vfr on top

Old February 15th 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Myname

Default vfr on top

What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand the
ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?
Old February 15th 10, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Myname wrote:

What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand
the ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?

Well, what are the advantages of IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel?

Old February 15th 10, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Myname writes:

What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand the
ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?

The main advantage is that it allows a pilot to choose his altitude at his
discretion, within broad limits, rather than request approval for every change
of altitude from ATC.
Old February 15th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 15, 4:11*am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
Myname wrote:

What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand
the ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?

Well, what are the advantages of *IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel?

To legally punch a cloud deck.

I have done this several times on a 50NM trip where it was VFR at my
destination.

It's easier to cancel in the air with KJAN once I am 1000 foot above
the cloud deck then to have to call FSS to cancel my IFR.

I would only be with Memphis center a mere 3 to 5 minutes before
initiating a descent below radar coverage so I can't cancel with them
on the ground.
Old February 20th 10, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old February 20th 10, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

You can already do that with VFR w/flight following.

Not if you have to fly through clouds to get to your cruising altitude. While
you have the option of cancelling IFR once you are in VMC, ATC is not required
to provide flight following, whereas it is required to accommodate IFR.
Old February 20th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote:

Myname wrote:

What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand
the ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?

Well, what are the advantages of *IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel?

To legally punch a cloud deck.

I have done this several times on a 50NM trip where it was VFR at my
destination.

It's easier to cancel in the air with KJAN once I am 1000 foot above
the cloud deck then to have to call FSS to cancel my IFR.

I would only be with Memphis center a mere 3 to 5 minutes before
initiating a descent below radar coverage so I can't cancel with them
on the ground.

That's not "IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel", that's IFR to punch
through a cloud deck then cancel upon reaching VFR conditions. You're
not VFR-on-top until you've been cleared to maintain VFR-on-top and
you can't be cleared to maintain VFR-on-top until you've reported
reaching VFR-on-top.

Old February 20th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

On Feb 15, 4:21*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Myname writes:
What are the advantages of vfr-on-top in the real world? I understand the
ifr to vfr-on-top then cancel, but what about other uses?

The main advantage is that it allows a pilot to choose his altitude at his
discretion, within broad limits, rather than request approval for every change
of altitude from ATC.

You can do that under VFR with even broader limits on altitude and the
additional advantage of altering your route at your discretion.

Old February 20th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

On Feb 20, 1:46*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

You can already do that with VFR w/flight following.

Not if you have to fly through clouds to get to your cruising altitude. While
you have the option of cancelling IFR once you are in VMC, ATC is not required
to provide flight following, whereas it is required to accommodate IFR.

Required to accommodate IFR? If traffic or SUA does not allow the
issuance of that IFR clearance to climb through the clouds it's not
going to be issued.

Old February 20th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

Required to accommodate IFR? If traffic or SUA does not allow the
issuance of that IFR clearance to climb through the clouds it's not
going to be issued.

ATC cannot deny service to IFR flights once a clearance has been issued, so
once you've started your IFR flight they cannot cut you off. Flight following,
on the other hand, is at the discretion of ATC, based on the controllers'
workload and other considerations. So, while you're guaranteed to continue
getting IFR services once you've got them, if you cancel IFR and then request
flight following, there's no guarantee that you'll get it.