Engine Shop Selection (was 'showing metal @ 1,100)

Old January 5th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine Shop Selection (was 'showing metal @ 1,100)

Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued.
Old January 5th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maule Driver wrote:

2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Hi MD,

Don't overlook Triad Engines just up the road at Burlington (BUY). They have
overhauled 2 engines for me, an O360 in a Cherokee and an IO-360 in the Mooney.
I've been very satisfied. Othman Rashed 800-334-6437. Stop by for a tour of
their facility, Othman will show you around.

I've also had an engine done by one of the big-name national overhaulers, and it
was a less than satisfactory experience. I won't do that again.

You can have your propeller done at the same time at H&H Propeller, in the same
building.

If you're not AOG, you can fly it up to BUY and have them do the R&R, too, and
probably save on shipping. Let me know if you need a ride home .

Dave
Old January 5th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maule Driver wrote:
: Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
: filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
: my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

: 1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
: overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
: 900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

: 2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
: with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Depending on who does the work, the word "overhaul" means different things to
different people. In a regulatory sense, it's quite specific (e.g. accessories must
be overhauled, etc). Realistically, if you're splitting the case halves anyway, you
might as well do the "difficult" part of the overhaul as part of your exploratory.
Send the steel parts off to have the magnafluxed, and replace all the bottom end parts
you need to. Think hard about the cam if it (unlikely) doesn't *need* to be
replaced.... probably want to anyway. In any event, a quickie bottom-end "overhaul"
isn't that expensive. I wouldn't do the jugs or accessories if not necessary...
they're easy to do on the plane later.

I'm sure other people have differing opinions... ranging from leave it alone
to getting a factory new.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 5th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Butler wrote:
: Don't overlook Triad Engines just up the road at Burlington (BUY). They have
: overhauled 2 engines for me, an O360 in a Cherokee and an IO-360 in the Mooney.
: I've been very satisfied. Othman Rashed 800-334-6437. Stop by for a tour of
: their facility, Othman will show you around.

I had an IRAN on my jugs done at Triad shortly after we bought our plane. Had
sticking valves and broken valve springs due to non-flying. I was happy with the
experience. Got a quickie tour while there after dropping our jugs off. Nice place
(and only an hour or so flight to get there from here)

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 6th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maule Driver wrote:
Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued.

The last time I talked to Mattituck they could have cared less if they
got our business.

Columbia Aircraft in PA, sorry I can't remember exactly where they are
located. They seemed to be eager for our business and had all the right
toys.
Michelle
Old January 6th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Before you do anything, you might want to check to see if your engine falls
under the expanded AD for the Lycoming O-360 crankshaft recall.

With regards to shop selection, I can recommend against Magnum engines in
Ohio. They are absolute crooks.

.. .

Old January 6th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I did forget about them - I knew a little about them after spending some
time at BUY...

Re the big name shop - given my current assesment that getting the
problem fixed short of a full overhaul makes sense for me - I'm staying
away from the big name overhaul shops.

Thanks.

Old January 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That's interesting. I always hear about the top end overhaul which
makes sense for an engine with a lot of time and losing compression.
The bottom end checkup would probably make sense at this time. The
Magnaflux to check for cracks and doing whatever is required to fix those.

BTW, I've found my 5+ year collection of LPM to be invaluable in
understanding the terminology, procedures and practices surrounding
engine work.

Old January 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maule Driver wrote:
Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued.

I had a similar situation where my O360 (around 1000 hrs) started making
metal. I opted for a factory reman in the interest of minimal down time.
Took a couple weeks to get it to me and my mechanic to get it hung
on the plane.

Old January 6th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I think you are referring to the corrosion AD for o-360s with a CS prop?
That particular one doesn't apply to me since I have a fixed prop with
a solid crank.

Thanks