Soaring operations in Villach, Austria, at this time of year?

Old February 3rd 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring operations in Villach, Austria, at this time of year?

Hello,

I am planning to be in Villach, Austria, in an upcoming weekend in
early Feb, and wondering if someone could recommend a soaring location
and operation at this time of year in the Carinthia area?

So far I found the following online via a friend, but no seasonal
information. (I can always check with each site individually, but
thought I'd poll for recommendations on locations and operations.
Thanks in advance.)

http://www.aeroclub.at/verein_gesamtauswahl.php

Carinthian Tourist Infos (Kärnten)
http://www.kaernten.at/english
http://www.kaernten.at/?siid=3&page=...&lid=EN&jid=WI

Soaring Clubs
http://www.aeroclub.at/seg_schulen.php
http://www.aeroclub.at/verein_gesamtauswahl.php

Soaring Feldkirchen (25km from Villach)
http://www.flugsportverein.at/Startseite.htm
http://www.flugsportverein.at/Startseite.htm

Soaring Nötsch (25km from Villach)
http://members.aon.at/flugsport.noetsch1/
http://members.aon.at/flugsport.noet...0flugzeuge.htm

Best regards.

Old February 3rd 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The thermal season starts around April. There may or may not be soarable
days (thermal or wave) earlier in the year, but don't count on it.

Stefan
Old February 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

More then likely there will be snow on the ground at that time of year.
Skiing might be just a bit better idea. Soaring in central and eastern
Austria begins usualy in mid April, I don't know when it begins in
Tirol or Kartnen. I used to fly in Eisenstadt, about 60 km east of
Vienna and Wiener Neustadt, about 60 km south of Vienna some 20 years
ago. But anyway, good luck on your search.

Jacek Kobiesa
Washington State

Old February 3rd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is definitely no soaring season in Carinthia this time of the
year. The grass runways cannot get cleared of snow and therefore the
airfield is not in operation. Plan to go soaring in April to August.

See the Noetsch webcam at http://www.plasounig.at/segelflug/live.htm

Christoph