BRAC

Old August 28th 05, 12:45 PM
Jim

Default BRAC

Attended a nice airshow at the Barnes ANGB, Westfield Mass yesterday.
Had the chance to speak with a Lt Col alongside his Otis based F-15A.

I was aware BRAC voted to close the Otis ANGB but hadn't spotted a thing
about who would be picking up that tasking. To my surprise he replied
they were keeping the tasking but moving to Barnes.

He was openly questioning whether the BRAC panel had the full picture.
Instead of launching for intercepts with unrestricted climbs and sonic
speeds they would now have to weave their way through a maze of airways
traffic. One can only guess the impact that will have on the time to
intercept.
Old August 28th 05, 06:54 PM
John Carrier

"Jim" wrote in message
Attended a nice airshow at the Barnes ANGB, Westfield Mass yesterday. Had
the chance to speak with a Lt Col alongside his Otis based F-15A.

I was aware BRAC voted to close the Otis ANGB but hadn't spotted a thing
about who would be picking up that tasking. To my surprise he replied
they were keeping the tasking but moving to Barnes.

He was openly questioning whether the BRAC panel had the full picture.
Instead of launching for intercepts with unrestricted climbs and sonic
speeds they would now have to weave their way through a maze of airways
traffic. One can only guess the impact that will have on the time to
intercept.

Interesting, yes. Barnes had a lower military value than Otis. The
commission generally favored higher military value, but they seemed a bit
queer for the Northeast. Moved tankers to Bangor and Pease (both low mil
value), kept New London and Portsmouth open even though their staff told 'em
the DoD argument to close didn't deviate from the BRAC guidance.

I've done BRAC since 91 as a volunteer consultant. Helped with community
presentations, briefed congressional, military, brac staff. Watched the
game play out. This commission was the most independent, least consistent,
most illogical of the four. Perhaps this commission was too smart for its
(our?) own good.

R / John

Old August 29th 05, 06:41 AM
Joe Delphi

"John Carrier" wrote in message
I've done BRAC since 91 as a volunteer consultant. Helped with community
presentations, briefed congressional, military, brac staff. Watched the
game play out. This commission was the most independent, least

consistent,
most illogical of the four. Perhaps this commission was too smart for its
(our?) own good.

I see where the BRAC voted to move 2,250 RDT&E jobs from NAWC Point Mugu to
China Lake. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I don't think many of the
2,250 people will sell their nice homes in Ventura county to move the middle
of the desert - so it will be another brain drain for the Navy. Hopefully,
by the time they convince 2,250 new hires to move the middle of the desert
and train them, they will feel like they got their money's worth out of that
decision.

JD

Old August 29th 05, 02:12 PM
John Carrier

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
[...]

A good point. Had several friends that did China Lake tours and they LOVED
the experience, but giving up the left coast lifestyle (particularly if
you're not being beaten about the head and shoulders by a mortgage payment
you don't really want to afford) for Ridgecrest would be a shock.

R / John

Old September 6th 05, 01:38 AM
Merlin Dorfman

John Carrier wrote:

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
[...]

Basically the sort has been made. There are many people who
love the desert, and they are at China Lake. There are many who
don't, and they are elsewhere. It's doubtful if there are many at
Point Mugu who feel they have made the wrong choice, so I expect
many will not take the transfer.

Old September 11th 05, 03:51 PM
theref

"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message
John Carrier wrote:

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
[...]

It is hard to argue with that statement. I spent 1969 at Pt. Mugu-now NAS
Ventura County @Pt. Mugu. I was at Naval Missile Center doing work on F-8s,
F4s-A and B, and also got to watch F111 trials and the occasional U-2.
EC-121s doing flights over the then recent Santa Barbara oil spills and
tests of what became the Harrier. The base had killer whales and porpoises
out by the beach which was almost untouched by any development. A great
place for lunch!

And best of all, it did not put out to sea! I would not want to make that
move to the desert. One week or so at 29 Palms cured me of that.

BRAC Logic....NAS Brunswick Andrew C. Toppan Naval Aviation 45 May 21st 05 04:31 AM
BRAC 2005 Yeff Naval Aviation 15 May 17th 05 06:11 AM
BRAC 2005 List Joe Delphi Naval Aviation 4 February 23rd 05 06:11 PM
A BRAC list, NOT! John Carrier Naval Aviation 1 December 18th 04 10:45 PM
new BRAC list Tex Houston Naval Aviation 3 December 18th 04 01:05 PM