All this Barron Thomas stuff

Old September 6th 05, 08:31 PM
xyzzy

Default All this Barron Thomas stuff

You do have to give it to Thomas for coming on here and debating this
stuff.

Of course in some ways he is blind to how he is perceived, as is
everyone probably. His response, which is basically, "if you haven't
bought from me you have no standing to evaluate me" shows that he does
not see the information about himself that he gives in his responses.

From seeing his ads, hearing people's stories about him, and from
reading his own responses on this "blog" it seems clear that he has a
business model that is very successful for him, and for some significant
percentage of airplane buyers who can work with him on his terms. If
you aren't in the percentage of airplane buyers who can and are willing
to work assembly-line style, move 'em in, move 'em out, buy it now
without bugging me with too many questions because someone else will if
you don't, with Barron Thomas on Barron Thomas' terms, then he really
has no use for you and would like you to please stop breathing his air.

Apparently the percentage of buyers that can and are willing to work
that way is high enough to keep him in business, which is good for him
but he does seem to be disproportionately SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU
that prospective buyers who might have a few extra questions, need some
additional handholding, or expect appointments to be promptly kept,
would dare to complain about it! The fact that 3000 people have bought
from him proves all of them wrong!

Barron's business seems to be based on lots of volume and in the course
of that some people are going to be slighted or mistreated and they will
complain about it, but Barron doesn't seem to understand that may be a
price of doing business the way he does.

Old September 7th 05, 12:13 AM
Dave S

xyzzy wrote:
but Barron doesn't seem to understand that may be a
price of doing business the way he does.

Sounds to me like he understands it quite well, and he knows what his
niche is. He is in the business of SELLING, not keeping everyone happy.
As long as people are willing to buy what he selling, in the manner that
he's selling things... and that moves the inventory to his liking...
then why should he break his neck trying to keep 100% percent happy.

He's what I call a 90% person. He figures 90% (or whatever his number
is) is good enough, and he's not going to DOUBLE or TRIPLE his effort to
make that last 10% happy. Bad return on his time, effort, and sweat equity.

I'm not saying I'd buy from him, but I can see where he is coming from.
And the key to this is: You dont have to buy from him either. If you do,
good, if you dont, he wont miss you. There is someone else next in line
with $$$ burning a hole in their pocket.

Dave

Old September 7th 05, 02:38 AM
xyzzy

Dave S wrote:

xyzzy wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree except my point (probably not very well written) is that
he sure seems to be willing to expend energy to argue with the last 10%
instead of just realizing their gripes will always be there as a
consequnce of his philosophy. He wants to blow off the 10% and still
have them love him.

--
"You can support the troops but not the president"
--Representative Tom Delay (R-TX), during the Kosovo war.

Old September 7th 05, 05:11 AM
Newps

xyzzy wrote:

Of course in some ways he is blind to how he is perceived, as is
everyone probably. His response, which is basically, "if you haven't
bought from me you have no standing to evaluate me" shows that he does
not see the information about himself that he gives in his responses.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But it's his business and he can run
it as he sees fit. I would like to see the web page upgraded as it's a
pretty **** poor effort on a website.

Old September 7th 05, 05:54 AM
George Patterson

xyzzy wrote:
You do have to give it to Thomas for coming on here and debating this
stuff.

I reserve judgement on that until I see him post a reply within a few days of
the original complaint. He may have just happened on this newsgroup (and I
suspect this is the case), but posting his side of a situation in which the
original post was several months ago makes it look like he was hoping the
original poster wasn't here anymore.

Since the two most recent complaintants *are* here, all his post did was open
this up to a rehash of their complaints. Not a fortunate outcome for Mr. Thomas.

George Patterson
Old September 7th 05, 02:59 PM
xyzzy

George Patterson wrote:

xyzzy wrote:

You do have to give it to Thomas for coming on here and debating this
stuff.

I reserve judgement on that until I see him post a reply within a few
days of the original complaint. He may have just happened on this
newsgroup (and I suspect this is the case), but posting his side of a
situation in which the original post was several months ago makes it
look like he was hoping the original poster wasn't here anymore.

I bet he posted so late because the post was just recently brought to
his attention.

Old September 8th 05, 01:04 PM
Gary

I'm sure Mr Barron Thomas is a very good person and is as fair as anyone
can be in busness!

My only complaint is ( and this is no fault of any aircraft broker) that
almost any airplane built or flying that carries more than one person is way
beyond my price range.
Hell I have even had to put my training on hold cause of the recent surge in
fuel prices. I can only hope that this is temporary and before I have
forgotten everything I have learned the price of flying comes back down out
of the stratosphere and down to a level that most of us poor folk can
afford.

Meanwhile I will go down to my local airport and hang on the fence and watch
the planes takeoff and land, and dream.

Old September 9th 05, 03:13 AM
Bob Fry

"G" == Gary writes:

G My only complaint is ( and this is no fault of any aircraft
G broker) that almost any airplane built or flying that carries
G more than one person is way beyond my price range.

Eh, well, if you're that close to the edge...what about ultralights?