A Google Groups alternative to rec.aviation.piloting?

Old August 17th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default A Google Groups alternative to rec.aviation.piloting?

Dudley Henriques writes:

80 isn't all that bad for a normal takeoff in a 182. Sea Level Vy for
the airplane if I remember is right around 78kts? Been a long time :-)

Hmm ... in that case I guess I'm doing okay. I like having airspeed.

Hang in there. You're doing fine!

Well, my last 767 flight (and most 767 flights before that) ended in tragedy.
I've only managed two decent landings, and they were both autolands. It seems
that 767s just don't want to descend.

However, I just managed a very clean flight in the 182, VFR at night no less.
Old August 17th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Nomen Nescio writes:

You panic quite easily, don't you?

Not at all.

BTW, panic in the air will kill you just as fast as panic in the water.

I'm not prone to panic in the air.
Old August 17th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Aug 17, 1:37 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Nomen Nescio writes:
You panic quite easily, don't you?

Not at all.

BTW, panic in the air will kill you just as fast as panic in the water.

I'm not prone to panic in the air.

I have a friend like that, one helluva nice guy, but
he has a hard time figuring out fact from fiction,
he reads a novel and then believes it was his own
personal experience, and that becomes part of his
memory of something he actually did.
The shrinks likely have a name for that specific
syndrome. Of course everyone has an issue with
deciding fact from fiction, so I guess it's a matter
of degree.
Ken
Old August 17th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Nomen Nescio writes:
You panic quite easily, don't you?

Not at all.

BTW, panic in the air will kill you just as fast as panic in the
water.

I'm not prone to panic in the air.

I have a friend like that, one helluva nice guy, but
he has a hard time figuring out fact from fiction,
he reads a novel and then believes it was his own
personal experience, and that becomes part of his
memory of something he actually did.
The shrinks likely have a name for that specific
syndrome. Of course everyone has an issue with
deciding fact from fiction, so I guess it's a matter
of degree.

yeah, a "friend"

Bertie
Old August 17th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 16, 6:08*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On Aug 16, 2:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

Ken S. Tucker writes:
Ok, have you ever been in a sail boat?

No.

Well you must try it.
Your doing a tack with the sail fully stable suckin'
energy from the wind, cuttin' water and bouncin'
waves off the starboards, that's the sound you hear.

Next, you reverse tact and the sail flutters (stalls)
until re-acquistion of stability going in nearly the
opposite direction and you're still heading into the
wind, so the net motion is into the wind. Every pilot
should do that. I was on trapeze, *with a good fat old
captain on the til, and me being a skinny lively bitch
loved jumped to either side of the boat, pulling the
sail to max the energy out of the wind.
Regards
Ken
PS: Read about it.

On our boat we put the crew to the windward side to keep the mast more
vertical. We adjust the sail by pulling on the correct strings, and
it depends on the tack as to which is the lee rail going awash.

As for stalling a sail -- on a beat there's lots of flow separation on
the low pressure side of the sail, but it continues to drive the boat.
The luffing at the trailing edge just means there's marginal flow
separation there, not at the leading edge. If you want to really see a
sail stall, do a jibe, not a come about. If you don't duck you'll
learn soon enough why the part sweeping across the cockpit is called a
boom.

Old August 17th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I may actually try creating a Google Groups piloting group as a
final experiment.

No offense (honest), but why would I want you as my moderator? I don't even
know you, and your unsolicited offer to appoint yourself does nothing to give me
confidence.

Vaughn

Old August 17th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Nomen Nescio writes:

You panic quite easily, don't you?

Not at all.

Right, that's why you've almost drowned several times when all you had
to do was relax, lean your head back, and float.

I'm not prone to panic in the air.

Right.

--
Jim Pennino