"Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Old November 20th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Jay Honeck wrote:
If I hear this ONE more time on Unicom, I'm going to scream!

Is it *really* possible that one can be a certificated pilot, and *NOT*
know that it's impossible to receive AND transmit at the same time?

Is it *really* possible that a certicated pilot would transmit a
statement like this into the ether, expecting the guy with the stuck
mike to actually be able to HEAR what he's saying?

Sadly, the answer is "yes". We hear it almost every time there's a
stuck-mike situation.

Truly scary...

I'll take a hundred guys saying "Any other traffic, please advise..."
over THIS kind of stupidity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Actually, a lot of radios have a time out feature where if the mike is
keyed for more than a certain length of time, it disables the
transmitter and reverts to receive mode. I think when people are doing
this, they are just hoping that they'll catch it when it times out.
Now, how the offender is going to know it is his mike that is stuck is
another problem.

And I always reply when I hear someone ask if there is other traffic in
the area. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be flying.
Old November 20th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jacob wrote:

How would they even track it?

With a directional antenna, it wouldn't be hard to track it. I'm not
sure what good it would do, unless the plane is on the ground and you
can have someone walk up and knock on the window.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 20th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

But yes, even in Class B airspace a stuck mic can be a big problem. I don't
know what you mean by "track it"; ATC would probably notice that they were
constantly receiving, and so would understand there's a stuck mic out there
somewhere. As for identifying the aircraft with the stuck mic, that might
be harder.

I was departing Teterboro (New Jersey, USA - an extremely busy general
aviation airport serving New York City) one busy afternoon when there
happened to be a stuck mike on the tower frequency.

Fortunately this fact was announced on the ground control frequency so all
departing traffic were able to receive the takeoff clearance on that
frequency.

--
Peter

Old November 20th 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've actually wondered about stuck mics. With the thousands of ancient GA
aircrafts flying in this country, I would think a mecahnical failure on
the PTT switch would not be very unlikely. If somebody's mic gets stuck on
a class B frequency (either the pilots fault or the mic breaking),
would'nt that be a big problem? How would they even track it?

Usually, if you're close enough, you will start to hear conversation from
inside the plane -- often quite hilarious.

I remember one stuck-mike over Grinnell, IA. The guy was flying with two
other aircraft, and didn't know his mike was hot. He proceeded to
absolutely shred his "buddies" landing technique to his co-pilot, from high
above in the pattern, live on 122.8.

I'm sure he and his "buddies" weren't so close, after that.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Jose" wrote in message

Is it *really* possible that a certicated pilot would transmit a
statement like this into the ether, expecting the guy with the stuck
mike to actually be able to HEAR what he's saying?

There are actually a few situations in which the aircraft with a stuck
mike might hear the transmissions. Granted they are not common, but
they are neither impossible nor contrived.

And on a Unicom frequency those would be what?

Any frequency, if a pilot has two radios and both are tuned to the same freqency.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.

Old November 20th 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jacob wrote:

If somebody's mic gets stuck on a
class B frequency (either the pilots fault or the mic breaking), would'nt
that be a big problem? How would they even track it?

Class-B airports have several frequencies. For example, Boston has two approach
frequencies (four if you count the high frequency stuff that standard COMs don't
use). New York has nine. You're supposed to use one frequency if you're
approaching from one arc and another if in a different area, but a pilot who
finds one frequency blocked is likely to try another. In addition, most traffic
entering a class-B is likely to be on an IFR flight plan and already talking to
ATC. Any of these aircraft can be instructed to use an alternate approach
frequency instead of the blocked one. The controller would also cut a new ATIS
tape and provide the alternate approach frequency on that tape.

Aircraft landing at the class-B are told to contact the tower on a frequency
assigned by approach. If the tower frequency becomes blocked, approach can
simply assign a different frequency and the tower controller can then swicth over.

Of course, the guy with the stuck mic is likely to have some problems. He's
probably just lost communications in the middle of a class-B. It's also going to
be pretty obvious to the controller which plane has the problem when they call
him and nothing happens.

Old November 20th 05, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If he was listening and receiving on 2 different radios on the same channel.
I guess he, she would be talking to ones self.
"Jose" wrote in message
Is it *really* possible that a certicated pilot would transmit a
statement like this into the ether, expecting the guy with the stuck
mike to actually be able to HEAR what he's saying?

There are actually a few situations in which the aircraft with a stuck
mike might hear the transmissions. Granted they are not common, but they
are neither impossible nor contrived.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.

Old November 20th 05, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually, a lot of radios have a time out feature

I think I read somewhere the Garmin 430/530 has this feature.

Old November 20th 05, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Sadly, the answer is "yes". We hear it almost every time there's a
stuck-mike situation.

What I wonder is why the guy with the stuck mike doesn't realize it.
When you are no longer hearing radio traffic something is wrong. G

I once heard an approach controller talking to a guy with a weak
transmitter. The controller told them "you're very weak, turn the
volume up some". hmmmmm

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

RIP Mike Valentine Mal Soaring 0 December 11th 04 08:27 PM
Changes in Instrument Proficiency Check Requirements Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 71 June 10th 04 08:02 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Radio silence, Market Garden and death at Arnhem ArtKramr Military Aviation 4 February 12th 04 12:05 AM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 09:25 PM