AnyWhere Map w/Dell Axim

Old February 5th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default AnyWhere Map w/Dell Axim

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Dave said:
They should have talked to some users B 4 they built a "touch" screen
into a cell phone, - what fun that is going to be!

Why? I use the touch screen on my Treo all the time. One of the nifty
features of the iPhone is that when you raise it to your ear, the touch
screen turns off so your ear doesn't start hitting buttons.

What's so nifty about that? There was no problem with the Treo's touch
screen.

Old February 5th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Westerkamp-TBRR

I looked into FlightMaster as I already have a Treo 650 (Did not realize
there was a Palm OS application for Aviation GPS) what yoke mount seems to
work bestwith the Treo?

Peter

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote:

Hi Guys,
I am in the market for a new hand held GPS.
Looking at Garmin, Lowrance and AvMap, but just recently found the
AnyWhere
Map Software, with using a BlueTooth GPS and Dell Axim Pocket PC.
To me it looks like a great combination of screen size, ease of use and
"ugradebility". Cost certainly not bad either at $399 for the Axim, $95
for
the software and about $85 for a Bt388 GPS. xm Wheather is an available
upgrade too.
Certainly would appreciate some feed back from users.

Wait for the iPhone.

Old February 5th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" said:
I looked into FlightMaster as I already have a Treo 650 (Did not realize
there was a Palm OS application for Aviation GPS) what yoke mount seems to
work bestwith the Treo?

There is a company at http://www.aeropda.com/ that sells complete systems
with PDAs with FlightMaster and CoPilot pre-loaded, but also sells yoke
mounts separately for Treos and Palm PDAs.

I should mention that I'm not 100% unbiased observer here, because they
send me a few bucks every month to support my waypoint generator.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Alright. Talk. Don't make me reach over there and pull your still-pumping
Old February 5th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Newps wrote:
john smith wrote:
In article ,
"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote:

Hi Guys,
I am in the market for a new hand held GPS.
Looking at Garmin, Lowrance and AvMap, but just recently found the
AnyWhere Map Software, with using a BlueTooth GPS and Dell Axim
Pocket PC. To me it looks like a great combination of screen size,
ease of use and "ugradebility". Cost certainly not bad either at
$399 for the Axim, $95 for the software and about $85 for a Bt388
GPS. xm Wheather is an available upgrade too.
Certainly would appreciate some feed back from users.

Wait for the iPhone.

No third party apps. Verizon turned them down. The iPhone is
already dead.

I'm not an Apple fan boy but a lot of people said pretty much the same thing
about the iPod.

Old February 5th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

No third party apps. Verizon turned them down. The iPhone is
already dead.

I'm not an Apple fan boy but a lot of people said pretty much the same thing
about the iPod.

Different markets. Everybody's phone is already a music player. The
difference is the interface, that's where the iPod scored. But now they
want $500 for a phone and music player combined. And I'm not allowed to
put other programs on it. No way, no how.
Old February 5th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Newps wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

No third party apps. Verizon turned them down. The iPhone is
already dead.

I'm not an Apple fan boy but a lot of people said pretty much the
same thing about the iPod.

Different markets. Everybody's phone is already a music player. The
difference is the interface, that's where the iPod scored. But now
they want $500 for a phone and music player combined. And I'm not
allowed to put other programs on it. No way, no how.

I agree the price is silly but it won't hold at that price for long and I'm
not 100% sure it is going to be completely locked as a lot of phones are
because it is going to be running a version of the Mac OS.

And you are right that the interface is what made the iPod a hit and since
I've not really touched the iPhone interface yet we'll have to wait and see.

Old February 5th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Paul, it takes both hands and eyeballs to operate a touch screen
anything...

You cannot "feel" the buttons when dialing , often with one hand, and
a lot of people do this....

....pick up phone, dial by feel...

I-phone.. may be a "novelity" for those that want to talk to someone
on their I-Pod.

....if there is anything left after the Cisco dudes are finished with
them....

Dave

Old February 5th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
smf

I have an Ipaq with map and wx weather. Its a good system. I use it for
weather and a backup gps, I have a 430 for primary. The plates are too small
for me to use on the ipaq. The weather helps out in the summer down here in
s.florida. I also use the ipaq for auto use with garmin software.
I made a mount for my plane that is hardwired for power. Has BT for gps and
wx.
I have a glasairII.

Steve
"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a new hand held GPS.

Looking at Garmin, Lowrance and AvMap, but just recently found the
AnyWhere Map Software, with using a BlueTooth GPS and Dell Axim Pocket PC.

To me it looks like a great combination of screen size, ease of use and
"ugradebility". Cost certainly not bad either at $399 for the Axim, $95
for the software and about $85 for a Bt388 GPS. xm Wheather is an
available upgrade too.

Certainly would appreciate some feed back from users.

Have a great day flying!

Peter

Old February 6th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bruce McFadden

I use the Anywhere system with an HP4700, and I have no complaints.
Anywhere has just released a new update version which is great. Approach
Pocket Plates are nice, but a bit small... I just use them as back up.
Always connects easily. Just great for another level of situational
awareness with my 430 and MFD.

I also own a Dell X51v. I have had lots of problems with the WiFi., to the
extent that Dell has replaced it... it's still not as good and the HP4700.
I have not used Blue tooth on the Axim, but I wouldn't take a chance using
it for my Anywhere.

My advice: Ipaq or HP
--

Bruce McFadden Birmingham, AL
PA32-260 N5594J

Patrick Henry --"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will do the
plowing for those that don't!!

Old February 6th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

I put a few hundred hours on my Axim X50v and X51v. Never had a problem
with the bluetooth. Or the WiFi for that matter. But using a PDA in
the cockpit is cumbersome at best. A handheld is far better.