking aircraft tires might
have half the recommended pressure in them. The first time I reinflated
my tires I realized that every rental I'd ever flow had "flat" tires.

I get to see a lot of airplanes, and most of the people I'm picking up at
the airport are getting out of aircraft that have flat tires.

We air ours up every few weeks, but they are always down at least 25%.
It's a royal PIA when the high temperature is predicted to be 0 F.

Face it: aircraft tires are expensive pieces of sh*t.

They may well be, but if you want inner tubes that don't leak, try the
Michelin stuff. They're amazingly good.

-jav
Old December 7th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
Michelin stuff. They're amazingly good.

-jav

http://www.desser.com/DM1172.pdf lots of tire info.

I agree with Jav. We put new AirStop tubes in our Michelin Air tires when
we bought them over 1 1/2 years ago. Original owner had 6 ply tires on the
Aztec instead of 8 ply. We've had absolutely no problems so far. We check
the pressure regularly and usually only need to add a lb or two every 6-8
weeks. I find that the most common cause of those leaks is the guy that
checked the pressure before me didn't use a wrench to tighten the stem cap.
When I snug the cap up with a wrench they are still properly inflated 8
weeks or longer. If you look inside the caps, there's a rubber seal that is
supposed to seal against the rim of the valve stem, just a little pressure
with a wrench while holding the stem with pliers and a rag will seat the
seal against the stem. Just don't over do it.

I was once told by an old timer that the reason aircraft tires and tubes
leak is because they have a higher neoprene content because neoprene resists
fuel and oil better than the high rubber content tires, but neoprene doesn't
hold air as well. Anybody know the details surrounding this or if it's
true?

Thanks,
Jim

Old December 7th 05, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I posted this information in a previous thread in this group.
Here it is again for those who would like a better understanding.

Repeat of a posting made to this group

Aircraft inner tubes were traditionally manufactured from a natural rubber
compound.
A tire inner tube is made by taking a length of extruded "rubber" tube which
is then joined into its circular form by joining it's ends together. This
joining process is generally referred to as splicing.
Natural rubber readily bonds to itself and therefore produced the strongest
"splice".
However natural rubber is somewhat porous and results in a slow loss of air.
In the 1970's a new oil based polymer know as butyl was introduced to the
tire industry.
Butyl is non-porous and solved the problem of air loss but was very
difficult to splice into inner tubes so was only adopted for road vehicle
tubes for many years. Aircraft tubes continued to be made from natural
rubber until relatively recently.
Goodyear were an early user of butyl for inner tubes using the trade name
"Air Seal"
Therefore you have a choice, natural rubber tubes may be less prone to
failure but continually lose air or butyl tubes which may fail earlier but
you will not need airing up very often.
Me ........ I use butyl ....... Why ............ Because I designed the
machines which are now used to splice butyl inner tubes :-)
End of previous post

--
Roy
N5804F Piper Archer

"I have had some bad landings but I have never missed the runway"

Old December 8th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Javier Henderson wrote:
They may well be, but if you want inner tubes that don't leak, try the
Michelin stuff. They're amazingly good.

Or buy the Aero-Classic "Leak-Guard". It's the same tube without the
Michelin name and a higher price stamped on it. Works like a charm.
Haven't had to fill the tires in months.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

Old December 8th 05, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:09:41 -0500, Javier Henderson
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'll mention again how surprised I was as an owner the first time I put
an air gauge on my tires. "Slightly low" looking aircraft tires might
have half the recommended pressure in them. The first time I reinflated
my tires I realized that every rental I'd ever flow had "flat" tires.

I get to see a lot of airplanes, and most of the people I'm picking up at
the airport are getting out of aircraft that have flat tires.

We air ours up every few weeks, but they are always down at least 25%.
It's a royal PIA when the high temperature is predicted to be 0 F.

Face it: aircraft tires are expensive pieces of sh*t.

They may well be, but if you want inner tubes that don't leak, try the
Michelin stuff. They're amazingly good.

As I said, mine have been going several months now without having to
add air. "I do check the pressure every couple of weeks". Before I
had to add air at least that often.

I figure the $28 per tube is worth it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

-jav

water ballast leak Robert Harvey Soaring 0 May 26th 05 10:33 PM
Oil Leak on top of the engine -- follow up Jay Honeck Owning 6 February 13th 05 02:50 PM
Oil leak on top of the engine Jay Honeck Owning 31 February 12th 05 03:27 AM
oil leak question Dick Home Built 18 November 19th 04 04:14 PM
~ DICK GRILLED FOR CIA LEAK - CAN YOU SAY PRISON?! ~ ~ THE CHOKING CHIMP ~ Military Aviation 0 June 6th 04 05:34 AM