Paragliding crash

Old June 26th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Paragliding crash

I just ran across a fascinating video of a paragliding pilot that gets
into trouble, makes the right decision and gets on the ground safely
with his reserve. Things sometimes go very wrong in the air, so for all
their contraversy, I for one would love to have a similar option and
have BRS style emergency chutes installed on planes I fly.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...380066&q=crash

Watch it till the end - it gets even more exciting in the last few
seconds :-)

-Aviv

Old June 26th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Wow! Interesting video. Can't tell exactly what happened but it
sounded like he hit some strong lift - at that point, a guess would be
either that he manuevered to stay in it and did a stall/spin (not
unknown in certificated gliders), or the flexible wing 'collapsed' in
some way that he was not able to recover from.

When I glided in sailplanes (part 91 type) I wore a chute but never used
it thank god. I have tree landed and pulled 2 others out of trees. The
end of this one brought back many memories.

Thanks.

Old June 26th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Was that a Stall Warning horn we can hear? I don't know anything about these
things. His problems started right after the horn went crazy. Strike that,
his problems may have started when he strapped that thing on him.
ron

Old June 26th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ron Snipes" wrote in message
Was that a Stall Warning horn we can hear? I don't know anything about
these
things. His problems started right after the horn went crazy. Strike that,
his problems may have started when he strapped that thing on him.
ron

I think that is a thermal indicator. They beep faster as you gain altitude
in a thermal.

DW

Old June 26th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Darkwing wrote:
"Ron Snipes" wrote in message
I think that is a thermal indicator. They beep faster as you gain

altitude
in a thermal.

That is correct. An "audio variometer" might be the term to use.
Glider pilots call it "the audio". The increase in volume and rate
indicates a quickly increasing and sustained rate of climb. He hit a
strong thermal concurrent with the upset that brought him down.

It's not uncommon, though sloppy, for gliders to stall as they pitch up
to enter and circle in a thermal. I have no familiarity with flexible
wing aircraft. I wonder if a 'sharp edged' thermal can momentarily
increase the wing's angle of attack to the stall angle since the delta
between forward speed and the thermal's vertical speed is relatively
small. A strong thermal can easily have a sustained vertical speed of
10knots, and I'm guessing a flex wing aircraft can have a minimum
forward spped of 15knots or less (?).

Old June 26th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Snipes schrieb:

Was that a Stall Warning horn we can hear? I don't know anything about these
things. His problems started right after the horn went crazy. Strike that,
his problems may have started when he strapped that thing on him.

Oh yeah. When pedestrians, journalists and other kinds of lower spezies
think aviation is dangerous, they are ignorant. But those same pilots
who know everything about aviation act exactly the same when it comes to
flying apparati they don't know anything about.

BTW, what you've heard is an acoustic variometer (vertical speed
indicator). The increasing beep rate means he's entered a thermal and is
gaining altitude.

Stefan
Old June 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

I just ran across a fascinating video of a paragliding pilot that gets
into trouble, makes the right decision and gets on the ground safely
with his reserve. Things sometimes go very wrong in the air, so for all
their contraversy, I for one would love to have a similar option and
have BRS style emergency chutes installed on planes I fly.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...380066&q=crash

Watch it till the end - it gets even more exciting in the last few
seconds :-)

-Aviv

Oh My God!!!

What a video. You'd think this happened to this guy everyday the way
he never had any inflection to his voice.

Thanks for sharing.
Old June 27th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

I just ran across a fascinating video of a paragliding pilot that gets
-Aviv

Oh My God!!!

What a video. You'd think this happened to this guy everyday the way
he never had any inflection to his voice.

yeah, I was waiting for the obligatory "oh S#!+"