Question For Old Naval Aviators

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Flashnews

Default Question For Old Naval Aviators

Check these numbers - the deck was the Forrestal and there was minimal wind
over the deck, actually at anchor in Piraeus, but nose into the wind. The
deck launch was never a problem, the landing at full flaps and simply a
touch down short of the wires with a cut pass to a brake stop before the end
of the island. No other aircraft short of an offset E-2 on deck. Fuel load
minimal and just two people at the controls. Trapping was always an option
but it would cause a residual work effort. Mission was to just fly around
and pick up the mail and return. I may be crazy but you had enough deck to
cut pass, taxi a bit, fire it up and take off again

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:10:05 GMT, "Flashnews"
wrote:

If the airwing was sent ashore and the deck left reasonably empty the C-1
COD's often deck landed and deck departed while the carriers were in port
so
the arresting crews did not have to be mobilized from liberty. Leaving
one
or two wires working just made things smoother but a shift had to work. In
all this enabled the ships crew to cycle, the mail to be delivered, the
ship
to be on a liberty schedule, and the staff pukes to get their flight time.

What kind of weight did a C-1 fly at?

I just looked at my S-2D/E/G NATOPS. At 23,000 lb., standard day,
zero headwind, takeoff roll was just under 1000', so a deck run at
anchor might be possible (but would be interesting). The same
aircraft on a 99 kt. approach (full flaps), 90 kt. touchdown would
have a landing roll of almost 2500 ft. That would seem to preclude
non-arrested landings at anchor.

Of course if the COD were substantially lighter the take off run would
be less. And a lighter weight would mean a lower landing speed.
Making a fast "interpolation" taking the weight to 19,000 lbs. cuts
the distance to about 2100 ft. To get under 1000' requires between
35-40 kts. of headwind.

To get 1000 feet or follout you'd have to land a wheels length ahead
of the rounddown. I don't think, even then, a 27C had the deck length
to do it; maybe a FORESTAL did.

While the S-2 is probably "dirtier" than a C-1 I wonder if it would
make that much difference at low speeds.

And even under the best of circumstance God forbid you have a problem.

Bill Kambic, former Stoof IP

Veteran: VT-28, VS-27, VS-30, VS-73
Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

questions for Naval aviators Mike W. Naval Aviation 8 March 13th 05 10:48 PM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
Too many Naval Aviators J Naval Aviation 0 March 3rd 04 06:48 PM
Naval aviators... Kulvinder Singh Matharu Military Aviation 1 August 7th 03 09:34 PM
Naval aviators... Tarver Engineering Naval Aviation 0 August 7th 03 09:34 PM