ILS approach and VOR Alpha Approach video

Old May 17th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ILS approach and VOR Alpha Approach video

Knocked out a couple of approaches today in IMC conditions. Was cut
short due to a vacuum system problem (note, not the pump).

Ceilings 1500 at KJAN and 1400 on my approach into KMBO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCvDb3mCAf8

Just after entering the clouds, saw my attitude indicator show an
extraordinary pitch up. Quick scan of my airspeed and VSI did not
confirm. Since I was IMC decided to continue approach and just work
my partial panel skills. Turning back wasn't an option.

In the full scheme of things, no big deal.

Camera was placed on glare shield for the outside view since I didn't
have a passenger It would have been nice to capture the
instrumentation discrepancies if anything for others to see it happen
under real conditions .but somebody had to man the shop and reaching
for the camera myself was not an option in IMC..

After settling in, just contacted approach and advised them I didn't
have a vacuum system, and would use ground track for my heading
directions. When asked my intentions, I said to continue my ILS
approach into KJAN and then VOR Alpha back to Madison with vectors. I
had in my mind if it was too much work, just would do a full stop at
KJAN.

ATC asked if I needed any assistance and I declined as everything
really was under control.

Used my VSI as my "attitude indicator" figuring if it was level,
airplane was level. If it pointed down, then I figured my nose was
pointed down, and vice versa for pitch up.

While I could have used the TC for bank information, I found it much
easier in my scan just to use the ground track on the Garminm 430. If
it changed, I figured the plane was banking.

Problem I think (still getting this checked into) is the vacuum
regulator as my vacuum gauge was reading 6 out of possible high of
7. Time will tell...

Allen
Old May 17th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:29:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCvDb3mCAf8

You're videos are always so professional and entertaining. You have
my sincere gratitude for all your effort.

I picked one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-...937 10&sr=8-1
Panasonic HDC-SD9 AVCHD 3CCD Flash Memory High Definition
Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

List Price: $799.95
Price: $568.88
You Save: $231.07 (29%)

Don't forget to order an SD card along with the camcorder.

It's incredibly small, very few moving parts.

The ability to create High Definition video at this time places you in
the role of pioneer, as most things have not yet been captured in that
medium.

Old May 17th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 16, 10:15*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

It's incredibly small, very few moving parts. *

The ability to create High Definition video at this time places you in
the role of pioneer, as most things have not yet been captured in that
medium. *

Very nice! I wonder about the file size on HD videos? How big are
they? 1 minute video on my camera = 10 meg.

Have you tried your camera inside a plane? What I have been doing on
my last two videos is putting my pocket size Kodak Easy Share on the
glareshield propped up with my portfolio that doesn't slide around.
Works very well in smooth and light turbulence thus far. Obviously
anything more then that, camera wouldn't be even turned on.

Wondering if the above would work with yours or would you need a
tripod (or sticky pod) to mount the camera?

I am all for pioneering new things :-)
Old May 17th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:26:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
:

On May 16, 10:15*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

It's incredibly small, very few moving parts. *

The ability to create High Definition video at this time places you in
the role of pioneer, as most things have not yet been captured in that
medium. *

Very nice! I wonder about the file size on HD videos? How big are
they? 1 minute video on my camera = 10 meg.

http://37prime.com/blog/2008/04/14/p...-video-sample/
Video info:
http://37prime.com/prepare_for_landi..._sd9_1080p.mov
* Format: H.264, 1920×1080
* File Size: 16.66 MB
* Frame Rate: 23.98 FPS
* Data rate: 8.73 mbits/s
* Length: 16.01 seconds

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...odel.HDC-SD9.S
Recording Time SDHC: 16GB: HA (2 hrs)/HG (2hrs 40mins)/HX
(4hrs)/HE (6hrs)
8GB: HA (1hr)/HG (1hr 20mins)/HX (2hrs)/HE (3hrs)
4GB: HA (30mins)/HG (40mins)/HX (1hr)/HE (1hr 30mins)

