Merry Christmas to RAH Crowd

Old December 24th 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Merry Christmas to RAH Crowd

In article , Morgans says...

"Ed Sullivan" wrote

He replied " I guess that shows when you're out of
slats, you're out of pier."

great big chuckle

I think you have to remember the commercial, to get that one. I'll bet
there are many here that have no idea what that is a play on! g

I remember only too well ...sigh means I'm gettin' old :-)

"When your out of Blatz your out of beer"

Wesolych swiat and to everyone else Merry Christmas

See ya

Chuck (old enough to remember Rinso) S

Old December 24th 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Morgans" wrote)
I recall it being Blatz, then Blatz being bought out by Schlitz, so they
used the jingle for a while. I used to own many shares of stock in both
of
those companies. I bought about 12 shares, almost every night! g

Shudder!!!

Where to start? You're not right. g

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles1.html
Jingles

Schlitz was bought out by Stroh's in 1982 - tail wagging the dog.

I worked at Hamm's, in St. Paul, during this mess (below link). We at Hamm's
in St Paul were bought by (I think in this order) Heileman who quickly
traded us to Pabst, who then swapped breweries with Stroh's (1983) - so we
ended up with them, Stroh's - brewing Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, Schlitz Malt
Liquor, (The original) Red Bull Malt Liquor, Goebel, Schaefer, Stroh's, Lone
Star, Erlanger, some others I've forgotten ...like White Mountain (think
Smirnoff or Zima) ...But not Hamm's anymore.

In around 1996 Heileman bought Stroh's - a shell of its former self. For the
first time Schlitz and Blatz were together. Lord knows who owns who now!

http://www.chiptin.com/schlitz/history6.htm
(From the link)
"Even after closing the Milwaukee plant the problems continued. In October
1981, Heileman and Schlitz worked out a deal that would allow Heileman to
purchase the company. During negotiations, Pabst topped the Heileman bid
after Schlitz's board had already ratified the Heileman offer. A takeover
battle then ensued with both Pabst and Heileman eager to acquire Schlitz to
improve their national positions. Schlitz continued to support the Heileman
offer, but an official report from the Justice Department declared that the
merger would be challenged in federal courts, thus the merger was called
off. 3-111

In March 1982, the Stroh Brewing Company of Detroit made its own offer to
purchase Schlitz, no one took the offer seriously thinking it would suffer
the same ending. Yet when Schlitz accepted Stroh's five hundred million
dollar offer, the Justice Department surprisingly approved the deal,
provided that Stroh's sell either the Schlitz Winston-Salem or Memphis plant
to a brewer other than the big two.

On June 10, 1982, the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. was acquired by Stroh Brewing
Co. of Detroit, and a famous firm and Slogan passed into history."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/08/21/bring_back_the_gusto/
More Schlitz stuff

Montblack

Old December 24th 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ChuckSlusarczyk"
I remember only too well ...sigh means I'm gettin' old :-)

"When your out of Blatz your out of beer"

Wesolych swiat and to everyone else Merry Christmas

Sorry, Schlitz.

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles1.html
"There's just one Schlitz, yeah, yeah, nothing else comes near. When you're
out of Schlitz, you're out of beer.

If you like it light with a good taste too, There's only one brew that will
do. When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer. Real gusto in a great,
light beer--Schlitz!"

Mont-greatwhitenorth-black
'I've got flagging neck labels' ...BTDT (hehehe)
The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie:
Strange Brew (1983)

Old December 24th 05, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote

Where to start? You're not right. g

Interesting history. Surprisingly, I'm not surprised that I wasn't right!

After all, I WAS drinking a 12 pack most nights, and still reliably holding
down a job. I would have to say at that point, I was pretty close to going
over the edge, but I held it together.

They key factor for buying beer at the time, was (not surprisingly) cost.
When Stilts, or whoever went over $2.65, it was time to change brands.
(again)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 24th 05, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:25:00 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

"Richard Riley" wrote

Lessee. 12 x 12 oz = 1.125 GALLONS!! Jeez, I can't drink that much
water in a day!!

Neither can I! That water is terrible stuff. It has no taste!

And to quote the magnificent W. C. Fields: "I don't drink water... fish f**k in
it...."

Ron Wanttaja

Old December 26th 05, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Did you guys see the Miller light commercial? It actually featured
this "Christmas light" house.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1094/
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1022/