Housekeeping chores

Old April 5th 04, 03:03 PM
Ray Andraka

I agree, an autopilot is a useful tool, which is why I added one to my
airplane. The need for one is, I think, also dependent on the airplane. If
you've got an airplane that is a little squirrelly, you'll need an autopilot
more than if you have one that handles more like a truck. I fly a cherokee Six,
which is incredibly stable for IFR operations...that is to say that it handles
like a sled...it takes a bit of effort to make it turn at all. Given the
stability of this airframe, an autopilot was not as high a priority as some
other things. If it were a Tiger or Bonanza, I'm sure the importance would have
carried more weight.

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Under a situation of limited funds, one must weigh alternatives. This
article (from a autopilot manufacturer, so take what they say with a grain
of salt) does make some damn good, well reasoned points (in the form of a
decision tree at the end of the article).

www.s-tec.com/pdf/AutoPilotBook.pdf

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old April 5th 04, 08:18 PM
Tom Sixkiller

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Under a situation of limited funds, one must weigh alternatives. This
article (from a autopilot manufacturer, so take what they say with a

grain
of salt) does make some damn good, well reasoned points (in the form of

decision tree at the end of the article).

www.s-tec.com/pdf/AutoPilotBook.pdf

And as you and the article state it should be only a TOOL, not a crutch. IN
a similar vein, it should be used like cruise control in a car; it should
not cause a deterioration in the ability to drive (and no, I'm not referring
to the Urban Legend® of the guy in the motor home that turned on cruise
control and went back to fix a sam'ich. ) :~)

Old April 5th 04, 08:28 PM
Ray Andraka

FWIW, although both my cars are equipped with cruise control, I don't use it at
all. Anyway, I think we are pretty much in agreement that an autopilot is a
useful tool and should not be depended on as a surrogate for pilot ability. If
I can't fly as well as the autopilot, I have no business being there. That
said, my point was that (for me anyway) an autopilot is not a must have, but it
is fairly high on the list of desirables.

Old April 5th 04, 08:50 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
FWIW, although both my cars are equipped with cruise control, I don't use

it at
all. Anyway, I think we are pretty much in agreement that an autopilot is

useful tool and should not be depended on as a surrogate for pilot

ability. If
I can't fly as well as the autopilot, I have no business being there.

That
said, my point was that (for me anyway) an autopilot is not a must have,

but it
is fairly high on the list of desirables.

Out here in the West, where drinving distances are ENORMOUS (even in town),
CC is a necessity. For one thing, it'll hold the speed better than a human
can and thus provide better fuel economy. I shudder to think of driving
through Kansas without CC, especially with highway patrol hiding in the
bushes. :~)

Old April 6th 04, 01:04 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Jon Kraus wrote:
I never said you couldn't fly IFR without an autopilot. For myself being
new to IFR flying I wouldn't chance IMC without the autopilot working.
Since my club only has newer planes, they all have two axis autopilots,
that way if something happens (spacial disorientation) I'm covered. I
think I'll bring up this topic in a new thread and see what kind of

I know you didn't say that, hence the smiley after my statement.
However, and this is a serious statement, I would never fly IFR if I
even thought I'd have to depend on the AP to rescue me from spatial
disorientation.

Matt

Old April 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Ray Andraka wrote:
FWIW, although both my cars are equipped with cruise control, I don't use it at
all. Anyway, I think we are pretty much in agreement that an autopilot is a
useful tool and should not be depended on as a surrogate for pilot ability. If
I can't fly as well as the autopilot, I have no business being there. That
said, my point was that (for me anyway) an autopilot is not a must have, but it
is fairly high on the list of desirables.

I use my CC all the time, but then driving is a lot more boring than
flying IFR. And if my CC dies, it likely won't crash my car!! :-)

Matt

Old April 6th 04, 01:26 AM
Ray Andraka

I live in the Northeast. If I used my CC, I'd likely crash my car ;-)

RI use my CC all the time, but then driving is a lot more boring than

Old April 6th 04, 02:10 AM
Jon Kraus

We'll we don't go up into the clag saying "I think I'll get spatially
disoriented today" do we... You don't have to depend on it but - "what
your facial expression would be after you were mixed up in the clag and
the AP helped you out" PRICELESS.. :-)

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

I never said you couldn't fly IFR without an autopilot. For myself
being new to IFR flying I wouldn't chance IMC without the autopilot
working. Since my club only has newer planes, they all have two axis
autopilots, that way if something happens (spacial disorientation)
I'm covered. I think I'll bring up this topic in a new thread and see
what kind of responses I get. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old April 6th 04, 10:51 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Jon Kraus wrote:
We'll we don't go up into the clag saying "I think I'll get spatially
disoriented today" do we... You don't have to depend on it but - "what
your facial expression would be after you were mixed up in the clag and
the AP helped you out" PRICELESS.. :-)

It is the expression I'd get when I lose proficiency and my failed AP
takes me into an attitude that I no longer have the skills to recover
from that I worry about. That's priceless also, but in a much more
permanent way... :-) Although, your wife might be happy if your life
insurance is paid up!

Matt

Old April 6th 04, 03:39 PM
Peter R.

Ray Andraka ) wrote:

FWIW, although both my cars are equipped with cruise control, I don't use
it at all.

The day an automobile's cruise control will track the lane without drifting
to either side is the day I consider the CC similar to an aircraft's AP.

In its current incarnation, the CC is analogous to the aircraft's locking
throttle.

--
Peter