US was ready to seize Gulf oil in 1973

Old January 2nd 04, 08:37 AM
Krztalizer

Default US was ready to seize Gulf oil in 1973

Hey, Michael - this doesn't have jack **** to do with R.A.M.; just another one
of your incessant attempts to use your red finger to point out our flaws.

One of the main points that the article doesn't go out of its way to stress is
that we did *not* invade the Mideast in 1973. Its called a "contingency plan",
Michael. Governments have them, covering thousands of possible events.
Another fizzled alarm from our resident apparachik...

Old January 3rd 04, 03:20 AM
Krztalizer

"If he holds a knife at my throat, I'll shoot him"

that your new motto, Sandman?
Old January 3rd 04, 03:23 AM
Dave Kearton

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

| "If he holds a knife at my throat, I'll shoot him"
|

| that your new motto, Sandman?

Sure - like I want to go through that again ;-)

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 4th 04, 10:07 PM
Matt Wiser

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
Chad Irby wrote:
In article ,
"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj"

wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:

And there were *dozens* of such plans by

the USSR for invading pretty
much everyone, at some time or another.

Do they make good reading?

Actually, yes. Especially if you're interested

in learning about how
the old Soviet Union was planning on taking

over most of Europe and the
Middle East.

Likewise, the old 1949 "Dropshot" plan for

a US war against the Soviet
Union in 1957 is quite interesting. The primary

assumption was that the
USSR was going to try and take over basically

the whole world, starting
with Europe and Asia, and that the West would

be in a defensive fight
from day one.

The US didn't completely abandon the Dropshot

plan until the 1970s, and
made it public in 1977, right about the time

we started to realize that
the USSR was having too many internal troubles

to manage an aggressive
war of any size.

So where can one find the nitty gritty of them.

Dropshot was pubished in book form in the late 70s; my public library has
a copy. Another plan that hasn't been published, but has been treated in
a book is OPLAN 316-62. This is the plan for the Invasion of Cuba if Ivan
hadn't backed down in October of '62. Dino Bruigoni's Eyeball to Eyeball
gave an outline-a two division airdrop with 82nd and 101st Airborne Divs,
a simultaneous amphib landing by 2nd Marine Div, with the Army's 1st Armored,
1st, 2nd, and 4th IDs as follow-on forces, and the 5th ID and a Combat Command
from 2nd Armored Divison as reserve. If no nukes get fired, organized resistance
was expected to be over by D+15, with U.S. casualties expected to be a thousand
a day for the first ten days. 40,000 Marines and over 100,000 Army troops,
with overwhelming USAF, Navy, and Marine air support. 850 AF, Navy, and Marine
aircraft for the air campaign (8 days minimum, up to 18 at CINCLANT's discretion).
Particulars still classified.