ILS approach to near minimums - Video

Old October 1st 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default ILS approach to near minimums - Video

BeechSundowner wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:48 pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

Didn't you know the x-wind factor for the runway you were using?

It changed as I was descending. The only thing I need to know is that
the x-wind is not above my capabilities before executing the approach.

My job is to keep the localizer centered and deal with the WCA
visually when I break out.

I have had wind changes that made significant changes on the way down
from the FAF.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 1st 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Isn't it an FAA regulation that wind has to change direction and speed
during all approaches in IMC? g

Old October 1st 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Oct 1, 12:50*pm, "Jon Woellhaf" wrote:
Isn't it an FAA regulation that wind has to change direction and speed
during all approaches in IMC? g

And for those FARS hungry, that can be found in FARS 91.999.999 point
niner sub paragragh J point 1 subject to wind conditions. If such
conditions exist, go down to W.I.N.D. and down to S.P.E.E.D, then to
the paragraph C.H.N.G.S for the regulation Jon refers to. LOL
Old October 2nd 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

On Oct 2, 1:37*am, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:48*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

Didn't you know the x-wind factor for the runway you were using?

It changed as I was descending. *The only thing I need to know is that
the x-wind is not above my capabilities before executing the approach.

My job is to keep the localizer centered and deal with the WCA
visually when I break out.

Sure, but my point is that you should then know where to look for the
runway threshold ...

Cheers
Old October 2nd 09, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Braddock

Flaps_50! wrote:
/snip/
Sure, but my point is that you should then know where to look for the
runway threshold ...

Cheers

You've never actually flown IFR, in real life, have you?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 2nd 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

On 2009-10-02, Flaps_50! wrote:
Sure, but my point is that you should then know where to look for the
runway threshold ...

You'll know that anyway, after all, you need to pay attention to the
DG as you follow the localizer. However, I've done more than one ILS
where the reported crosswind at the airfield hasn't even remotely
resembled the wind conditions at 300ft AGL.

Old October 2nd 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Oct 1, 11:11*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

Sure, but my point is that you should then know where to look for the
runway threshold ...

Cheers

Ummm, where did I say I didn't know where to look the runway was? I
said I was surprised on the crab angle on breaking out. My job before
breaking out is to maintain the localizer. Last thing on my mind is
the crab angle while IMC on my descent.

The only thing I need to know is the "general direction" where the
runway is breaking out to land. As others indicated, the DG and my
header bug will clue me in which direction to look.

Oh yeah, another thing. When going to minimums, we have to identify
the runway APPROACH lights, not the runway threshold when breaking out.
Old October 2nd 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 2, 10:13*am, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:11*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

Sure, but my point is that you should then know where to look for the
runway threshold ...

Cheers

Ummm, where did I say I didn't know where to look the runway was? *I
said I was surprised on the crab angle on breaking out. My job before
breaking out is to maintain the localizer. *Last thing on my mind is
the crab angle while IMC on my descent.

The only thing I need to know is the "general direction" where the
runway is breaking out to land. *As others indicated, the DG and my
header bug will clue me in which direction to look.

Oh yeah, another thing. *When going to minimums, we have to identify
the runway APPROACH lights, not the runway threshold when breaking out.

Another point, if you have an analog ADF -- the OM is also a beacon at
many airports -- glance at the needle when you get close to the middle
marker: It's a neat analog (no mental math) way of knowing where to
look -- if the needle is pointing 15 degrees to the left of the tail,
expect the approach lights to be pointed to by the end tail end of the
needle, 15 degrees to the right of the nose.

Old October 2nd 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Oct 2, 10:27*am, a wrote:

Another point, if you have an analog ADF -- the OM is also a beacon at
many airports -- glance at the needle when you get close to the middle
marker: It's a neat analog (no mental math) way of knowing where to
look -- if the needle is pointing 15 degrees to the left of the tail,
expect the approach lights to be pointed to by the end tail end of the
needle, 15 degrees to the right of the nose.

Too cool. While I don't have an ADF, I can clearly visualize what you
say and **almost** wish mine was still op as having a visual aid is
always is nice.

Also love your high Xwind landing tip you gave. It took me awhile to
visualize that as I kept thinking why land downwind side of the
runway, but it makes perfect sense thinking it through as now you are
set up for taxi, one step of the airplane before landing, I like it.

I probably wouldn't do it myself as if the winds were that high, I
probably wouldn't be flying anyway :-) but it's certainly a good tool
to consider should surface winds be higher then "forecasted" *surprise
surpise*./
Old October 2nd 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 2, 11:34*am, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:27*am, a wrote:

[...]

About ADFs. It's nice to know the clear channel AM stations. I can for
example tune into WBZ (1030) Boston from very far away, and the
ADFneedle will remind me of the direct route, That;s fun VFR at night,
but I don;t fly VFR at night. I also like that the needle points to
active thunderstorms when it's not providing a hint as to the way
home.

What angling into the wind by aiming at an angle across the runway
buys me is a somewhat slower touchdown speed. I like to land with the
airplane just about out of flying speed, and I hate having the rudder
into the stop to keep things aligned at the end of the flair, there's
no final 'kick' if it;s needed, and the damned nosewheel is pointing
off in left field somewhere. As I said earlier, these are things that
I would not do unless I really had lots of hours in the airplane.
Also, I never enter the flair without flaps, but in a cross wind (they
are electric and take a couple of seconds for each notch of flaps) I
start them up when into the flair. I don't want a slower stall speed
then, I want the airplane to stop flying. This is probably not a good
thing to do unless you are paying close attention. Sucking up the
wheels then does reduce the landing role, but it's a good idea to make
sure you're messing with the right control if you want to use the
airplane soon after landing.

I think one could writ a book on flying tips just by haresting them
from the newsgroup. I learned here to be more aggressive with clearing
turns on downwind base and final especially at uncontrolled airports,
and I strap on oxygen at night when at or above 9000 feet for an
extended period of time. Some of my practices, like those above, are
probably too wrong in the risk / benefit ratio for people who are
booking a hundred hours a year in different airplanes. One size does
not fit all.

I use my airplane for business, and even so abort one planned trip (or
leg) out of every 10 or 15 for safety reasons. Ice in the clouds,
embedded thunderstorms are showstoppers. I don't mind bouncing around
in the clouds if there are no thunderstorms, and it's frankly not
often that weather is worse than my personal minima and forecasted to
stay that way throughout my desired window of opportunity. My airplane
holds 66 gallons of fuel, and I average less than 9 gph, so so long as
everything keeps working 7 hours of endurance at 150 knots or more
gets me to golden alternates.