About time -- Comanche 250

Old January 15th 04, 09:39 PM
CriticalMass

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article ,
Tony wrote:

72/80 with only 10 hours on the plane in the last year. Our first
projects a Paint, interior, new panel, and a venire throttle, and

Well, if you're doing all that it might be a drop in the bucket, but
I'd say fly it for a while before deciding you need a vernier throttle.
For one thing, it will be very expensive because the low-throttle
gear warning horn is a mechanical monstrosity that is part of the
throttle assembly.

Webco sells them for $209
http://www.webcoaircraft.com/cat-front.html. "Very expensive" is a
relative term, but, trust me, that will not be among the most expensive
maintenance items for a Comanche owner (I am one).

The vernier throttle works with the existing warning horn, although I
ditched that a while back for the voice warning system through the audio
panel, which takes the place of the factory horn you never hear anyway
with headphones on.

Old January 15th 04, 09:41 PM
CriticalMass

Tony wrote:

The throttle was real stiff and my dad just wants to change it out. We
have an A&P to do work on the plane (he does lots of comanches)for
flying time and he said its no problem to change it, it take about 2
hours

Time to replace it, and vernier's the way to go. Stiff means the
strands of the cable are starting to break inside the cable housing,
rubbing and causing friction inside the housing. I had the same thing
happen to mine.

Old January 16th 04, 07:15 AM
Tony

We orderd the throttel from Webco and there is no trouble with putting
it in and getting it approved. Webco sends in the 337 and my A&P will
install it, And he wrights it off and sends it in to the FAA, and sings
the log book. DONE go fly(hs and IA also)

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old January 16th 04, 12:21 PM
CriticalMass

Tony wrote:

We orderd the throttel from Webco and there is no trouble with putting
it in and getting it approved. Webco sends in the 337 and my A&P will
install it, And he wrights it off and sends it in to the FAA, and sings
the log book. DONE go fly(hs and IA also)

Yes, I don't even remember anything about the paperwork. It was a
non-event for me, the owner. The shop took care of everything, and had
no trouble with the FAA doing it.

Where are you located? I need a new shop to work on my airplane, and I
saw in one of your earlier posts that yours "does lots of Comanches".
That makes a difference.

Old January 16th 04, 07:26 PM
Mike Z.

Maybe less moisture there.

Here in Michigan they are ice makers. No big deal. Just nice to know.

Mike Z

"AethelredII" wrote in message ...
Hmmmm, I have 1000's of hrs in 250's and fly out of Montana and Wyoming. NEVER
once have I EVER picked up carb ice. Ever. I have never had to pull carb heat
on landing EVER! The 540 manual says don't pull carb heat unless you get carb
ice! (I thought that was why they ran the intake through the oil pan)?

In over 10 years of flying 250's I have never pulled carb heat. except on every
run up.

When I fly my 206 I pull carb heat for landing all the time. Hmmm, that's what
the Cessna book says to do.

Maybe I just got a good 540. But I know may of my 250 friends that must have
gotten good ones too, as they have never, ever had carb ice problems.

Ae