First plane

Old February 14th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default First plane

I have to agree with Blanche, even though she appears to counter my
advice. I said that for most folks, trying to own a first airplane while
learning to fly one may be a bit too much. She aptly pointed out one
exception - when you have the excess cash. In that case, owning becomes
a LOT easier. Whenever something is amiss with the plane, you simply
flip the keys to the local FBO (or independent wrench) and say "fix 'er
up". Not a lot of overhead in that.

In my case, we were REALLY cash squeezed (new house with double the
mortgage, modest income, both of us training at the same time, double
the fuel, niggling repairs - that damned A/C system). With both of us
going up 3 times a week, the instruction and fuel bill racked up an
impressive total rather quickly. Dealing with the plane repairs was
pretty distracting.

If we had the dough, I would have never given it a second thought.

I also strongly agree with her advice that most owner wannabees ignore
- PATIENCE. As I have said many times, there is a lot of flying junk out
there. You DON'T want one of those as a first airplane.

Good Luck,
Mike

Blanche wrote:

coming into the discussion rather late, but let me add a few data points.
As Tim and Mike and others discuss, there are advantages to renting
various aircraft before buying. On the other hand, far too many schools
have just one model aircraft, so the student must either go to another
school or wait until passing checkride to rent something else.

While a student, I had the opportunity to fly C152, C172 and Cherokees
(both 160 & 180 hp). Perhaps it's a gender thing, or just issues with
aging, but I really never enjoyed the Cessna. Let us NOT get into the
high-wing/low-wing argument (again) but for me, the advantage of not
having to climb on the roof to check fuel and being able to see the
airport when turning in the pattern were critical.

As for dealing with both learning and owning, I really don't see much
conflict. I solo'd in the C172, did the XCs in the C172 but bought the
cherokee before the checkride -- and took the checkride in it. In
all fairness, I had been looking for an aircraft for about a year
(when you're working full-time, traveling extensively and dealing with
2 major family emergencies, flying gets in the way sometimes).
I was not happy with the rental aircraft. Why? Because far too many
people treat rental aircraft the same way people treat rent cars.

Is owning practical for everyone? No, not really. We've had the discussions
here repeatedly as to the pros & cons. But I don't believe the
argument "too much to learn and own at the same time" is valid. As
a student I was dealing with 4 unknowns:

my schedule
instructor's schedule
aircraft schedule
weather

Owning an aircraft means item 3 is no longer an issue (unless it's down
for annual or repairs). And out here in the west, if the weather is
questionable, it doesn't matter who owns the aircraft, the beginning
student is probably not going to be flying.

Owning an aircraft meant I learned more about the systems of the
aircraft and much better than if I was renting and only needed to know
enough to pass the exams.

Is it expensive? Sure. On the other hand, have you seen the price tag
for a day lift ticket out in the Rockies these days? There's a reason
so many people buy the early season pass specials -- and the ski areas
are beginning to regret it, too. $82 at Vail per day. Yet the early
season pass is under $400. Ski 5 days and you're now skiing for
free. I gave up skiing when I started flying lessons. I can only have
one exhorbitant hobby. Besides, the traffic from Denver to Vail (or
Copper or A-Basin or Keystone or Mary Jane) has become impossible
and far too aggravating. From my front door, I can get to 12K faster
in the cherokee than I can on my skis. (2 hours door to ski lift at
Copper assuming traffic moves at a reasonable rate, 1 hour door to
12K in the cherokee and traffic isn't an issue).

The one strong suggestion to the OP is to NOT rush into a purchase.
There will always be another aircraft that suits your needs.