Ventus 2c vs. 2cx

Old June 20th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Ventus 2c vs. 2cx

All -

I've spent a long time studying Schleicher aircraft; not as much
looking at S-H ships. Can anyone explain how much of a performance
difference there is between a V2c and a V2cx? I understand the
fuselage changed between the two; any major improvements or
innovations, or was the D2 fuselage just slightly better and easier to
manufacture? Any aerodynamic differences (other than the fuse) between
the 2c and the 2cx? Any comments on whether an "older" 2c is
competitive with an ASW-27 or other current 15m ships?

Thanks a bunch,

--Noel

Old June 20th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:39:34 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
All - I've spent a long time studying Schleicher aircraft; not as much looking at S-H ships. Can anyone explain how much of a performance difference there is between a V2c and a V2cx? I understand the fuselage changed between the two; any major improvements or innovations, or was the D2 fuselage just slightly better and easier to manufacture? Any aerodynamic differences (other than the fuse) between the 2c and the 2cx? Any comments on whether an "older" 2c is competitive with an ASW-27 or other current 15m ships? Thanks a bunch, --Noel

Different horizontal tail with new thinner airfoil. CX is considered to be better.
UH
Old June 20th 13, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:39:34 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
All -

I've spent a long time studying Schleicher aircraft; not as much

looking at S-H ships. Can anyone explain how much of a performance

difference there is between a V2c and a V2cx? I understand the

fuselage changed between the two; any major improvements or

innovations, or was the D2 fuselage just slightly better and easier to

manufacture? Any aerodynamic differences (other than the fuse) between

the 2c and the 2cx? Any comments on whether an "older" 2c is

competitive with an ASW-27 or other current 15m ships?

Thanks a bunch,

--Noel

Noel,

Duckhawk!

Dream big, :-)
Craig
Old June 20th 13, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5 ugly

The entire tail, horizontal and vertical are thinner along with a different airfoil for the wing extensions.
Old June 20th 13, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
StaPo

- completely different outside wing panels with Maughmer winglets on 2Cx
- MTOW 600 kg on 2Cx
btw: some people say that performance difference between 2Cx and 2C is bigger than difference between 2C and 1C/17.6, when all these ships loaded to their respective MTOWs...
Old June 20th 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Noel,

Be sure and find one with NDH. Nobody is really sure what NDH is, but
everyone knows how important it is.

http://www.soaravenal.com/doon6.htm

I might have one of those tails lying around. Or one like it. They're
all about the same, right?

Thanks, Bob K.
Old June 20th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:56:36 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Noel,

Be sure and find one with NDH. Nobody is really sure what NDH is, but

everyone knows how important it is.

http://www.soaravenal.com/doon6.htm

I might have one of those tails lying around. Or one like it. They're

all about the same, right?

Thanks, Bob K.

thank god I wasn't the only one that thought of the Lingus 2CX.

the trick to finding one with No Damage History is to get one with No History!
Old June 20th 13, 10:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:39:34 AM UTC+2, noel.wade wrote:
All -

I've spent a long time studying Schleicher aircraft; not as much

looking at S-H ships. Can anyone explain how much of a performance

difference there is between a V2c and a V2cx? I understand the

fuselage changed between the two; any major improvements or

innovations, or was the D2 fuselage just slightly better and easier to

manufacture? Any aerodynamic differences (other than the fuse) between

the 2c and the 2cx? Any comments on whether an "older" 2c is

competitive with an ASW-27 or other current 15m ships?

Thanks a bunch,

--Noel

Noel
the Ventus 2 was conceived as an 18metre ship and I think it was not comparable in performance to an ASW 27 in 15metre

However if you are looking just for a ship for pleasure flying the Ventus 2C in 18metre is quite nice as the wings are not as stiff as the Ventus 2cx and also the change to the wings and elevator as mentioned before makes the Ventus 2cx more competitive in 15 and 18 metre and also a bit sharper in handling.

Mottley
Old June 20th 13, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

The results at World Championships level don't suggest that the V2 lacks
performance.

The actual difference between any of the top performing gliders in a given
comp class...
Std (D2/LS8),
15M (ASW27/ ASW29 / V2a / V2ax),
18m (V2c / V2cx / ASW29 / JS1)
...is tiny.
More than made up for by decisions made by the pilot.

(Apologies to owners of ships from other manufacturers!)

Open class may be a different matter, too many new designs to provide any
history of results.

PF

Old June 20th 13, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

Noel,

I have a couple hundred hours in a 2c. It's a nice glider and competitive with the 27.

There is negligible performance difference in 15 meter. Few pilots can differentiate the performance in 18 meter between 2c and 2cx.

Are you evaluating for a purchase? If so focus on price, instruments, equipment, total time and condition.

Sean Franke

FS: Ventus 2AX John C Soaring 0 September 8th 12 01:29 PM
Ventus 2C W&B - 15M vs 18M [email protected] Soaring 0 March 29th 06 10:20 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 January 17th 05 06:48 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 18th 04 09:39 PM
FS Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 15th 04 10:10 PM