Radio Range Question

Old September 6th 05, 11:18 AM
Charles Wood

Default Radio Range Question

Hello All,

Hoping some experts/old timers here might help me on a basic Radio
Range question.

I understand the principle of merging the A's and the N's to get the
on-beam signal.

I have been told that, while originally this merge created a
continuous, uninterrupted tone except for the station identification
every 30 seconds, that it later evolved to a "Pulsed on-beam tone"
i.e., a series of dashes when flying "on the beam."

Is that information correct? I'm looking for personal flight
experience here, if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Charles Wood
Old September 6th 05, 01:50 PM
Bob Moore

Charles Wood wrote
I have been told that, while originally this merge created a
continuous, uninterrupted tone except for the station identification
every 30 seconds, that it later evolved to a "Pulsed on-beam tone"
i.e., a series of dashes when flying "on the beam."

Not during my instrument training time in 1959. I spent a lot of
time listening to the "Alice" radio range in Alice, TX. Never once
used a radio range after I left Advanced Training at Kingsville, TX.
for anything but ADF'ing.

Now...there were long range navigation systems such as CONSOLAN that
used pulsed dashes and pulsed dots to indicate on which bearing from
the station the receiver was located. It requried a special CONSOLAN
chart for navigation. Perhaps a web search on "CONSOLAN" will turn up
some more information.

Bob Moore
Old September 6th 05, 07:44 PM
Chris G.

Are there even ANY radio ranges still in existence in the US?

Chris G.

Charles Wood wrote

Old September 6th 05, 07:56 PM
Brad Zeigler

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message
eenews.net...
Are there even ANY radio ranges still in existence in the US?

Chris G.

Not for nearly forty years. I'm curious if anyone has made an add-on for
MSFS. It would be quite nostalgic to fly a A-N range approach in a skyhawk.

Old September 6th 05, 10:02 PM
Icebound

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message
eenews.net...
Are there even ANY radio ranges still in existence in the US?

If there were, the technicians tasked with maintaining them would burn them
down on purpose.

Old September 7th 05, 12:49 AM
vincent p. norris

Are there even ANY radio ranges still in existence in the US?

If there were, the technicians tasked with maintaining them would burn them
down on purpose.

I hated those damn ranges when they were all we had; they were always
most difficult to use when we needed them the most. The static was
ear-splitting.

But now, half a century later, I get a nostalgic feeling about them,
and would really love to go fly one again--with no thunderstorms
around, of course.

vince norris
Old September 8th 05, 01:50 AM
Bushleague

Guys have been watching TCM too much "Texas Clarke in Plane Nine,
I can't land unless you give me the dope"! Newark was a grass strip.
Remember the movie?

Bush

Old September 9th 05, 01:08 AM
vincent p. norris

Guys have been watching TCM too much "Texas Clarke in Plane Nine,
I can't land unless you give me the dope"! Newark was a grass strip.
Remember the movie?

Bush

Gosh, you must be even more ancient than I am! When was that movie
made?

vince norris