Full Specs:
MEDIA .
Records Onto SD/SDHC Memory Card
Recording Format AVCHD (Motion Image)
LENS
Image Sensor (Total) 1/6" CCD (560K x 3 pixels)
Image Sensor (Effective) 16:9 -- 520K x 3
(Moving Picture/Still Picture)
F Value F1.8 (Wide) / F2.8 (Tele)
Optical Zoom 10x Variable Speed Zoom
Focal Length 3.0 - 30 mm
Filter Diameter 37mm
35mm Film Camera Equivalent 42.9 - 429 mm (16:9)
(Moving Picture/Still Picture)
Lens Type Leica Dicomar
CAMERA
3CCD Camera System Yes
Image Stabilizer Yes (Advanced O.I.S.)
Still Picture Recording yes (2.1 Megapixel 16:9)
Minimum Illumination 5 Lux (1/30 Low Light Mode), 1 Lux
(Magic Pix® Mode)
Focus AF/Manual
White Balance Auto/Indoor/Outdoor/White Set
High Speed Shutter 60i: Auto Slow Shutter ON: 1/30-1/8000, OFF:
1/60-1/8000 (Motion Image)(Still Picture, Progressive: 1/30-)
24p: Auto Slow Shutter ON: 1/24-1/8000, OFF: 1/48-1/8000 (Motion
Image)(Still Picture, Progressive: 1/24-)
Iris Auto/Manual
Backlight Compensation Yes
Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) No
LCD Monitor 2.7" Wide (300,000 Dots)
Power LCD Yes(Extra)
Wide Viewing Angle LCD 170° (Vertically & Horizontally)
Pure Color Engine HD Advanced
Soft-Skin Mode Yes
Easy-to-Use Mode Dial Yes
MagicPix Images Yes
Simultaneous Motion Video & Still Picture Recording Yes
Microphone Dolby Digital/5.1 ch, Zoom Microphone
Date Recording Auto Date (in Date Code)
Fade in/out Yes
On-Screen Display Language English / Canadian French / Spanish
Digital Zoom 1 25x-700x
Flash 1m - 2.5m (approx.)
Quick Start 0.6 seconds
RECORDING & PLAYBACK
Applicable Disc No
Cue and Review No
Skip No
Video Recording Format AVCHD (Motion Image)
Recording Mode HD: HA (17 Mbps/VBR), HG (13 Mbps/VBR), HX (9
Mbps/VBR), HE (6 Mbps/VBR)
Playback Mode HD: HA (17 Mbps/VBR), HG (13 Mbps/VBR), HX (9
Mbps/VBR), HE (6 Mbps/VBR)
Audio Recording Format Dolby Digital (Dolby AC3) /
5.1-channel
Recording Time SDHC: 16GB: HA (2 hrs)/HG (2hrs 40mins)/HX
(4hrs)/HE (6hrs)
8GB: HA (1hr)/HG (1hr 20mins)/HX (2hrs)/HE (3hrs)
4GB: HA (30mins)/HG (40mins)/HX (1hr)/HE (1hr 30mins)
Still Picture JPEG Picture Size:
2.1 MEGA: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
Still Picture Recording Number SDHC: 16GB: (13470, 21170),
8GB: (6690, 10520), 4GB: (3290, 5160)
Counter Yes
Remaining Indication Yes
Pre-Rec Function Yes
Intelligent Contrast Control Yes
One-Touch Navigation Yes
Help Mode Yes
Tele Macro Yes (50cm)
AGS (Auto Ground-Directional Standby) Yes
Disc Copy Function Yes (when using a DVD Burner (VW-BN1), data
from SD Memory Card can be copied to a 12-cm DVD Disc)
USB Host Function Yes
SD CARD FEATURES .
Built-in SD Slot Yes (SD/SDHC)
DPOF Max. 999 stills
PictBridge Compatible Yes
JACKS .
Video Component Yes
HDMI Yes (mini)
Audio Output Yes
USB Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0)(mini AB)
Analog In/Out Out only
Accessory Shoe No
AV Out
INCLUDED ACCESSORIES .
AC Adaptor Yes
Battery Pack Lithium-Ion
Video Component Cable Yes
AV Cable Yes
USB Cable Yes
IR Remote Yes
Lens Cap No
Software HD Writer 2.5E
Other Cables AC/DC Cables
Free DVD Burner No
GENERAL .
Power Supply DC 7.2/9.3 V
Power Consumption 5.8W
Footnotes

1 As digital magnification increases, resolution significantly
decreases.

Have you tried your camera inside a plane?

Not yet.

What I have been doing on my last two videos is putting my pocket
size Kodak Easy Share on the glareshield propped up with my portfolio
that doesn't slide around.

Does the Kodak have active image stabilization?

Works very well in smooth and light turbulence thus far. Obviously
anything more then that, camera wouldn't be even turned on.

Wondering if the above would work with yours or would you need a
tripod (or sticky pod) to mount the camera?

I would expect your arrangement to work as well with the Panasonic as
the Kodak.

I am all for pioneering new things :-)

It's an opportunity, the window of which is closing...

What video editing software do you use?

The Panasonic software is only basic. Nero or Pinnacle seem to do a
good job (better under XP32 than Vista64) with AVCHD format. I picked
up a 3GHz Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 with 4GB of DDR3 RAM
running at 1,333 MHz and two 10,000 rpm CDC Vipers in a RAID 0
configuration from Robert at XI Computer: http://www.xicomputer.com/ .
That helps minimize waiting for video processing.
Old May 17th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 16, 11:00*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
* *http://37prime.com/prepare_for_landi..._sd9_1080p.mov
* * * * * Format: H.264, 1920×1080
* * * * * File Size: 16.66 MB
* * * * * Frame Rate: 23.98 FPS
* * * * * Data rate: 8.73 mbits/s
* * * * * Length: 16.01 seconds

Quality is great! ! meg a second though, Ouch! Not so sure it would
work on You Tube too well with my Bellsouth DSL bandwidth.

Does the Kodak have active image stabilization?

Yes, and this probably made my landings much better on video :-) 7530
is the series I am using.

What video editing software do you use?

Windows Movie Maker is my flavor of choice.

Easy to compress file size when neede with Windows Movie Maker.