Travolta - did he ever ditch an aircraft?

Old March 16th 04, 05:32 PM
Dale

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Wasn't Dorn the one who bought a jet warbird and then sold it when he
realized it was registered as "experimental/exhibition" so it wasn't much
use to him?

Yeah, he had an F-86 for a while.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 17th 04, 12:30 AM
Blanche

Dale wrote:
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Wasn't Dorn the one who bought a jet warbird and then sold it when he
realized it was registered as "experimental/exhibition" so it wasn't much
use to him?

Yeah, he had an F-86 for a while.

And annoyed as h*ll when Paramount told him he couldn't fly during
the 8 month shooting season of Star Trek.

Old March 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Rick Durden

Pete,

While you were busy criticizing John Travolta for not making public
comments that were in favor of aviation, he was busy giving an
extensive interview to Architectural Digest magazine about his love
for flying and airplanes in support of the long article the magazine
did on his aviation-themed home in Florida. See the April issue.
It's pretty impressive and it outlines the comments of some high
rollers who have been guest of the Travoltas at their home and came to
understant the importance of aviation in his life. He designed, built
and furnished the house every one of us would love to own. From the
compass rose on the floor in the entry way to the paintings and
sculptures of airplanes, and the view out the windows of his G-II and
707 parked outside, it's pretty amazing.

You might also take a look at the series of interviews he gave while
doing the around the world flight as PIC of the 707 he owns.

All the best,
Rick

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Rick Durden" wrote in message
m...
[irrelevant tirade snipped]
It's real easy to cast aspersions on famous folks on the Internet,
yeah, that CB radio for those who can type, but how many of us are
actually getting out there and doing something to support the aviation
we care for?

In other words, you have NO examples of instances where Travolta got "a lot
of good press and attention for general aviation".

It's funny that in your own post, at the same time that you make a lame
attempt to discredit me rather than answering the question, you criticize
the very sort of behavior that you are engaging in.

IMHO, if there were really "a lot of good press and attention for general
aviation", you'd be able to come up with at least a half dozen specific
examples of situations where Travolta actually made a real attempt to use
his public profile to improve general aviation.

Pete

Old March 22nd 04, 01:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Rick Durden" wrote in message
While you were busy criticizing John Travolta

"Busy criticizing"? Get a grip. What I was busy doing was calling you out
for making the false claim that he's a strong proponent of GA. I've
invested very little time and effort criticizing Travolta.

for not making public
comments that were in favor of aviation, he was busy giving an
extensive interview to Architectural Digest magazine about his love
for flying and airplanes in support of the long article the magazine
did on his aviation-themed home in Florida.

You've got to be kidding me. Travolta stroking his ego in a high-end
rich-folk's magazine is supposed to be a promotion of GA?

Could you be any more star-struck?

Old March 22nd 04, 03:06 AM
Les Wilson

Bruce Dickinson - singer for heavy metal band Iron Maiden (very popular in
the 80's). When he's not doing the heavy metal thing, he co-pilots 737's
and 757's commercially for a charter airline in Europe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...812005,00.html
http://www.ironmaiden.com/media/imag...ID00001041.JPG

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
link.net...
How about a list of famous pilots....not pilots for majors or authors
but famous people who happen to be pilots.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:01 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Les Wilson wrote:
Bruce Dickinson - singer for heavy metal band Iron Maiden (very popular in
the 80's). When he's not doing the heavy metal thing, he co-pilots 737's
and 757's commercially for a charter airline in Europe.

AWESOME!!! Rock on dude.

hehehehehe. Man, that made me laugh really really hard.

Gerald

Old March 22nd 04, 04:52 AM
Richard Hertz

Wow, he keeps popping up wherever I turn. I met him when I was a teenager
in the 80's - didn't know who he was - he came to a fencing club in NYC -
seems he has quite a few hobbies.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I forgot to mention in my original post that Steve Morse apparently
would carry a guitar with him at times into the cockpit. Maybe
music for the boarding process.

Gerald

Old March 22nd 04, 08:57 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Another actor whoe flies is Tom Cruise.

I believe that David Crosby of Crosby Stills and Nash is a pilot (but
since he was recently busted in New York City for possession of
marijuana and a handgun he may not be flying for a while).

Gerald Sylvester wrote in message hlink.net...
How about a list of famous pilots....not pilots for majors or authors
but famous people who happen to be pilots.

We already have Harrison Ford and John Travolta.

My entry is guitarist Steve Morse who has played with everyone
from the Dixie Dregs to Manuel Barrueco (classical guitarist) to
Deep Purple and everyone in between. He's an ATP, private glider
and has an A&P certificate. when the Dixie Dregs got out of
their recording contract and they called it quits, he started
flying Twin Otters (???) commercially. And right out of college,
he was wrote off the cost of (I think) a C310 to fly the band around.
Apparently they couldn't afford the taxi's from teh airport to the gigs
but they/he had a plane. Now after winning best guitarist for 5 years
straight in Guitar Player magazine and touring the world too many times
to count, he has I think 4 airplanes. He also wrote a song for
one of the displays at the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers in
Kitty Hawk.

I took my PPL checkride on 12/17/03 (that's 2003, not 1903 ). For
"historical purposes," I took along one of his CD's along (also my
bike pedals since the Wrights were first bike mechanics). It's ok,
call it corny.

ok, what other famous GA pilots are there?

Gerald