FAA announces end of the 8710 form!!

Old May 18th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default FAA announces end of the 8710 form!!

The FAA is slowly removing the requirement to fill out 8710's for
ratings. There is a new web site.
http://aera.faa.gov
The student fills out their checkride app, you approve it as the CFI,
the DE approve it after the checkride and the web site prints a
temporary certificate. All the DE's in the Sacramento FSDO are now
required to have laptops to work with this. The FSDO is excited about
this because Oklahama gets the app in seconds and there is no lost
paperwork.

-Robert

Old May 18th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Opps, wrong web address..
http://acra.faa.gov/acra/default.htm

-Robert

Old May 18th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

This site has been up for at least a year. I registered, then forgot
my loginid, and found that I had to call them during the working hours
to get it. I never do this sort of thing during daylight hours. ;-)
So I've never used it.

Instructors who do use it say the site is confusing.

I find 8710 forms quite easy to use with an electronic document to
fill in,such as word or acrobat.

Old May 18th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

The 8710 method requires a log book endorsements for the checkride,
etc. The FSDO says if you use the on-line system you do not need to
make any log book endorsements whatsoever for the checkride. The
examiner just approves the checkride on the on-line system and its
done.

-Robert

Old May 18th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message...
The FSDO is excited about
this because Oklahama gets the app in seconds and there is no lost
paperwork.

-Robert

Wanna bet?
Google IACRA lost forms and you'll have plenty of examples.
There's even one on rec.aviation.student right now.

David

Old May 18th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

They lost mine. Submitted by IACRA on 1/28 - I kept calling and they
had no explanatin as to why it hadn't been processed. A couple of
weeks ago, I called, someone dug and found out that it had "lost" and
never been put through processing. She apologized, but said she had no
idea why that happened. It was finally approved Friday of last week.

Ten more days until my temporary expires, but they said they would fax
me a copy of the card if it didn't arrive in time.

Wiz

Old May 18th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

That's probably why it was in Beta. They claim its now ready. I'm just
glad my customers don't make their buy decisions on beta software we've
sent them.

-robert

Old May 18th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

The FSDO says if you use the on-line system you do not need to
make any log book endorsements whatsoever for the checkride.

I find this hard to believe. The logbook endorsements are required by
law.
Old May 19th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Thu, 18 May 2006 03:40:15 -0400, "FLAV8R"
wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message...
The FSDO is excited about
this because Oklahama gets the app in seconds and there is no lost
paperwork.

-Robert

Wanna bet?
Google IACRA lost forms and you'll have plenty of examples.
There's even one on rec.aviation.student right now.

As almost any computing professional will attest. There is no such
thing as a successful paperless office. Go strictly to computers and
you are almost guaranteed to lose some information sooner or later.
Of course if you keep rolling backups and backup of the back ups in a
different location as is required in industry it's a little different.
Even then paper is used for short term. The problem with a computer
is when you lose the information that isn't backed up it is gone,
often with no way of conveniently retrieving it.

I know of one large system that was backed up every day at midnight
with a rolling back up. It failed at 2:00 PM. The backs ups restored
everything up till midnight, but all of the data from many labs
through the corporation had go be re-entered from midnight until the
time of the failure. That was many hundreds of hours with a recharge
rate of close to $100 per hour, or some where between $150,000 and
$250,000 dollars.

Yesterday we received a call from our vet. Seems as their computer
system crashed. They lost all of their billing records for the last
two weeks. They have to rebuild all of that one record at a time.

Even large corporations lose computer information. OTOH there are
times they probably wish they could.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

David