Knots 2U gap seals

Old February 4th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Default Knots 2U gap seals

Hi Jay!

Yeh, I asked him about that... (how long they would last)

Two possibilities..

Kept outside? probably 10 years...

Hangared, ? - " how old are you?" "..59 ". - he said "I should
not worry about it"...

He sells enough (replacement) tape for the 3 surfaces for 60 bucks...

The tape is almost invisible.. NOBODY notices it until I point it out
to them.

And that is on new pure white Imron...... On dark colours, it's
gone...

Seriously tho.... a local 140 here has the K2U seals. They work fine.
They took off and climbed..and the ailerons "froze". He was afraid
to try breaking them free in case they stuck again at some position
other than neutral. He "ruddered" it back to a safe landing, winds
were calm.

If it had been X-wind or gusty? He said the did not want to think
about that...

Dave

- On 3 Feb 2007 19:54:19 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Mattisons' Gap seals do the same, fraction of the price, and don't
freeze.

That's a good option. Art Mattson's gap seals are just plain-old 3M
tape, and (from what I've heard) they work great.

And, when they eventually wear out and you have to reinstall them, you
just buy another roll of tape. (Really!)

Old February 5th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

That's a good option. Art Mattson's gap seals are just plain-old 3M
tape, and (from what I've heard) they work great.

I wondered if you really needed an STC to stick some tape on your plane.

Wrenches? What are the rules on this one? It ain't "mounted" and it
surely is not permanent. It modifies nothing.

Mike
Old February 5th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article k.net,
Mike Spera wrote:

I wondered if you really needed an STC to stick some tape on your plane.

Acro pilots have been using 3M tape for years without an STC.
An article in SPORT AEROBATICS years ago described how to do it and
included drawings and photos.
Old February 5th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike Spera wrote:

That's a good option. Art Mattson's gap seals are just plain-old 3M
tape, and (from what I've heard) they work great.

I wondered if you really needed an STC to stick some tape on your plane.

Wrenches? What are the rules on this one? It ain't "mounted" and it
surely is not permanent. It modifies nothing.

Mike

It changes airflow, therefor the aerodynamics, which means it requires
FAA paper is how I see it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 5th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"john smith" wrote in message
In article k.net,
Mike Spera wrote:

I wondered if you really needed an STC to stick some tape on your plane.

Acro pilots have been using 3M tape for years without an STC.

Sailplane pilots also.

I might also add that it needs to be properly applied and carefully
preflighted. If the leading edge of the tape on your tailfeathers pops up, it
can cause some really memorable handling problems.

Vaughn

Old February 5th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Nathan Young

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 17:30:15 GMT, "JAMES VOYTEK"
wrote:

I am thinking of fitting K2U gap seals on my Archer.
Are they worth the cost ?
Thanks for all input

I have the gap seals on my Cherokee: stabilator, flap, aileron, and do
believe they are worth it from a handling standpoint. I notice a
pretty big difference when I fly a non-gap seal equipped
Cherokee/Archer.

Also, do a Google Groups search on K2U + Archer. This subject has
been discussed several times on Usenet, so you might find additional
feedback there.

-Nathan

VG's & Gap seals.. Pirep Dave Piloting 2 December 26th 06 06:15 AM
Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How? Rick Umali Piloting 29 February 15th 06 05:40 AM
Gel headset seals Brian Burger Piloting 2 September 26th 04 12:00 AM
Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM