Cabin Air Pressure

Old December 16th 04, 05:36 PM

Default Cabin Air Pressure

I just got off the phone with Southwest Customer Relations asking a
question about cabin air pressure. Two separate people informed that
cabin air pressure in flight is 14.7 psi (sea level equiv.) and that it
is 10.0 psi (about 10,000 ft equiv.) on the ground.

Obviously, this has to be backwards, right? Even so, don't regulations
require cabin air pressure to be between 5,000 and 8,000 equiv.
altitude? Wouldn't that mean one of the numbers they gave me would
have to be between 12.23 psi (5,000) and around 11.0 psi (8,000)?

The reason I ask is rather important. My friend has a heart condition
and needs pressure of 4,000 ft or less. Southwest does not allow
supplemental oxygen, and he'd rather not use it anyway. The numbers
they give out seem suspect, and I can't take chances here.
Thanks,
Josh

Old December 16th 04, 06:25 PM
Jose

My understanding is that at altitude cabin pressure is about 8000
feet. On the ground it's equal to ambient, possibly a tad more but
nothing noticable. Customer relations won't know, and in a life or
death situation I would never trust Customer relations. Never. Ask a
pilot for Southwest (different airlines may have different policies).
Maybe there's one here. If not, try calling Southwest's hub
airport, and see if you can talk to a pilot.

I don't think any but a private airplane will take you at a cabin
pressure of 4000 feet or less. Your friend may be stuck with that or
ground transport.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old December 16th 04, 06:33 PM
EL

They're definitely confused!

I suspect the "10 PSI" that they quoted was the "pressurization differential" for the airplane, the max. allowable difference
between inside and outside pressure. 14.7 as you probably know is normal sea-level atmospheric pressure.

As another poster indicated, typical "cabin altitude" for airliners is around 8000 feet. You'll definitely see above 4000
feet in a jet, and very likely in a commuter turboprop too.

I think the options are probably limited to ground transport, traveling on another airline with supplemental O2, or maybe if
it's a short trip one of the small "air taxi" carriers that usually fly low with piston-powered airplanes.

Eric Law

Old December 17th 04, 10:15 AM
Slip'er

I just found another fun thing to do on a flight! Thanks. Hmmm...how much
would I freak out a flight attendant when I pull out my laptop with a psia
transducer and start logging data? Is the baggage compartment
unpressurized? I could compare data with a remote logger after the flight
WIFI is frowned upon.

I've monitored the pressure altitude on quite
a few flights on various airlines and have noticed quite a bit of
variation. Some flights were kept very close to the 8000' limit
(around 7900'), while the lowest I've seen while at cruising
altitude was around 5500'.

Old December 17th 04, 02:30 PM
Michelle P

Baggage is pressurized. Animals ride back there. Baggage is usually
under the floor of the cabin on the big girls and behind the cabin for
the little girls.. The floor is not designed to be strong enough to be
part of the pressure containment vessel.
Michelle

Old December 17th 04, 09:56 PM

wrote :
The reason I ask is rather important. My friend has a heart condition
and needs pressure of 4,000 ft or less.

I would never bet my life on a Southwest customer service rep :-)

I've had an altimeter watch for a around 10 yrs. and always monitor
the cabin altitude on commercial flights. At cruising altitudes above
30K ft. I've always seen a cabin altitude of between 6K ft. (newer
planes) and 8K ft. (older models). I believe the regs call out a
maximum altitude of 8K ft.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)