Leaving the community

Old November 4th 04, 10:11 PM
Morgans

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
You're overreacting - cutting off your nose to spite your face.

This community is a lot more diverse than you think it is. It's just
that some of us make it a point to keep religion and politics out of
it, because this isn't the right place. Everyone (myself included)
loses it sometimes, when something just can't be left unanswered, but
it's a bad idea. Best to leave it unanswered anyway, and killfile the
posters who keep doing it. The group becomes a lot easier to read,
and you don't miss much that's useful.

Speaking plainly, political and religious comments don't belong here,
and posting them here is uncivil at best. The nature of the political
and religious content on these newsgroups is probably less of a
reflection of the community as a whole and more a reflection of the
inability of those who express these ideas here to find the proper
place and keep it there. Any conclusions you might draw between the
tendency to post political and religious beliefs where they are
clearly inappropriate and the nature of those beliefs are up to you.

Michael

Well put.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 4th 04, 10:43 PM
Greg Butler

Uh huh. Which polls are these? Are they compiled by the same ones
compiling the exit polling data?

This is a prime example of the ignorance of so many people. The exit polls
on election day were actually amazingly accurate. What many people like you
should learn before you start spouting off is what actually happened.
Results from the exit polls was leaked before the polls were complete, i.e.
around 3 or 4 pm, before the polls were closed. The blogging community took
the leak and ran with it. Of course those numbers are not going to be
accurate since the poll is not yet finished! The polling data at the end of
the day was accuate. And yes, the demographic and rationale data is just as
accurate.

Old November 4th 04, 10:45 PM
Greg Butler

And yes, I did watch ALL of the video-taped hearings, just like you.

The reason you saw the information differently from him is because he was
looking at the data in order to find something wrong, most Bush voters,
however, look at the data first, then make up their minds.

Old November 4th 04, 10:46 PM
Greg Butler

To be fair, the only reason that there was a surplus is because the
country got caught up in a technology stock mania. The market was
generating trillions of short term gains and taxes on those gains is what
swelled federal and state coffers. Bush entered the white house with
millions of taxpayers carrying forward losses.

Exactly, thats why it was the first surplus in so long.

Old November 4th 04, 10:47 PM
Greg Butler

Hang on a minute, let me get my violin for some sad music. Better yet let me
get the door for you, then we can play turkey in the straw.

"David Brooks" wrote in message
One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit. Most of my
flight instructors have, I know, been to the right of me politically. I
had
a most enjoyable flight with CJ - although he has since earned my undying
enmity by unapologetically using the term "Final Solution" in connection
with me and people like me, an astonishing thought coming from an avowedly
religious man, but telling and apt.

But now it seems the nation has, albeit by a slim margin, re-elected a
weak,
hypocritical, murderous coward. Three years ago, when some writers on the
left started talking about fascism, I thought that an absurd stretch. No
longer. The parallels are not precise - they never are - but the broad
sweep
and many of the components of a new fascist state are in place. The 48%
who
didn't vote for this disaster keep knocking on my consciousness, but they
are now feeble and impotent. The thugs are in charge.

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home,
into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

So long. Thanks for all the conversations. You guys have made me a better
pilot.

-- David Brooks

Old November 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Greg Butler

David -- The virtual door is always open when/if you choose to come back.

Let me get my welder, we can fix that.

Old November 4th 04, 10:49 PM
Greg Butler

Awww David, hang around! Lots of good stuff to be learned here. I've
lived
on the earth long enough to recognize that living amongst Cro-Magnons can
be amusing. Yeah, they unfortunately have the right to vote,,,, but they
make a few grunts and run in the wall a few times and next thing we know,
they are running back to 'us' for advice and help.

I, too, am worried about the direction the country will take. For
instance, I never thought I'd see the day that something like the "Patriot
Act" would be put into place. Whenever we strip away the very core
constitutional rights of our people, we do a great harm to our nation and
allow the terrorists to exact an even more telling blow on our country.
Fortunately, there are enough men and women of reason who have actively
gone after things like the Patriot Act, aiding in disabling its' most
sinister provisions. It will be men and women of reason and good
conscience that will bring things around, again. I DO believe Kerry was
one of those people, but thankfully there are many like him - congressmen
and women that won't allow those precious and hard-fought-for documents to
be attacked at their very heart; The Constitution of The United States and
The Bill of Rights - never EVER letting us forget that our Constitution
begins with those words; "WE, the people......"

Though I can't say I believe in a divine being or UFO's (so, in my
opinion, we can't depend on extraterrestrials to help us, either) grin,
I can say that I have always believed that in times of dire circumstance
that people of good conscience will always overcome, persevere and
succeed - even when things look to be their darkest. This country will
have it's time to shine, again! :0) I believe that with all my heart!
You should too!!!

Stay with us! :O)

This is what he is sitting at work wanting to see, pity. Well there is none
from me or 99% of the other posters.

Old November 4th 04, 10:51 PM
Matt Whiting

Cecil Chapman wrote:

I have the right to own and fire my Mauser, and, as far as I'm concerned,
that
includes the right to be allowed to buy ammunition for it. Kerry tried to
ban that,

I almost forgot,,,,what for goodness sake do you need to be firing
ammunition as large as the type that the Mauser uses? Are the deer BIGGER
where you live,,, home protection, if that's what you are thinking, favors a
shotgun (that's per some cop friends, who would know).

Mauser is a type of rifle design, not a caliber. Get a clue.

Matt

Old November 4th 04, 11:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Laura Clayton" wrote in message

Apparently you can fool 50% of the people, but there is always a noise
function.

I've often wondered why some people feel the need to insult the
intelligence of their fellow voters who simply do not agree with
their world views.

Actually, according to the Gallup Poll, among Republicans you can fool over
60% of the people.

I can't speak for where Bob's coming from, but the truth remains that for
the most part, people who voted for Bush don't actually have their facts
straight. This is not disputable.

This is hilarious. Do you think that people who voted for Kerry had
their facts any more straight?

Matt

Old November 4th 04, 11:03 PM
Matt Whiting

John T wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Why are all of the conservatives states in places that are cold in the
winter?

They're not.

Such as?

Matt