"The Kiwi" is born...

Old November 1st 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default "The Kiwi" is born...

In article om,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

All kidding aside, I think we'll create a "Oshkosh Landing Scenario"
and let guys practice the Oshkosh Arrival Procedure. I'll bet it
wouldn't be too hard to create a scenario that starts folks just
outside of Ripon.

Complete with replays of deviations.
Does the program included extra traffic?
Old November 1st 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Complete with replays of deviations.
Does the program included extra traffic?

I don't know. FS 2004 has traffic, all right, but I don't know if I
can program it. I'll have to play with that a bit.

Also, can Oshkosh traffic be depicted on anything short of a Cray
Supercomputer?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

I don't know. FS 2004 has traffic, all right, but I don't know if I
can program it. I'll have to play with that a bit.

You can control the amount of traffic, and the presence or absence of
airline vs. GA traffic, but that's all. The actual character of the
aircraft movements is hardwired into the program.

You would conceivably use multiplayer mode and a virtual flight
network to provide actual interaction with other pilots and ATC, but I
think all the virtual flight networks require that each pilot have his
own identification (you couldn't use the same ID for anyone who wants
to fly the sim). Also, the virtual flight networks don't have as much
traffic as FS 2004 can generate internally (but the virtual network
traffic is more realistic and unpredictable).

Old November 1st 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know. FS 2004 has traffic, all right, but I don't know if I
can program it. I'll have to play with that a bit.

Just make the weather as crappy as it was the first time I flew into OSH and
you won't need to depict the other traffic since you can't see it anyway...
You *hear* a lot on the radio, but other than right below you, you don't
*see* much of anything...

Old November 1st 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

Now you just need to mount the device on some sort of large turntable or
merry-go-round and have it spin for flight training while experiencing
vertigo...

If the simulator can't make you puke, it's not a true simulation... grin

Old November 1st 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Grumman-581" writes:

If the simulator can't make you puke, it's not a true simulation... grin

The simulator has given me motion sickness in slew mode.

Old November 1st 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

Now that you have a kiwi and a giant grape, are you abandoning the
aviation theme in favor of a more fruity theme? G

"2007 Bananafest @ The Alexis Park Inn"?

I really don't know about that one... G
Old November 1st 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Now that you have a kiwi and a giant grape, are you abandoning the
aviation theme in favor of a more fruity theme? G

Hey -- our fuel truck is "The Mighty Grape".

And the sim is named for the BIRD kiwi, not the fruit. (Although they
*are* both flightless, unless tossed...)

Geez...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 2nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

Looks pretty cool, Jay. You are going to have some fun with it, I'm sure.
I'd been using a similar setup for some time a while ago, and I think it does
have some degree of realism to it. From what I've seen, no sim maker comes even
close to msfs when it comes to visuals and terrain rendering. I wish it could
be incorporated into sims that do well on their flight models. But this doesn't
seem to be happenning any time soon. Among pc sims, elite does pretty well
simulating the aircraft and flight dynamics, but they don't really have any
visual presentation. It is an IFR sim, though. Even such monsters as
frasca suck when it comes to simulating "the window".
What I kept thinking about is making a cross: msfs has an open interface, so the
idea was to -- somehow -- pick the position and orientation information out of
elite engine, and then use that interface to drive msfs visual display. In the
end, you'll be flying elite's flight model -- quite accurate and all -- but
you'll have msfs-generated outside picture on your projected screen. I haven't
had time to actually start looking into it, but it seems doable.
Anyway, happy flying in this thing: it's fun, at least for the first couple
of weeks.

Andrey

Jay Honeck wrote:
Yes, our new flight simulator cockpit at the hotel -- quickly dubbed
"The Kiwi" by its creator -- has arrived!

See it he

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm

Keith, our A&P (and designer of The Kiwi) is simply remarkable.
Without plans he is able to think and "see" 3-dimensionally, and was
thus able to cut and weld an ergonomically-correct "cockpit" that
incorporated our CH-brand rudder pedals and yoke, along with an
electrically adjustable seat, height-adjustable yoke mount, and wheels
(so that the whole contraption can be moved about easily. Being made
from steel, it is HEAVY) in just a matter of hours!

Most amazing of all -- he refused to take any money for creating it,
saying that he just "threw it together" from "old parts laying around
the hangar"... THAT is true friendship.

We're not doing Movie Night tonight, due to Halloween, so I can't WAIT
until the formal "unveiling" of our flightless bird at next Tuesday's
showing!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Verry Cool Jay,

Now all you need is one of them radio stacks to add to it! Search them on
fleabay
http://www.flyelite.com/product_images/132.jpg

ups.com...