WWD information sought

Old September 2nd 04, 08:55 PM
Arnold Sten

Default WWD information sought

The wife and I will be flying to Ocean City/Wildwood N.J. this Saturday
to get our feet wet in the Atlantic one more time before fall and the
onslought of Frances up the East coast next week. Just wondering if
anyone has gone to WWD this summer. What are the current parking/tie
down fees, etc? Any particularly good or bad experiences? Anything
unusual to look out for, other than the seagulls.

Zack Sten
Old September 3rd 04, 01:45 AM
Steve

Zack,
I fly down to WWD often. If you don't stay overnight, there is no parking
fee. Parking is $6 per day otherwise. I think purchasing fuel might wave
one day's parking. But I'm not sure since I usually stay over a week at a
time. Some of the tiedown ropes are not in the best of shape and some spots
have no ropes at all. So if you have your own ropes I would bring them just
in case. Overall it's a great airport!!

Steve

news

Old September 3rd 04, 01:43 PM
Rich Alberth

I will be flying to Ocean City/Wildwood N.J. this Saturday

Sounds like a good idea. I've been to both airports a bunch.
I like Ocen City better - a nice airport, love flying final over
the island and seeing the ponys. The people at the FBO are nice, and
the ramp is a bit better.

WWD: this year we flew up from west of D.C. - great trip over the top
of
the Ch. bay and Delaware bay, and great place to spot Hercs and B52s
over Dover AFB. If you haven't been to WWD, don't sweat it - it's on
the end of a peninsula, you can't miss it. DO worry about a sunny
Saturday on their CTAF - everybody at every other airport uses it :-)
I usually don't call in until I'm low and 5-8mi out so I don't pick up
all the other airports.

Once down, the large light building that looks ancient truely is: it's
something like the oldest or largest wooden hanger left and houses a
museum. Taxi past it to the Blue metal hanger at the end and park. I
tried to find someone there, but it seemed empty. Last time we just
parked and tied down. Call a taxi from your cell phone: numbers are
posted on the door.

We've never paid a parking fee for the day with or without fuel.

Don't bother coming in IFR, not worth it unless you have a low layer
you can't get thru otherwise.

Also, a low flight down the beach offshore is a nice intro on your way
in: stay about 1,500 to keep way out of the way of the banner tow
planes - just a common curtesy.

When we go, we grab a taxi (flat fee by zone). Ask them to take you
to the boardwalk by the ferriswheel, and when they drop you off, make
arrangements to pick you up at a specific time at the ferris wheel.
It's a landmark you can't miss.

- Rich