Radio out- Would you fly?

Old May 4th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Radio out- Would you fly?

The situation:

The aircraft was originally certified without an electrical
system. It's usually flown with a handheld radio powered by
a battery. The battery is dead. The airport is
non-towered. The wind is nearly 90 degrees crosswind. You
haven't been able to fly in 4 weeks, and if you don't fly
today, you won't be able to get in the air for at least
another week.

Would you fly?

Old May 4th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The aircraft was originally certified without an electrical
system. It's usually flown with a handheld radio powered by
a battery. The battery is dead. The airport is
non-towered. The wind is nearly 90 degrees crosswind. You
haven't been able to fly in 4 weeks, and if you don't fly
today, you won't be able to get in the air for at least
another week.

Would you fly?

Not enough information. Radio out in and of itself at an uncontrolled
field wouldn't stop me, but that would depend on the field too. There
can be other NORDOs in the pattern, and the pattern could also be empty.
Assuming my MK-1 eyeball is in good shape, that's what one uses primarily.

What is the strength of the wind. 6 knots at 90 degrees in a nosewheel
is different from 20 knots at 90 degrees in a tailwagger.

Although it's been a month since my last flight, how proficient am I?
Maybe quite proficient, maybe too rusty to solo on a calm day - it
depends on experience, competence, and other things.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 4th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert Tenet wrote in
:

The situation:

The aircraft was originally certified without an electrical
system. It's usually flown with a handheld radio powered by
a battery. The battery is dead. The airport is
non-towered. The wind is nearly 90 degrees crosswind. You
haven't been able to fly in 4 weeks, and if you don't fly
today, you won't be able to get in the air for at least
another week.

Would you fly?

If the crosswind component was within my personal, and the aircraft's
limits, yeah, why not?

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old May 4th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would. But of course ATC won't be able to help you if your engine
stalls.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old May 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mike Schumann" wrote:

How busy is the field? How strong is the crosswind?

One operation every 10-20 minutes. Crosswind strong, but
easily within your capabilities. However, it is variable
enough that after takeoff it might change the preferred T/O
or landing direction.

Old May 4th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thankfully the plane also has a Mode S transponder and fish finder that is
installed and working as well as a G1000 panel! I'll fly it.

DW

Old May 4th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Robert Tenet wrote:

Would you fly?

probably.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Do not feed the trolls.

MX385 Radio removal Marty from Florida Owning 3 May 24th 13 08:26 AM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
1944 Aerial War Comes to Life in Radio Play Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 11:57 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM