Goodbye to Garmin's Weather Monopoly

Old April 18th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Goodbye to Garmin's Weather Monopoly

From EAA's hotline:

XM RADIO TEAMS WITH AVMAP
As part of XM Radio's ongoing effort to provide pilots with a wide selection
of XM WX-capable display solutions, the company has teamed with AvMap. AvMap
will offer XM WX Satellite Weather as an option on its portable navigation
systems including the EKP-IV, the EKP-IV PRO, and the GeoPilot II Plus. To
learn more visit www.avmap.us or www.xmwxweather.com.

It's about time!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 18th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
From EAA's hotline:

XM RADIO TEAMS WITH AVMAP
As part of XM Radio's ongoing effort to provide pilots with a wide selection
of XM WX-capable display solutions, the company has teamed with AvMap. AvMap
will offer XM WX Satellite Weather as an option on its portable navigation
systems including the EKP-IV, the EKP-IV PRO, and the GeoPilot II Plus. To
learn more visit www.avmap.us or www.xmwxweather.com.

Where, unless they've updated the web sites in the few hours,
you will find nothing about it on the Avmap site and an Avmap logo
on the XM site which takes you back to the Avmap site.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 18th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
From EAA's hotline:

XM RADIO TEAMS WITH AVMAP
As part of XM Radio's ongoing effort to provide pilots with a wide
selection of XM WX-capable display solutions, the company has teamed
with AvMap. AvMap will offer XM WX Satellite Weather as an option on its
portable navigation systems including the EKP-IV, the EKP-IV PRO, and
the GeoPilot II Plus. To learn more visit www.avmap.us or
www.xmwxweather.com.

It's about time!

Garmin has never had a monopoly on the weather. AnywhereMap has had
it on their solution for years.
Old April 18th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Garmin has never had a monopoly on the weather. AnywhereMap has had
it on their solution for years.

True enough. But as far as an all-in-one box, Garmin was it.

No more. (Although that AvMap website is a real mystery...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old April 18th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

From EAA's hotline:

XM RADIO TEAMS WITH AVMAP
As part of XM Radio's ongoing effort to provide pilots with a wide
selection of XM WX-capable display solutions, the company has teamed
with AvMap. AvMap will offer XM WX Satellite Weather as an option on
its portable navigation systems including the EKP-IV, the EKP-IV PRO,
and the GeoPilot II Plus. To learn more visit www.avmap.us or
www.xmwxweather.com.

It's about time!

You're a moron.

Bertie
Old April 18th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:_JTNj.124932$yE1.4110
@attbi_s21:

Garmin has never had a monopoly on the weather. AnywhereMap has had
it on their solution for years.

True enough. But as far as an all-in-one box, Garmin was it.

No, it wasn't.

Bertie
Old April 18th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-18, Jay Honeck wrote:
Garmin has never had a monopoly on the weather. AnywhereMap has had
it on their solution for years.

True enough. But as far as an all-in-one box, Garmin was it.

Will the others interface with my GNS430W? (At least as well as the 496
does.) Do the others provide XM radio? (My roommate is addicted to XM 164; I
am, too, but expect that it'll be hard to follow a story with ATC traffic
cutting in frequently.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 18th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
From EAA's hotline:

XM RADIO TEAMS WITH AVMAP
As part of XM Radio's ongoing effort to provide pilots with a wide selection
of XM WX-capable display solutions, the company has teamed with AvMap. AvMap
will offer XM WX Satellite Weather as an option on its portable navigation
systems including the EKP-IV, the EKP-IV PRO, and the GeoPilot II Plus. To
learn more visit
www.avmap.us or www.xmwxweather.com.

Where, unless they've updated the web sites in the few hours,
you will find nothing about it on the Avmap site and an Avmap logo
on the XM site which takes you back to the Avmap site.

The only mention I could find of XM Wx on the Avmap site was this on the
Geopilot II Plus page.

Weather Conditions (coming soon!)
With an optional antenna you will be able to receive constantly updated
XM/WX weather conditions: NEXRAD (next generation radar), and Lightning
information will be displayed on the map.
Old April 18th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
Garmin has never had a monopoly on the weather. AnywhereMap has had
it on their solution for years.

True enough. But as far as an all-in-one box, Garmin was it.
No more. (Although that AvMap website is a real mystery...)

Do we KNOW that the AvMap is going to be all-in-one?
Old April 18th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Jay Maynard wrote:
Do the others provide XM radio? (My roommate is addicted to XM 164; I
am, too, but expect that it'll be hard to follow a story with ATC traffic
cutting in frequently.)

It's not bad. I don't have XM, but I do have about 4,000 hrs. of classics
on .mp3 that I listen to in flight. As long as your not in an ultra busy
sector, it's pretty easy to follow along. My intercom mutes the audio when
ATC transmits.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Jet engine Monopoly and the neocon agenda fusion Naval Aviation 0 August 19th 07 07:36 PM
Goodbye, AvMap... Jay Honeck Owning 10 October 21st 06 02:42 PM
Garmin 496 loss of satellite reception--Garmin's answer Dan Luke Piloting 0 August 22nd 06 05:32 PM
Goodbye F/A-22! noname Military Aviation 18 April 12th 04 10:36 PM
Goodbye USA! transputer Military Aviation 2 July 29th 03 03:42 PM