Airports and places to live in Raleigh

Old February 27th 04, 12:12 AM
Sean Trost

Jay,
Depends on where the Gent is planning on working. its about an hour
away from Down town Raleigh. But it is a nice airport.
Sean

Jay Beckman wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

From the woefully uninformed department:

Would Moore County Airport be considered too far away from the RTP area?

I was just down that way (staying in Southern Pines) and Moore County looked
like a nice sized airport for GA.

There was even a sign on the fence relating to a CAF wing there and a N/A T6
on the ramp.

The people who actually live down there would know better...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot
1.9 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old March 3rd 04, 12:07 AM
TTA Cherokee Driver

ajohnson wrote:

dave wrote in message news:sNT_b.118474$uV3.615639@attbi_s51...

There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

For Airpark living the only one available that I'm aware of
is Lake Ridge, which a link has already been posted too. That's
where I fly out of. Grass strip, great family atmosphere with
lots of tail draggers and fly ins on weekends, but no instrument
approaches.

How aviation-friendly can it be when its web page says:

1). Pattern Altitude is 1000 AGL (1309 foot MSL) and Left Hand Traffic
patternt. Please do not fly the down wind leg over the development.
10).Flight over the Lake Ridge housing development is PROHIBITED

Two that others have not mentioned, which are real airpark developments
where the airport is an integral part of the development:

1. Cox airfield (NC81) in Apex is a grass strip with houses on it. It
was recently featured on the front page of the Raleigh News and
Observer's real estate section. There's an EAA chapter based there too.
It's probably most convenient to the triangle 'burbs but is under the
RDU class C shelf.

2. There's also a private residential strip called Eagle's Rest (9NC8)
that is just southwest of Pittsboro.

As you can see from my moniker I fly out of TTA, which is a nearly-new
airport (commissioned in 2000) with an excellent FBO and a very large
and active flying club on the field. 6500x100, ILS, etc.

North Carolina in general has a great network of GA airports and is a
good place to fly with relatively benign winds and terrain -- just watch
for all the MOAs and miltary restricted areas.